How have homeschooled childeren faired as adults?

How have homeschooled childeren faired as adults as far as employment. What types of jobs do they get? To they have difficulty socializing with other people? Most of the homeschooled childeren I have known were homeschooled for religious reasons, but there must be other reasons. Ironically, my wife and I may have a family in a relatively religious area of the country, and we wonder if our childeren might be better off homeschooled for the opposite reason.

Julie Webb, “The Outcomes of Home-based Education: Employment and Other Issues,” Educational Review, Volume 41, Issue 2 (1989), pages 121-133.
Abstract:

Also see:
• Richard G. Medlin, “Home Schooling and the Question of Socialization,” Peabody Journal of Education, Vol. 75, No. 1&2 (2000), pages 107-123.

A study recently came out about this, I’ll go dig it up. IIRC homeschooled-as-children adults had higher rates of participation in public life and employment. I shall return!

Have someone else teach them spelling.

All right, I found the results of the study I was thinking of. However, it turns out that it was done by the National Home Education Research Institute, so it’s not exactly a totally objective body. But as far as I know it was a perfectly good study. This article summarizes the results (I know it’s WND, but the numbers are stated accurately and I couldn’t find the one I read before). You can order the whole thing for a couple of bucks from NHERI.

Anyway, Christopher, there are bunches of people who homeschool for non-religious reasons. I’m one of them. As far as I’ve been able to figure out, most kids do just fine. Mine seem to be normal so far and have zillions of friends, public-schooled or not. You can nearly always find people to hang out with, since it’s so much more common now. It is not necessary to go to public school in order to have friends, nor does homeschooling involve staying home all the time and never going outside. In fact, many homeschoolers feel that they get to live “in the real world” more than other kids. (There is also so much curriculum to choose from and stuff to learn that your head will spin at what is available.)

If you have questions about homeschooling, there are a few others here on the boards; also feel free to PM or email me if you’d like.

making chores a learning experience

Reality bites sometimes. Other times it cuts like a friggn Ginsu.

I’m just going to teach them that English is evil, and not to bother learning it. Of course I’ll have to tell them in grunts.

This guy was home-schooled via Clonlara Homeschool in Michigan and is certainly paying his bills. His folks schooled him at home through high school for more than religious reasons; if I recall, his older (by a year) brother was having some kind of trouble at school and they hoped to avoid it by not putting the younger boy in the same school at all.
He’s married as well, so I guess his socialization turned out satisfactory! The years I knew him, the only hint that he was homeschooled was having a thin skin when it came to **any ** sort of verbal teasing. He would react more quickly and strongly than most kids I’d been through public school with.

My favourite answer to the question, “How will you socialize them?” is, “Once a week I’ll beat them up for their lunch money and lock them in a closet. Just like public school”. :smiley:

I only have anecdotes, but a bunch of my friends were homeschooled, and they’re all more successful in higher education than I was. Most of them are doing their doctorates. They’re all Christian, but I don’t think any of them were homeschooled for that reason- their parents just didn’t have a very high opinion of the academics at local schools.

For me personally, I was homeschooled from 1st grade on. I am now 32 and my projected income over the next year is 60-90k. I didn’t go to college.

My brother was homeschooled k-12. He got his undergrad magna cum laude and is currently getting a masters and looking at a second one. He is 26.

My sister is starting her undergrad this fall and the ‘baby’ is only 14.

Anecdote and all that, but there ya go.

I guess I should put in that I met a woman a couple of days ago who said that her baby sister was homeschooled all the way and is starting at Berkeley this year (this week, that is). (She’s a junior and did two years of CC first; if you’re not in CA, the rule is that at selected CC’s if you maintain a certain GPA you’re guaranteed admission at Cal as a junior. Also, unless it’s changed in the last year or so, UC schools are not yet admitting homeschooled students. Stanford does, and UC probably will in a few years; it’s becoming unrealistic to bar homeschoolers.)

I work with a guy who was homeschooled up until college.

He’s married, is successful at work, has a kid, etc…

The only thing that’s kind of out of the ordinary is that his knowledge of 80’s, 90’s and 2000s pop culture is remarkably lacking. I can’t figure out whether it’s the homeschooling or the very strongly Evangelical family upbringing.

Otherwise, he’s a normal guy for all intents and purposes beyond the strong religious tilt to a lot of his life. (oddly enough, he’s a non-proselytizing evangelical who believes in evolution)

I’m going with the evangelical background.

I was homeschooled from the 5th grade, and my pop-culture knowledge (as well as that of my homeschooled friends) is well above average. This is due to having more time to read about stuff that interested me, because my school days were far shorter than that of the public schooled.

28, SO, plenty of friends, no college, making over 45k.

I teach drivers ed, one place the homeschooled dont have a choice about going if they want a license before 18, I have to say that as teens they are definitly not normal on a social level. at least a lot of them arent. I think its just the way they are taught, I had one kid who didnt know what year he was born, was useless with paperwork and I thought was a total moron at first…then I found out he was home schooled and a little light went off.

most of them are good kids just a bit off from the norm.

I would agree with this. I have a decent knowledge of pop-culture, but far from thorough. That is probably more influenced by my parents flucuating back and forth from ‘no hollywood movies, no tv in the house’ to having a tv and such than from being homeschooled. I spent many long hours in our library and read everything I could get my hands on.

I know a number of families that were even stricter than mine and their kids have large gaps in not only their pop-culture knowledge but a very difficult time interacting with people that were not raised the same way they were.

I hear that homeschooled children have lovely fairs, especially in the country. I fared well at the last fair I went to.

I know a homeschooled 14-year-old who is currently attending UC Berkeley, so it must not be a blanket policy.

Not to mention irrational.

Seriously - what would be wrong with applying to homeschoolers the same admission standards used for others?

Anecdotally, I did homeschool for middle school, Calvert School to be exact. The main reason was my parents’ low opinion of the local middle school. I went to a private school for high school, and found that the home school program prepared me extremely well for that.

I consider myself socially stunted, but I think that’s more myself rather than the homeschooling. I finished both my BA and MS in Comp Sci and Comp Engr. and now have an extremely well-paying job.