How do you install a swing lock?

This is a lock with a plate that is screwed into the door jamb. It has hinges on one side and a small metal piece that is then supposed to swing over in front of the door when it is closed. It is then supposed to prevent the door from being opened inward.

I’ve followed the directions but it doesn’t work. The metal piece swings over as it is supposed to, but it doesn’t catch. When I try to open the door the metal piece is pushed aside by the door. There is a little tiny screw I’m supposed to insert “to allow quick emergency door opening,” but I don’t understand how it relates to the operation of the lock.

I hope this description is clear enough. Any help appreciated!

And to think… I was gonna ask you why you would need to lock your swing! Visions of little urchins surreptitiously abusing your swingset. But seriously, I am familiar with quite a bit of hardware items though I’ve never heard of a swing lock. Sorry!

Since I would consider inviting Osip over with bribes of Pizza and alcohol is out of the question. Let me see if I can help from afar.
Yes, Osip is kind and trys to help even if you are to good to offer Osip food and booze.

With the door open try to swing the plate over. Once you have done this, try pushing in on the plate. If the plate does not move. Then you have screwed it to far in and when the door closes the door stops it from moving the full length and locking.
If I am thinking of the device you are describing. It works like this. The hinged plate is lifted up and swung 90 degrees to sit behind the door. to open you lift slightly and rotate plate back to align both plates (swing plate and mounted plate) in a line.

Is tough to tell ya what is going on but try it with the door open and let me know if that works. If it does not I may have a few more ideas.

Osip

Osip!! Can you get over to South Carolina in a hurry? The pizza should be here any second! :wink:

Your description sounds like what I’ve got, I think I understand what you are saying and I’ll start by trying what you suggested. Thank you!

South Carolina?
Um… not anytime soon I fear. Of course with luck I can talk you thru getting it mounted and installed correctly.
I would fear the service call for me to come to South Carolina would be a tad on the expensive side.
Of course if I drive to Boston this June for the National locksmith convention I can make a detour if you promise me a couch to snore on :slight_smile:

any question catch me here or thru e-mail.

Osip