What Are Your Plans For Election Night?

Unfortunately, and I do mean unfortunately, I have to teach a class from 6:00 PM to 11:30 PM that night, and have to get up early the next morning for a 9:00 AM class. That sucks.

I will secretly be scouring the web during my evening class to see what is happening, and will come home and watch television until probably 1:00 AM. Intend to set my TV to wake me at about 7:00 AM to see what I hope is the final tally.

So, do you have plans for house parties, or are you going to stay home alone and watch quietly, going to a bar with friends? What are your plans?

Oh, and is anybody planning to take the next day off?

I’ll be sleeping, as the tally will be up way past my bedtime on a workday.

[hijack]
But why, oh why, do you vote on a weekday? Why not a Friday* or Saturday, which allows more people to stay up an follow it?
[/hijack]

Does anyone know what time the results are going to start to come through. I heard that they weren’t going to start releasing East Coast results until the West Coast is finished voting.

Although that makes sense, its a bummer for Brits watching the election coverage, because it means the first results won’t start coming out until the following morning - rendering election parties rather rubbish if it is true.

I’ll be working late, but I’ll have the radio on, and will listen to the news. I’ll get home around 9:30, and I’ll watch some coverage, but since I have to get up early, I may not find out who officially won till the next day.

Why would anyone plan to take the next day off?

When I was a kid I’d go to “Election Central,” at a hotel or the civic center, where they had a big tally board and many rooms with parties for the various candidates. Once, with a friend, we found an underground passage way that led to the concert hall. We ended up at the dressing rooms, and it turned out that there was an opera being performed, but not that particular night (La Boheme). One dressing room had a star on it, and the name “Mr. Pavarotti.”

We had only a vague idea of who he was, but we went in anyway. There was make up and a costume, and other things lying around. We wanted some souvenirs, so we took a pair of Pavarotti’s cuff links and and some photocopies of an Italian newspaper.

Today, I just turn on the radio go about my regular business. No reason to throw a party.

I’ll probably spend the evening watching MSNBC at home with my parents and my laptop.

Watching the returns with a crowd either at my brother’s house or an Obama party. I am without a doubt taking the next day off.

Why? To celebrate? Weep silently in a corner?

Push polling.

I’m thinking of having a few people over to watch the results; otherwise I’ll be here, since I’m sure there will be a results-watching-and-commenting thread or six.

Luckily, I’m unemployed, so I can sleep in in the morning.

We’ll probably go out to eat, just anything really to get away from the whole mess for awhile and then check back in much later when appreciable percentages are starting to come in. I really hate listening to “With 1% of the precincts reporting, it’s X with 50.01% of the vote.”

I’m going to leave work a little early, vote, then continue on my way home. Later, I’ll catch up with the results on the CBC website. (Yes, the Canadian election is tonight. Polling stations are open to serve you!)

Yup.

I’m taking the next day off as well. Partly to do one of the above, but mostly because no matter which I’m doing, I’m likely to be hung over, exhausted, and useless.

On the couch with a big bowl of popcorn, flipping between channels.

When it’s over, I’ll wake up my wife and tell her who won.

Blucanary the networks will call each state after their polls close and keep a running tally, but historically it’s unlikely either candidate will win enough votes to clinch the election until the West Coast states are counted.

Yeah; no kidding. As interested as I am in the outcome of this election, I really don’t want to hear that stuff. At least we won’t have Dan Rather saying “McCain’s support is flatter than a plate of piss at this point”, though I’m sure they’ll trot out Carville with worse.

It wouldn’t bother me one bit to not hear one peep until every single vote is counted (and recounted in Florida and Ohio).

Having said that, my wife and I will be celebrating the 19th anniversary of the day we met, and hopefully clinking glasses at an Obama electoral landslide.

I’ve invited all the folks who joined us for the NPR thing last week to come over and watch the results come in at my place, but I haven’t heard back from any of them.

Depends on the outcome, but right now, all signs are pointing to celebrate.

I went to bed too early in 2000. I thought it was settled by 2am or so. I don’t want to get fooled again.

My gf has been hosting dinner for each of the presidential and vice presidential debates (just the two of us). I am hoping she will do this election night as well, as I have no TV.

My school (I’m a public policy student) is having a party. Extreme politics geekery will ensue.

I’ll be sitting on the couch, biting my nails as I watch the early returns on CNN. Then I’ll probably fall asleep in front of the TV well before it’s been decided and find out who won in the morning.