How should 2011 be pronounced?

No, old coots will say “back in eleven.” “Aught” refers to the tens place in years before '10.

Doesn’t “eleven” have at least as many syllables?

Is there? where is this? I’m not being snarky, I have genuinely never come across this as an idea. Needless to say I’m a two-thousand-and-eleven person, although I flirt with twenty-eleven occasionally. The presence or absence of that ‘and’ seems to me one of those linguistic distinguishers between US and UK/Australian etc natives.

If I tell someone that they owe me one hundred and ten dollars, I don’t expect to get to get one hundred dollars and ten cents from them…

Twenty-eight, twenty-nine, twenty-ten, twenty-eleven…

The “and” is incorrect. It’s either Two Thousand, eleven or twenty-lebbum.

Haven’t you ever written a check?
One hundred, Ten dollars and 00/100
or
One hundred and 10/100

So, 4 score and 7 years ago was actually eighty years and 7/10 of a year ago. But actually, that wouldn’t be 80 and seven (because the and operates as a decimal point), that would be 80 years + .07 years. So, I would just say that 4 score and 7 years equals 965.83 months (also known as 967 and 83 months).

I’ve been saying Twenty-Eleven.

I don’t think so … not the way I say it! Two-thousand’n’leven. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is me. I say two thousand eleven, even though I want to say twenty eleven, and should say twenty eleven.

I hear twenty eleven in my mind and associate the sound with nine eleven, which I am so sick of hearing at this point I could retch.

So naturally I blame the Republicans*. :wink:

When 2012 rolls in I won’t have a problem at all saying twenty twelve.

• Seriously, I do.

I voted for ‘two thousand eleven’ before noticed the missing ‘and’.

Where I grew up (the UK) you NEVER used numbers greater than nine to describe a decimal. And you use the word ‘point’.

What you described would be said ‘two thousand point one one’. Always.

I say “two thousand eleven,” no “and” necessary. BBC is forever saying “twenty eleven,” so I figure it’s a British thing. Other threads have gone into the “and” being chiefly British, with some regional variation in the US. My 7th-grade math teacher in Texas pounded the “and” into us, but no one else there ever used it, so it didn’t stick.

I suppose a math teacher could pound worse things into you…

She was such a cutie that none of us guys would have minded much if she had.

That’s so funny. I had a maths teacher (Geometry, I think?) who would grade you down for everything that class period if you put the “and” in.

I say either one, two thousand eleven or twenty eleven. I don’t care one way or the other, nor does anybody else I talk to.

I called last year both ways, too. Two thousand ten or twenty ten.

At least saying “two thousand eleven” sounds like a plausible choice if you say the other, or it ought to. Pity the poor Thais, who in their language must always enunciate each number. For instance, it was never “nineteen ninety-one” but rather “year one thousand nine hundred ninety-one.” Etc. Always.

I prefer the traditional, Roman numeral way.

So I pronounce it Mumumexie.

My personal rule was going to be to say “two thousand and…” right up to 2012, then switch to “twenty…” from 2013 onward.

But with all the Mayan calendar nonsense being such a popular topic, I’ve gotten used to “twenty twelve” so I have shifted back one year.

In any case, it remains “two thousand and eleven” for me.

You say tomayto, and I say tomahto…!