How shall I furnish my Lair?

should have known you have Archie McPhee (do you also know about American Science & Surplus, I always check there first, 'cause sometimes they have some of the same stuff for less, but I digress).

Anyhow, check out the sumo fan then, we have one, it looks dandy on the computer and is a nice little edition to keep your brow cool & dry whilst cyber-pummeling.

I’m not sure where Ii’ve been, Lynn. The last thing I seem to remember was a loud explosion.

Your cyber den of iniquity seems to be progressing very nicely but needs more chocolate.

Mama Maroon

From an artistic standpoint, I feel that it scans better. Especially if you place emphasis on the “beast” part.

I’d make a gratuitious reference to your full name, but I’m afraid that my computer would start melting.

Oh, and favorite pictures/art are quite nice to have in a relaxation space.

Please don’t forget a high table near the window for some flowers in a vase. If your allergies are that bad, put in a dry arrangement or a low maintenence cactus.

A really nice framed poster or two as visual targets to rest your eyes on when you look away from the monitor screen.

Lots and lots of electrical outlets and outlet strips.

A good drafting lamp with a magnifying lens built into it.

A writing surface or letter desk.

The daybed is a nice idea but it does consume space. Still, doesn’t it sound nice to take a break whilst laying back with a cup of hot chocolate and your latest book?

Speaking of hot chocolate, a cup warmer.

A glass front curiosity cabinet for the favorite prizes in your collection.

A glass front bookshelf section for your prized volumes and sets.

A fine halogen high-intensity reading lamp.

A light dimmer for the main room light.

A remote cordless phone.

Since this is your lair of seclusion I’ll nix the intercom.

It’s also probably too late for the obligatory wood paneling.

A framed mirror and hair brush.

And finally:

The heads of all those you have nobly vanquished in your beloved Pit.

Just a few thoughts…

Given your allergies and asthma, consider castors on furniture. I have hard wood floors and you couldn’t give me wall-to-wall carpeting any more: dust and mite traps. It’s helpful to just roll heavy furniture aside for vacuuming and dusting.

I also love interior shutters/blinds for windows. They’re easy to clean; swipe with the vac then quick follow-up with an Endust’ed cloth they’re really clean. They’re also adaptable–adjust 'em for more or less light, privacy or whatever.

Big agreement on a spare, flat table. Available work space is pure gold. I’ve seen rolling workcarts at a local no-frills store (Farm & Fleet) that would tuck beautifully under the table. They’re basically clear plastic boxes/drawers along the lines of shop organizers. A couple of those would go a long way toward storing and organizing crafty stuff, notebooks, spare reams of paper, printer ribbons, etc. Since they roll they’d be easily accessible even easier to dust around.

An idea for your recliner: if you can’t find an IKEA outlet for non-cloth surfaces you could check out woven “wickerish” options. Some of them are lumpier than hell and frankly unusable w/o cushions but some are actually very smooth, not to mention delightful in hot weather. (Hint: you’ll still need a pillow. Falling asleep on even the finest, softest caning will still leave your face looking like you napped on a waffle iron.)

Veb

Hmmmm, I’d prefer to say that I’m partial to furnishing my lair with mounds of gold and treasure and a few virgins, but alas, both are in short supply these days.

My suggestions…Some of those rollaway containers that kind of look like plastic filecabinets with wheels. I use them to hold my extra cables and hardware, and they just slide right unde the unused part of the comp desk when not in use. Bed Bath and Beyond carries them in their closet and shelving section I believe.

A good CD/DVD Rack, you can make a rather decent one with some angled shelving brackets and dowels that is part of the wall.

A panic button. Everyones workroom needs a panic button, nice and loud too. :wink:

Well, I’d suggest that for the best of both worlds, that you get a futon in your room. They may come across as a bit kitschy and not as good as having an individual couch and bed, the saved space is certainly a bonus.

A Newton’s Cradle is almost obligatory for any desk surface :slight_smile: (I enjoyed mine, until my cat knocked it over and tangled all the balls up!)

For the lava lamp, I’d suggest to go to Spencer’s Gifts since they had some very nice ones (my favorite was a Beatles Yellow Submarine model…of course, that was around 100 bucks :frowning: )

I go with Spooje on the Cambridge Soundworks. (On desk speakers are small enough to nestle under the edges of the monitor, and there’s a bigger doohickie under the desk on top of the tower. But the sound quality…great for music soft and loud, and really enhances the sound effects in FRP games - you really know when someone is sneaking up on you.)

Re Ikea, I assume that some of the merry men are having a bit of fun. Or Ikea is different elsewhere. How many stores have their own hate site, hmmmmm? http://forum.k9.co.uk/
Or you could posess preternatural patience. In which case they may be a valid shopping alternative for you.

For carpeting and cats, do you have Dyson vacuum cleaners over there? They are a UK based company, and the cleaners have terminal HEPA filtration (plus no bag, just a reusable washable-if-needed hard cylinder). We used to have a top-of-the-line-Miele, but we bought a Dyson on the recommendation of a seriously asthmatic friend (we moved to a house with carpet, and were not able to polish the floorboards, and all three of us have asthma) and it is just FANTASTIC. It just leaves the Miele in the dust (so to speak).

I’d forego candles - they look lovely but they are a fire hazard and I suspect they release a lot of fine particles which are not likely to do you any good. I’d suggest an electric aromatherapy burner (no flame), not 'cos I believe in aromatherapy, 'cos I don’t, but because I like scents. And eucalyptus/tea tree/sage oils might help you and your lungs in winter.

I would think carefully when choosing the gas heater. Some unflued gas heaters release a significant amount of noxious gas, and you may need to ventilate the room. If you have a government gas association they may be able to advise you about this. Questions to consider when buying one of these can be found at http://www.agl.com.au/athome/nsw/heating/h_unflued.asp

They may also put out a lot of moisture, and thus encourage mould growth, which is not an asthmatic’s friend. Oil column heaters are good, and AFAIK relatively safe from both the flame and noxious output points of view, but can be very pricey to run. (We had one for the baby’s room. It is no longer used. We now, oh joy, oh bliss, have ducted heating. And you’ll pry the control from my dead hand.)

What about a pinboard/corkboard/noticeboard? For keeping a tangible reminder of excellent pit interchanges, or a cartoon of particularly obnoxious posters for dart practice?

And, of course, a coaster for your SD Mod coffee mug. Hey, maybe you can get Cecil to give them out as Xmas bonuses!

Erm…a giant penny?

Okay, that may be a little much, but shouldn’t every lair have one?

Anyway, I consider good bookshelves a necessity.

A funny story- in the Old D&D set, "lair’ was spelled “liar”, so when another RPG came out, they actually thought it WAS "liar’- so they had the % chance a monster was “lying to you” instead of “% chance a monster is home”. So do we have the D&D stats for a “SDMB Administrator”?

How about a globe, fishtank, Tiffany lamp, air ionizer and a wave machine. :wink:

have you seen levenger.com? very nice bookboxes there, a bit pricy though. may i suggest a large bowl for chocolate offerings? i can recommend cadbury chocolate rabbits. mmmmm…

If there’s any room on the walls perhaps a Rene Magritte poster or print? Brighten up the room and create a vaguely unsettling effect at the same time.

Or how bout a styrofoam head? The possibilities with a styrofoam head are endless.

Check out some of the chair + 1/2 and ottoman sets that are everywhere these days. They’re really comfy (although a little on the pricey side), and have the added “curl-up room” advantage that recliners just don’t have. It’s what I’m putting in my lair as soon as we get used to the mortgage payments.

How about a tabletop fountain? I love mine.

I’ve basically converted my daughter’s old bedroom to my own personal space. I have my desk-a huge oak roll-top here and beside it my computer on a dinette table. I placed shelves-really a bookcase on top of the table and my monitor, tower, scanner, printer,speaker camera plus a few candles and junk all fit nicely. I added two extra table legs just for safety. I have 2 stacked bins on rollers under the table and put extra office supplies in one and craft supplies in the other. They slide right out and I have plenty of foot room.

I have the old love seat in here–the leather is kind of worn but it’s super comfy, and the old entertainment unit with TV/stereo in here as well. In fact my room looks a lot like my living room used to look 2 or 3 years ago.

The bonus is that my living room & kitchen & entry hall are a lot less cluttered since I moved all this stuff in here.

Don’t forget to decorate your room with the works of Thomas Kinkade.
[sub]d&r[/sup]

Allwall.com is a great place for posters. I have a huge Hannibal Lecter poster on my wall, for those unsuspecting victums to glance at when they first come into my lair. The Lecter poster is balanced out quite nicely with my Mozart poster.

:cough:Painter of Light™:cough:

[sub]d&follows Silo[/sub]