How far from your home town did you settle down?

How far from your home town did you end up settling down, and why?
I got the idea from this thread, which is about more or less the opposite situation.
In my case I ended up in Newcastle, UK, from Rome, because of a chain of bigger and smaller coincidences, some weird, some unhappy, but all more or less unlikely.
So, what’s your tale?

I was raised in Portage, MI, and now live in Paw Paw, MI. Portage is a suburb or Kalamazoo. Paw Paw is about 20 minutes west of Portage and Kalamazoo down I-94. When I got married, I moved from Portage to Grand Rapids where my wife was working. I had no job at the time and was finishing school. Since then we have moved twice, finally moving to Paw Paw to be closer to family, both hers and mine. In addition to family, my job determined where we would live as Paw Paw is large enough to have everything we would need without having to travel so far, but it is still only 10 minutes from where I work, so here we are. :slight_smile:

The house I grew up in is about 3 miles from where I live now. The house I lived in during high school is less than 2 miles. All the apartments I’ve lived in for the last six years are less than half a mile from where I’m currently living. With the exception of about two years spent in New England, I haven’t really “branched out”. My brother and my parents have all quit the state. I have an aunt in the same town and grandparents about an hour away, but for the most part, I’m all by my lonesome now.

Then again, I don’t know if my life could be considered “settling down”. :slight_smile:

I was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Now I live in Tallahassee, Florida. That’s about 1200 miles. My wife-to-be lived here, and I emigrated to marry her and start up all over again in a new place.

I was born in Texas, but lived the majority of my childhood in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where my dad’s family was located. When I was 13, my parents divorced and we moved to Baltimore (where my mom’s family was). Three years later, I went back to Tulsa to see my dad for the summer and never went back. I absolutely hated living in Baltimore. I spent the next seventeen years or so living in Tulsa where I first lived about 2 miles from my “childhood” home, then moved into a house owned by my great grandmother until her grown children sold it to stick her in a nursing home. (Yep, she died shortly thereafter, when they sold the house her husband had built with his own hands shortly before WWII.) Six years ago, I moved to Pennsylvania. Mom had married a guy who lived in Pennsylvania many years before, so that’s where she is now. I live about an hour’s drive from her, but it’s no where near where I grew up.

Heh. I live on the same spot as the house I came home from the hospital to used to sit on. Our current master bedroom occupies the same spot as the bedroom I was probably conceived in.

So, not far.

According to MapQuest, I’m 3.81 miles away from where I grew up.

I live about 300 miles from where I grew up in Rome, NY.

I went to Penn State and it was easier to get a job in Philly or Pittsburgh than anywhere else. I want to move back to Penn State though given the chance.

Interesting site, this MapQuest. I gave it a go, and i found out my distance from home is 1426.93 miles. Not bad!
slu , so there’s a Rome in the USA as well? Interesting. I knew there is a Washington in England, but not that.

I grew up in Paradise, about 40 miles away from Hell, where I live now. :smiley:

I’m only half kidding. I never grew up.

410 beautiful miles.

Well, according to Mapquest, I’m 1,521 miles from my hometown of St. Louis.

How’d I end up here? Mrs. Chastain took a job transfer. Having had a pretty dead-end career going in Chicago, I decided it was worth the adventure to see and do things that didn’t seem familiar.

Worked out in the long run, too. I ended up taking a decent job that parlayed into a better job, which parlayed into a pretty darn sweet career writing training courses. I’m not rolling in the dough, but I’m comfortable, and I don’t miss the snow.

Just wish I could catch more Cardinal baseball games. :slight_smile:

I’m sure this is temporary, but it looks like I’ve got the longest distance so far. It’s 2152.38 miles from my parents’ house in Petaluma, California to my apartment in Chicago, Illinois.

I would not say I’ve “settled down” yet though. I adore Chicago but I imagine I’ll move around some more before I really settle down.

I couldn’t figure out how to find it on mapquest, but another online atlas said I was 11,000 from home. I grew up in Launceston, Tasmania, went to school in Perth, Western Australia, lived for a year and a half or so in Sydney, and then moved to Oregon to be with my (American) husband. We moved to Boston a year later and since we’re still here I suppose this is where I’m settled.

2053.6 miles according to mapquest.

I moved across the country at the tender age of 16 to visit some relatives and I stayed. The relatives have long since moved on. Considering that I now own a house here, i guess that means I’ve settled. I’d love to move back to the western US sometime. Somewhere closer to my family but not so close that they can’t stop by without notifying me first :wink:

I live about 2,500 miles, or on the opposite end of the continet, from where I was born and raised.

I gre up within an hour or two of Rome, Georgia and Athens, Tennessee. My dad has friends in Paris, Texas.

According to my GPS, about 1100 miles (grew up in western MA, now live in west central Florida).

I am, unfortunately, living in my home town, about 15 miles from the hospital where I was born, and about 8 miles from the house I came home to after I was born.I wouldn’t call myself “settled down” though.

I’m sort of with you, my dear. From Phillore, India, to Albany, NY. So what’s that, 6000 miles?

But if you were to ask me in person what my hometown was, without any thought I would say Warren, MI. So that i think is more along the lines of 500.

Yeah, there is a Rome in NY (it is near Utica about 45 miles East of Syracuse) and it was a popular destination for Italian Immigrants in the 19th and 20th Centuries. There is also a Rome in Georgia, but I am not aware of any others.