How much of a difference in ages in an older woman/younger man relationship is too much?

I’ve heard older men should not have a relationship with any woman younger than 1/2 their age plus 7; i.e. 30 year old man/22 year old woman but nobody younger.

Well, the tables have been turned and now older woman/younger man is becoming more and more common. So what’s the limit on that?

The “1/2 the older partner’s age plus seven” is a very good rule if either participant is under 25. Beyond that, you have two consenting adults, and they should be allowed to do as they please.

Why would there be a limit at all on two legally consenting adults?

The “half plus seven” rule is a decent guide. I think if you stray much further than that, it’s harder to have a relationship beyond just sex, because you won’t have all that much in common (usually). But technically as long as everyone is of age, consenting, and there’s no other power differential (teacher/student, guard/prisoner) go ahead and get yo freak on.

If they’re both adults, it doesn’t matter.

The “half plus seven” guideline is gender-symmetric. It is only a guideline, not a hard and fast rule, but if you’re outside of (or even inside but close to) that line, you should probably have a good think about it.

I think it depends on the age of the younger partner. I’m mumblemumble36, and my partner is 19 1/2 years older than me. We’ve been together for a couple of years and will be getting married in 10 days.

I’ve been around the block a few times, I know the difference between lust and love. I know what I want out of a relationship and I know that I can leave if I’m not getting what I want out of it. I didn’t know that when I was 20.

Not to mention that both of us are old enough to pick our battles and maybe just too tired of drama to not fuss if one of us picks the wrong birthday card or doesn’t cook the perfect meal. I appreciate the thought and Bill eats what I serve him and helps clean up.

Both of those points would have caused major drama 10 years ago, now I just remember that he doesn’t really like his steak well done for the next time I attempt to conquer the kitchen.

That’s 1/2 his age + 8, we’ll grandfather him in.

(HA! See what I did there? 56 year old man, we’ll grandfather him in? I kill me!)