‘Mg plus two’ is pretty common, or ‘magnesium plus two’. Actually, for metals that don’t change redox states often, it’s more common to just call them ions: ‘magnesium ions’.
I’d say “emm-gee two-plus”. In the case of atoms which don’t have more than one ionization state (like magensium), I’d probably just say “magnesium ions”. But iron, for example, can be “eff-ee three-plus” or “eff-ee two-plus”, depending.
[QUOTE=Dervorin]
I’d say “emm-gee two-plus”. In the case of atoms which don’t have more than one ionization state (like magensium), I’d probably just say “magnesium ions”. But iron, for example, can be “eff-ee three-plus” or “eff-ee two-plus”, depending.
[/QUOTE]
AKA “ferric ions” and “ferrous ions” respectively. Hence a rusty carnival ride is a ferrous wheel!
[QUOTE=Squink]
‘Mg plus two’ is pretty common, or ‘magnesium plus two’. Actually, for metals that don’t change redox states often, it’s more common to just call them ions: ‘magnesium ions’.
[/QUOTE]
This is what I’d say, also.
JOKE ANSWER: Aluminum
Magnesium is element 12. Increment (Mg++) that, and element 13 is Aluminum. Yes, I am a total nerd.