How do you plan to spend election night?

Notwithstanding covid, I went to election-night parties in 2000, 2004, and 2016. I did not go to parties in '92, '96, '08, and '12.

I’m not going to any parties.

I work third shift. On election nights I usually burn a vacation or comp day and sit up all night drinking and screaming at my TV. 2016 was a hoot. Watching those saps crying over Hillary and me yelling “No way! Are you shitting me? NFW! Bwahaha!” I hate Trump but that night was sweet!

But they’ve limited time off election night due to possible protests. So I’ll just go to work and check the news when I am able. Won’t be much fun.

Trying not to start biting my nails.

– I’ve got a routine planning board meeting that night, which I’ll do by Zoom. It’ll probably be over just around when the earliest polls start closing. I expect to spend as much of the night as I can stand compulsively refreshing multiple news sites, and occasionally checking in here while I’m at it.

In 2016 I wound up going to bed earlier than expected, because I wanted to be able to keep a bit of hope until morning. Am hoping that 2020 goes better. Hoping it goes a whole lot better, in fact, as unless Biden gets a blowout it may wind up in the courts.

I’ll stay up and watch TV until I can’t stay up any longer.

As for the last presidential election, my usual late-night talk show is The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and I watched his live election special on Showtime (sister network of CBS, his broadcast home) that night. Everyone thought that the night would end with a Democratic victory and it was interesting watching that night as the mood changed at one point, as he and his guests realized that Trump was going to win. I wish I could re-watch that special, but I don’t think they’ve ever made it available.

watching a movie or sports or TV show. I will check results around 11

Probably watching CNN and keeping my fingers crossed.

Watching CNN and MSNBC, plus a local station since we’re a 100% vote-by-mail state. Last presidential election, we had a bottle of champagne that we didn’t get to drink. This time, I’ve taken the precaution of laying in not only champagne, but, should we need it, champagne vinegar in case we experience bitterness. We are aware we may not know the outcomes for days, so I got big bottles of both.

I had an idea some time ago which l might actually put into play. I will put a big map of the USA on the wall with all the states outlined but not colored in. I will livestream myself silently coloring in the states as results are announced. But I will not use Red and Blue. I will pick two other colors at my whim - maybe green and gold, or periwinkle and burnt umber. Because I hate stupid conventions, and this “red state blue state” thing has gone on too long. You will thank me for doing this.

I don’t think things will be settled by election night or even by the end of the year. I fully expect Trump to refuse to concede.

When the polls close, the beers flows. I’m taking 11/4 off.

Since I’m in Hawai’i, a lot of the day’s news from the rest of America is already well underway by the time I’m out of bed in the morning. For better or worse, Election Day itself will be pretty much over by the time my evening rolls around. I’ll monitor the news and if it anything interesting is happening I’ll watch, drink in hand to console myself if need be.

However, I’m in agreement with @madmonk28 and I’m not expecting conclusive results for a long time. So I won’t be surprised if there is little to hold my attention on the the news, in which case it will be a night like any other, probably spent doing a few chores, talking to my boyfriend, and/or watching Netflix/Hulu.

I rather hope the news is boring, because “interesting” is most likely to be bad - rioters in the streets, Trump sending troops out, assorted dreadful scenarios of that type.

I’d love to be wrong, though, and wind up glued to my TV as ample results show a decisive Biden victory that even Trump won’t be able to bluster his way out of. Yeah, I know. Dream on.

Popcorn and Cuba Libres while switching from channel to channel to channel.

This, with some healthy balancing of Stella Artois.
Little bit o’ terp sauce here, diamonds there, live resin everywhere!

This will definitely be of concern - inbred terrorists in camo doing their thing.

Watching TV on Netflix and other streaming services. I’ll check in on the web a bit, but is there any chance we’ll know the result on November 3?

Seems that possibly a week or more is the general expectation for a result, barring Turdface’s attempt to call it, that night, a douche move which is, itself, up for debate.
ETA: Odd - coulda sworn I pressed ‘reply’ to Mahaloth’s post, but don’t see his avatar up in the right corner of my post.

Seems unlikely. There’s a few states that count absentee/early/mailed ballots as they come in, like Florida, but I think most don’t start counting them until election day. That’s gonna take some time; I imagine the final result won’t be known for at least a week.
Someone has posted a link showing which states do what, but I can’t recall what it is.

After what happened at the celebration party for Clinton four years ago, I intend to curl up in the fetal position under the bedcovers and suck my thumb until it’s over.

Oh, yeah, the question in the OP… :smiley:
Welp, election day night there will be Thursday afternoon here; I’ll be finishing up work about 8:30pm US Eastern time, 12:30pm mine.
I will probably have multiple websites up on multiple screens, obsessively refreshing over and over again. Yes, I know I said that final results are highly unlikely to be known that night; I’ll probably be doing it anyway.

I don’t own a TV anymore, so I was wondering which website(s) would be best to follow. I’m thinking Fox News right now. They actually have a very good rep about calling the race, plus schadenfreude for the reactions of their opinionists, assuming the race goes the way the polls say it will.

Four years ago, I was working at the Elections Office as a temp worker, so this wasn’t an issue then. They actually had the returns on the TV in the break room, despite the fact that we were working on ballots.

Well, I just realized right this minute that I put a session on medieval food on the syllabus in my Chaucer class, so … experimenting with making blancmange and pease porridge, I guess? Oh my. Thank goodness most medieval recipes seem to involve wine…