How do you post pictures from sites?

Ok I’m in a thread about things from years ago that young people wouldn’t know how to use today and I found a stock photo of what I’m discussing in the thread but even tho people are posting pics of what they’re talking about I cant seem to figure out how to put a pic in …

Just post the URL on an empty line. For example, if I were to post the url https://i.redd.it/pzngl5djnqv21.gif on an empty line, you’d get this gif of WWE Superstar™ Sheamus performing an amusing dance;

It needs to be the url of a picture, not the url of a page that has a picture on it. Lots of sites make it hard to link directly to the pix they host; they want to show people the whole page, advertising and all. As well, the browsers on phones also make it hard; they’re trying to be helpful but aren’t.

But once you get over those hurdles, it’s easy and works great.

Sometimes the image I want to display from a page isn’t handy to get. In such cases I capture the image using a screen capture tool and post it to imgur. It can be a private post on imgur, or public. And then I grab the link to the picture (not to the album which is the first picture in that set of pictures; and keep in mind that a ‘set of pictures’ can have one single picture in that set).

For example here is an imgur post that has only one picture in the set. This example is a private post. Only those with the URL can see it (according to imgur).

Here is the link to the picture — shows the complete picture.

Here is the link to the album — often badly truncated like this example

Now, if you quote this post and show the post contents (the quote icon at upper left), you’ll see that the first link is to the jpg and the second link does not have the jpg file extension.

HTH.

In the What Car Did You See Today thread I often include images. Here is my latest post there, and that has several images. Some are from imgur and some are from wiki.

This is true but, if you hover over a picture, the picture itself is often a link. If you open that and right click it, you often have the ability to copy the “image location” link. THAT will be just for the picture itself.

If you are on a smart phone (Android, not sure about Apple), hold your finger on the image a couple-three seconds until a menu pops up. It will have a couple of options: “Download Image” and “Open Image in Backgound Tab”. Tap the latter and the image will be opened in a tab by itself, then simply copy the URL from that tab and paste into this dialog box. Like this:

If you are on a computer, right clicking the image will give you a few options, including “Copy image address”, which you then just paste in the dialog box.

There is an ATMB thread for testing different things. I just tested @snowthx’s image there by modifying the URL, and it worked.

What did you modify? I was just copying the URL and pasting it whole on a blank line in the dialog box.

Another option if the image is embedded in the page in such a way that it’s not directly linkable is to use your browser’s html editor. By opening that and using the selection tool to pick the image, you can usually copy the page element that gives a path to the url where the image is stored- some editing may be required.

ok thanks people ill remember all of this )probably not ) next time

Nevermind.

Extra words for Discourse