How old to drive in Kansas?

We visited my in-laws in Kansas over the holiday weekend. They insisted that in Kansas a 13 year old can drive a car, no permit needed, on public roadways as long as there is an adult in the car with a valid license.

Of course this isn’t true.:rolleyes:

Please give me as many cites as possible so I can ram in down their freaking throats.
I don’t like people getting pissed at me because I won’t let their child drive my car!

http://www.ksrevenue.org/dmvteen.htm

Their logic alone makes no sense, since it seems to imply that anyone (older than 13 or whatever number they gave) can drive a car as long as there’s another licensed adult in the car with them.

Also, just to add to that, Kansas is going to a graduated program starting January 1, 2010. Basically the gist of it is unless you’re grandfathered in (by having some sort of permit/license before the cutoff), you will have more restrictions placed on you, and will not be eligible for a full driver’s license until you turn 17 (whereas I got mine at 16).

It may be an attitude in Kansas that teaching kids to drive really young is a good idea especially if they live on a farm or other rural area. My parents started teaching me to drive on public roads when I was 13 in Louisiana and some kids my age, including my best friend, drove by themselves and he even owned his own pickup truck. I got my full driver’s license on my 15th birthday in 1989 but Louisiana since raised the limit. It isn’t legal for kids to drive on any public roads at the age of 13 anywhere in the U.S. as far as I know. Fourteen is the lowest limit for all states and even that is rare. Kansas has that but not the same as you in-laws claim. It does require a permit.

Contrapuntal’s link is the final answer. It is it an official Kansas government site and spells the rules out clearly for different classes of driving.

From elsewhere on that site: http://search.ksrevenue.org/texis/search/context.html?query=farm+permit+driving&pr=KSRevenue&prox=page&rorder=500&rprox=500&rdfreq=500&rwfreq=500&rlead=500&sufs=0&order=r&cq=&cmd=context&id=49ebae3612#hit13

Many states with large farm populations have the ability for kids to get “farm permits” at ridiculously low ages (apparently 14 in Kansas). They’re supposed to be primarily for driving around the farm, but they also allow you to drive on public highways. But since it doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere else on the site, maybe they either don’t want to publicize it so kids can avoid the graduated licensing scheme, or maybe they just did away with it and haven’t changed the site yet. And, heck, if you could get a full fledged farm permit at 14, maybe they did used to let kids practice their driving at 13.

One of the best things that my folks did for me was to teach me how to drive around 11 years old.

Now we did live in the country, but by 12 or 13 I also drove pickup trucks as part of my job working for our family owned mobile home park. It was part of the job.

Mini bikes, motorcycles, tractors, cars and trucks where all part of growing up. Way before I got my license.

When I did get my license, I was already way, way familiar with operating a vehicle. That was already second nature. All I had to do was get used to traffic.