How Not To Turn Into a Parking Lot

I once turned into a bar. Ow.

Can we expand this gripe to include asshats who don’t know how to use the center lane of a 3 lane highway? Get your car all the way into the center lane before thinking about touching the brake pedal. Do not decelerate in the travel lane and make a kinda-turn so you’re now partially blocking two-thirds of the goddam road. People who do this make me wish for a rocket propelled grenade launcher on the roof.

Just as well they’ve nixed those “women only” parking lots.

4th picture down. :slight_smile:

HAR HAR HAR!
D’ya get it?
'Cause, y’know, women are such bad drivers, they’d probably pile all their cars in a big heap if they ever tried to park! HAR HAR HAR!

Heeheehee! It’s so funny it almost made me forget that, statistically, women are less likely to get involved in traffic accidents!

I admit this even though I’m male.

That’s true.

As a corollary:

When i want to parallel park, i always give plenty of notice by putting my indicator on in plenty of time, and by braking steadily rather than stopping all of a sudden. When i do this, have the fucking intelligence to realize that i want to reverse into the parking space, and don’t pull up to within two feet of my rear bumper and prevent me from entering the parking space. Because if you do this, i will just sit there until that dim fucking bulb goes on in your pea-sized brain and you realize that you have to either back up or go around me.

I just did this tonight, actually. :smack:

In my defense, it was night, it was in an unfamiliar town, and the sign was not prominent, lit, or angled correctly (it was facing the road, so as you drive down the road all you saw was the edge, and I didn’t even see that, it being night, unfamiliar, not promient and unlit). Also, it was placed about five or eight feet back alongside the drive I was not supposed to enter.

As I pulled up, a truck pulled up to exit from the drive (that I wanted to enter). He took up the entire road (when there was space for two lanes…) and I thought “lousy inconsiderate driver!” I stopped and waited for him to pull out, and when he did, I turned in, only to see a small “EXIT ONLY” sign facing me. :smack:

I immediately apologized in my head to the other guy, and felt stupid for about five minutes.

That’s not so bad. Now if it were high noon, and there were only outbound arrows on the ground, and there were several signs reading EXIT ONLY strategically placed on the periphery of the exit, and the exit itself was only about 1.5 lanes wide, and the geometry of the exit would require a person turning in to make a very, very sharp turn, then - I’m sorry - you’d have to eat your keys and never drive again. For the benefit of mankind.

Ironically, this should be a strawman - but the case indeed exists! Despite all of this, some will still honk or throw up their hands or worse when you’re trying to exit and they decide to pull in.

It’s a bit scary when the strawman actually exists, isn’t it?

Last night I was driving home from work. I’m the third car back in a left-turn lane at an intersection. The green arrow only lights for about 10 seconds at this intersection, so when it comes on, you have to go. The arrow turns green, and the car at the head of the line waits…and waits…for about 8 seconds. Horns start to honk. Then it slowly…slowly…pulls diagonally across the intersection into the driveway of a gas station on the opposite corner. Then stops. I turn just as the arrow is turning yellow and drive past Shithead, who is blocking the entrance to the gas station, holding up the entire right-hand lane of traffic, and she’s leaning back talking to someone in the back seat. Not yelling at a kid, mind you, but just talking to someone. How does a person like that get herself out of bed in the morning without falling on her face?