How effective is sam-E?

If someone who is familiar with it could answer these questions:

Has anyone used it to treat their depression? Have you experienced any side effects? Is there any scientific proof that it actually works?

it worked ok for me, i quit using it when i started exercising regularly and it gave me the same benefits.

i did about 800mg a day and didnt notice any side effects.

http://www.arthritissupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/510/

The AHRQ meta-analysis included 99 articles representing 102 individual studies, which were broken down into 47 depression studies, 14 osteoarthritis studies and 41 liver disease studies.

A panel of technical experts was established to advise the researchers throughout their study of SAM-e. In terms of depression, the researchers concluded SAM-e was statistically superior to placebo, and it performed similarly to conventional antidepressant treatment.

sleeping, your sig is way too long. We ask that sigs be kept to a MAXIMUM of four lines, including blank lines and solid lines.

Please shorten it.

Lynn
For the Straight Dope

Thanks, Wesley Clark, that helps. I guess my main question is whether it is as effective for treating moderate depression as the common antidepressants. It seems like most doctors say it’s promising but can’t yet gurantee its effectiveness. That study is referenced in almost every single article so it seems like the only one that’s been done. Still, looking at the data and the number of people who have taken it–all without side effects–I’d consider taking it myself.

The study itself can be found here.

Thanks, Wesley Clark, that helps. I guess my main question is whether it is as effective for treating moderate depression as the common antidepressants. It seems like most doctors say it’s promising but can’t yet gurantee its effectiveness. That study is referenced in almost every single article so it seems like the only one that’s been done. Still, looking at the data and the number of people who have taken it–all without side effects–I’d consider taking it myself.

The study itself can be found here.
lynn: I was going to get around to changing it. Sorry it took so long to do it.

sleeping, that is exactly why I started taking it early this year. It has had a slowly profound effect on my life. I simply could not go with a more rigorous anti-depressant. The side effects seemed too much. The SAMe ( or samE, all depending … ) is quite good, and I am unaware of ANY side-effects at all.

It’s also good for liver function, and is a homeopathic anti-inflammatory. I heartily recommend it.

Keep it in a cool place, and don’t buy bottles that are plastic. Apparently it loses its strength when exposed to air. I buy it in blister-packs, it does just fine. A dollar a day is a SMALL price to pay for how I feel now- not euphoric, not out of control or high in any way, just…the way I felt for the first 38 years of my life. Very nice. :slight_smile:

Cartooniverse