How much of the green part from green onions/spring onions/scallions do you use?

I’m not asking about the whitish-green part in between the green and the white. I’m just asking about the deep green part. Do you use any of it? Use the lower portion and throw the rest away? Use all of it?

Edit: I meant this to be a poll, but forgot the poll part. It was going to look like this:

• 0%
  • 25%
  • 50%
  • 75%
  • 100%

I’m at about 50%.

Usually everything but the very end.

about 75%

Until it’s too dry and/or shriveled. This varies greatly with each onion. Anywhere from 30 to 100 %.

Unless the recipe calls for only green or only white, I use as much as possible=)

I tend to think the ends are not very flavorful. Maybe I don’t need to trim quite so much.

The very tips (about a quarter inch from the end) are usually a bit wilty, but I use everything else. Call it 100%, given those answer choices.

About 25%. I’m very wasteful.

Everything not wilty or slimy.

The whole thing - unless, as someone else stated, it’s wilted or slimy.

As much of it as possible. I always cut off and throw away the roots, so that’s some waste. :wink: Also, I define the “white” as the greenish parts that are still firm enough to slice. The very green soft tops I chop and add at the last minute.

I cut off the roots and the very tips of the greens if they’re wilty. I mostly use the greens for pa jeon/Korean pancakes.

Everything except the roots or if the green end is dry.

Hmm, maybe the roots are good, too.

Never tried that.

The best flavor comes from the white end. The green part has some flavor of its own, but has more utility in its appearance than from flavor.

I use about half to two-thirds of it…

I’m a little surprised at how many don’t use the whole thing. It honestly never occurred to me to NOT use the whole vegetable.

Probably 90% after cutting off the little roots and wilty bits.

I discard the tips if they’re dry or wilted, but I use all the rest. It makes the dish look better too with all the dark green bits.

This.

I use all the green ends (unless the very tips are icky) and keep the root up to about 1/2 inch of green and put the roots into a cup of water on the windowsill to get more green ends. You can do this almost forever. Eventually, you will have a huge mass of roots, but you can trim them up.

Of course, sometimes I want the whole green onion, in which case I use about 95%.