How scary is Indy?

Has anyone been to an advance screening of Indiana Jones? My daughter is desperate to invite her class for her 10th birthday. I have to send out the invitations before the movie comes out and I’m not sure it’s going to be appropriate for some of them.

I took my kids to see Iron Man last night, which is rated the same (12A) and it was just a bit too much for them. Harry Potter is also rated 12A but nowhere near as scary as Iron Man was. This rating seems to have a pretty wide range…you never have to worry about sex scenes in 12A but you never know how much violence to expect.

Thoughts?

I’m seeing it on Tuesday. (My company is a sponsor so we get a special screening.) I’ll try to remember to come back and comment in this thread, if somebody else hasn’t beaten me to it.

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard Lucas downplaying the expectations of the hardcore fans, saying he basically made it for his kids.

It’s rated PG-13 “for adventure violence and scary images”. It just opened at the Cannes Film Festival today.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is rated PG, if you decided against Indiana Jones.

And it’s my experience that when a movie is marketed to kids, a PG-13 means it’s PG-13. In the Golden Compass, for example, a Polar bear gets its jaw ripped off in a fight. Now THAT’S a PG-13.

lissener Does it show that happening?

Lucas…really needs to stop doing this.

Well, it’s 200 laps around a 2.5-mile superspeedway with 33 cars running at speeds approaching 230 mph. If I were driving it, I’d be pretty scared.

Oops, sorry. Wrong Indy.

Well, you can see his jaw fly off, then the other polar bear rips his throat out.

So…yes.

Several early commentators (not speaking to its kid-friendliness, however, but just from a general moviegoer perspective) have complained to the effect that it’s not a great action/suspense movie because “there’s never really a moment when you feel he’s in true jeopardy or that you can’t readily see how he’ll get out of the ‘dangerous’ situation,” FWIW.

So much for spoilers . . .

Are these commentators actually suggesting there’s a chance Indiana Jones could be killed off?

Are they stupid or have they never seen an Indy movie before?

Yeah, I was going to say…don’t you pretty much always assume in every situation that he’s going to get out okay? unless you’re a very small child or something.

That would have been my choice but it doesn’t open until June 26th here in the UK.

All of a sudden I wonder whether George Lucas’s kids get beaten up a lot by the children of angry Star Wars fans.

The BBFC go into a fair amount of detail here about the film’s violence, scariness etc.

I’ll be leaving for the screening in a little over an hour, and will come back and post later this evening.

For now, though, here’s a relevant comment from one of the advance reviews:

From here; FYI, minor spoilers in the rest of the review (and beware the user comments following).

I’m taking two 8 year olds and one 6 year old. They saw Iron Man last weekend, and the 6 year old told us afterwards that he didn’t think it deserved a PG-13 rating… he thought it was just PG. :eek:

:smiley:

I’ve seen it and largely agree. There’s no death in this film as “graphic” as what was seen in Raiders or Temple. I would say the level of violence and action is on par with this film.

[grouchy digression]
Not to specifically pick on you, ArchiveGuy, but you’re the straw that broke the camel’s back.

WHY do so many Dopers do this? Can’t you just type “The Mummy” as the link text instead of being coy and euphemistic and saying “this film”? Then I wouldn’t have had to follow your link to see your point.

I get tired of reading threads full of replies that say “Another source disagrees” or “My cite has different information” or “what about this?” or sometimes even just “no.” Please, oh please, provide some hint of information about what your link is.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.
[/grouchy digression]