How I cured my diabetes

I am 64. Four months ago I was, and had been for many years, obese, dependent on alcohol, suffering from depression, sedentary and had diabetes type 2. Due to those factors, making any changes was, I thought, nigh on impossible.
I thought I was trapped in to diabetes. I have already done irreparable damage to the soles of my feet, and further damage to my body seemed inevitable. But, as I have discovered, it is possible to escape from diabetes. If I had known what I know now, I might followed the course I am on sooner. I would love to give other diabetes sufferers some hope by publicising what has happened to me.

One evening, four months ago, for some reason, I thought ‘I can’t go on like this. I need to do something about my problems’. So the next day, I decided to give up alcohol, control my eating, and start exercising. I didn’t stop to think about these decisions because I knew that if I did, I wouldn’t be able to follow them through.

Four months on, I haven’t had any alcohol. I thought that this would be very difficult, but actually, for me, it hasn’t been. I don’t miss it at all. I now limit my eating to three meals a day - and no snacking - and to a maximum of 1400 calories a day. Again, this hasn’t been as difficult as I imagined. The day after my decision, I signed up to a local gym. It was the first time I had ever been into a gym, and it seemed very daunting, but the staff have been very helpful and encouraging. I started off doing the most that I could, and have progressed to exercising very strongly.

In that period, I have lost nearly four stone (56lbs) and I am no longer obese; I feel, and am, fit and healthy. I am on track to lose another two stone (28lbs), which I will do in about two months. I no longer have depression; I feel enervated and positive.

After Christmas, I went for my quarterly diabetic check up. Much to my amazement, all my my measurements, including cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure, are now completely normal. I no longer have diabetes. I didn’t know that this was possible, and I wish that I had known. My life has been turned around, in a very positive way.

I really thought I was the last person who could do what I have done. I hope that my story can encourage other diabetes sufferers to improve their lot.

You didn’t cure your diabetes; you simply brought it under control. That said, keep up the good work!

:cool:

OK, I know. And if I return to my old lifestyle, it will come back. But I feel like I have been given a lifeline.

Congratulations!!! I copied your post and hung it on my wall! I am 67 and borderline diabeteic. I need to loose about 30# and start excersizing.

Well done, you!

Congrats. Natural control like that is very rewarding. If anyone ever lacked proof that what we eat and how we behave affects our health.

You probably feel many years younger. Remember that feeling of getting years back. It’ll be one memory that helps you keep this up when someday it seems easier to just relapse into old habits.

True, the diabetes wasn’t ‘cured’. To paraphrase my DIL (who had gestational diabetes), you made it your bitch.

Well done although, “I feel enervated and positive” is wrong.

Enervated means weakened, sapped of strength. I suppose you mean energized.

Nice work. The real hard part is keeping up the lifestyle changes though. You need to plan and make sure you can sustain the changes.

Wow! I’m hella impressed!

Good for you.

Well done indeed! I hope you share your story again and again, so many others hear it! (You told it very well, the sincerity really shines through!)

And whatever comes in your life, in the future, you will always be able to look back at this and know, you MADE this happen! By the power of your will and the strength of your spirit. That’s a very, very valuable asset to carry forward in life, whatever challenges may come.

Again, well done, you’ve accomplished something really awesome.

Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations! Nice work. Keep it up!

Congratulations! I think it’s interesting how you say you didn’t let yourself question whether you could actually achieve your goal you just kind of went full force into it. I feel a lot of people don’t accomplish personal goals for this very reason, they are stuck rationalizing failure and second guessing themselves instead of just giving it a shot and really committing to their goal. Congrats again!

Congratulations to you and very well done! I know of some people who have accomplished something similar.

As I understand it, when people are obese and suffer from Diabetes, losing their excess weight (or bringing it under control) will often reduce the symptoms to the point where they are essentially zero and that is a real blessing because if one does not eliminate the symptoms of Diabetes, the effect can make for a real misery of a life. Horrible, horrible, things happen to the victims of Diabetes. Among other things they **may **have to have limbs amputated or they suffer from blindness or kidney failure or any one of a number of horrible consequences.

The important thing, of course, is to keep the weight off permanently. As I understand it, when one feels that it was not difficult to lose the weight, that is a very good sign that one will be able to keep the weight down without much effort.

My doctor told me words similar to the following:

“When you are obese and suffer from the symptoms of Diabetes, every pound you lose will have a strong impact (for the better) on many of your most important body organs and functions - such as: heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, digestive system, etc. Therefore, it is just a real good deal to lose weight because every pound you lose, pays of like … tenfold. It is an amazing payoff and you just must not ignore just how much your body responds to that kind of weight loss.”

That is just such an amazing bargain, how can anyone ignore the payoffs from losing a single pound? It is almost just too good to be true."

In the past, other doctors have spoken to be about losing weight. But they never “reached me” the way this doctor did. I truly believe he is the very best doctor I have ever had.

Every time I have an appointment to see him, I just thank my lucky stars that he became my doctor. I was very lucky indeed to have crossed paths with this man. He never raised his voice to me or displayed any kind of anger or forcefulness when talking to me about losing weight and his approach worked where all the other doctors that I have ever seen took a “hardass” approach that never worked.

Hey! Whatever works for you!

This here.^

Way to go!
mmm

Oops! You are right. Reminder to me: engage brain before posting.

As most of you have said, the next trick is to keep this going. I can only take each day as it comes, but I certainly have no intention of returning to the old unwell me. When I reach my goal weight, I will have to work out how much exercising and food control will allow me to maintain it.

Yesterday I rather overdid my gym session, and today, while my muscles are screaming at me, my heart and soul are feeling *so *good.

Congratulations!

If you do slip and gain a couple of pounds, don’t fret and think you’ve screwed it all up. You haven’t. Just get back on track and get things back under control.

After a couple years of this you’ll find that big meals feel & look gross, not desirable. So avoiding gross overeating becomes easy.

You’ll probably always have some desire for more carbs than is good for you. The trick is to learn which ones you enjoy the carbi-ness of and the flavor of most which also give you the least BG problems. It might be whole grain, brown rice, or sweet potatoes. It’s almost certainly not gonna be white bread or sugar-laden desserts & drinks. Whatever it is you can work some of that into your diet in controlled portions.

I quoted this post so that you could read it again.

I did that because it is real good advice and worth a second reading.