How fast do you regain weight after dieting

If you quit a diet and go back to your normal life how fast do you think you regain the weight you lost? I guess this is an individual thing because i have seen some people only gain 0.5 lbs a week and some gain 2 lbs a week.

I’m not a doctor or a nutritionist or anything - just what I’ve picked up along the way.

If you were “crash dieting” or trying to lose more than 1 lb a week, your body seems to believe that you are in a time of need. It tries to turn any calories received into fat, since it thinks you might need it. People who go off of harsh diets tend to regain weight faster. Keeping the weight loss at 1 lb a week usually doesn’t put the body into a “panic” like this.

If you were working out as part of the diet, you’ve probably built up some muscle mass. If you stop dieting and stop exercising at the same time, you’ll lose muscle mass as you gain fat. Per cubic inch, muscle weighs way more than fat, so you’ll appear to stay at an even level for a few weeks, if you only look at the scale.

I don’t have any concrete numbers for you, though. Sorry. And yeah, it’s going to depend a lot on the person’s life-style, eating habits, and metabolism.

If I quit working out and eat what I want, when I want (carbs, lots of 'em), I can pack on 3 pounds a week if I’m totally pigging out.

That’s why diets don’t work. Any change you make has to be for life.grumble