How do you type this smiley?

( copied from this thread )
Okay, so smiley art isn’t quite the Big Thing that is was back in 1996 or so…but I’m still curious. How did you draw this one?

Me, I still haven’t learned anything more complex than the old colon-plus-parenthesis .
:slight_smile:

Considering it incorporates Kannada, Georgian and Chinese/Japanese script, I’m pretty sure you type it Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

It’s a font called Sylfaen

ლ is las, the twelfth letter of the Georgian Alphabet
“ಠ” is from the Kannada alphabet, while 益 is Kanji. “ಠ” is often used as eyes, such as in the “look of disapproval”, ಠ_ಠ
( and ) are parantheses.

All of these characters are letters from different alphabets, and won’t be found on a single keyboard. So they’re copied and pasted, first from something like a character map character by character, after that, you can copy/paste the whole thing. By using characters from different alphabets, you can create emoticons like these, or (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (flipping the table).

That’s not really accurate. A font is a specific graphical representation of some set of characters. The characters posted in the OP (and YogSosoth’s original post) are pure text, without any font specifications. It’s up to your browser to figure out which of the fonts you have available to use for the characters. It might pick Sylfaen if you have it installed, but it won’t necessarily. If I paste the smiley into OpenOffice, it picks a combination of Times New Roman (for the fists/Georgian alphabet), Mangal (for the eyes/Kannada) and Simsun (for the mouth/Chinese character).

They aren’t so much smileys as they are special characters. You can use Unicode to enter them. The downside is that they aren’t guaranteed to be seen by everyone as not every browser will have the same degree of unicode support. :frowning:

Indeed. I can see the Chinese “nose” and the Georgian “fists” (that don’t really look like fists), but the Kannada characters just show up as placeholder characters for me.

These are emoticons for which “emotion” or thought? They’re lost on me.

Rage. Table-flipping rage.

Wow. I just looked at that URL (which comes from the highly-esteemed and inimitable “Know Your Meme” site)… and the URL includes the actual escaped unicode for the emoticon.

Yes. The URL contains the emoticon. How meta is that?