How do you remove paint from vinyl clothing?

My girlfriend has apparently spilled some paint on an article of vinyl clothing and she is looking for a safe way to remove it. Thank you for any help.

We’re going to need more information to help you out. What kind of paint and where is it on what kind of clothing. I assume it is dried by now?

It is long since dried. It was painted on a long time ago for a costume. I believe it is a corset, but I havn’t verified. It seems to peel off, but it takes a long time, because it is painted on in short strips to look like threading. I don’t know what type of paint it is unfortunately. That is all the information I have right now… When she is up and around, I’ll ask.

Zip

Repeated flexing and bending of the vinyl may cause the paint to crack, chip and flake off. A dilluted paint thinner on a rag may be able to take the paint off, but I don’t know what that would do to the vinyl. If the paint was acrylic then it’s water-based and repeated rubbing with a damp cloth should remove it.

It’s hard to say exactly what to do without knowing the paint type and the material it’s on.

spot test dilution of mineral spirits/paint thinner. Start w/ very weak solution.

There is also product(s) called “Goof Off” and “Goo-be-Gone” which shoud work on vinyl.
Search on them @ www/google.com

Paint sticks to vinyl pretty well. Vinyl looks like paint doesn’t stick well to it only when the vinyl flexes alot. The paint adheres well, but even the greates paint can’t flex with vinyl’s range of motion.

So, you might be thinking, “How hard is this, it’s cracking off anyway?”

Well, it might be stuck on stronger than you thought, but the vinyl’s flexibility is deceiving you into thinking paint doesn’t adhere to vinyl real well.

Oh, acetone (nail polish remover) can be spot tested as well.