How should the Pit be changed, if at all?

This is one of those ideas that sounds really good in theory. However, in practice, things don’t tend to go this way.

In actual practice, a poster saying something like this is more likely an agenda pusher, or a troll here to stir up shit. It’s just not that likely that they’re utterly clueless about this. Even if they just heard or read someone else saying it, the context is pretty much going to talk about it being perceived as racist.

That said, knowing this board, there will likely be some attempt to answer their question. There may also be some rumbling in the Troll thread in the Pit, but we go out of our way to not alert the poster of this. A normal, non-trolling poster doesn’t tend to check those threads. And, even if they did, most Internet savvy people would be understanding of being wary of trolls.

The point where people start actively trying to push the poster away will be when the poster gets stubborn and won’t listen, or gives more clues that indicate they were posting disingenuously. It’ll be past the point where anything else can be said to convince them.

You talk of how the discussion will be unpleasant. But you act like our goal should be to put this one guy over everything else. The main argument for getting rid of this stuff is that there’s little chance of convincing people, and a huge downside of making their targets feel unwelcome. The more accommodating you are to a bigot, the less accommodating you are to those who face bigotry.

What I recommended at one time was just that we link the poster to the numerous threads on the topic, and tell them read them and come back if they think they have something new to add. PM a mod to open the thread again.

Sure, debunking a societal belief is hard. But that’s not what we’re doing with this obvious stuff. Society has moved on from thinking that black people are better athletes. This is a single person, who may not even be legitimately asking. And we can’t ignore the downsides of this discussion.

I can’t speak for any black people on whether or not having that question around would make them feel unweclcome. But I can say that bigotry in general tend to make the minority targets feel unwelcome.

That’s the type of stuff that I don’t want here. I don’t like that people have said they left the board due to how we wouldn’t deal with misogyny, transphobia, etc. I’d rather risk pushing away the posters who engage in that stuff than to keep pushing away minorities.

That’s what gets left out in these things that sound good. We think about the rare possibility of maybe actually getting to the root and resolving a bigoted action. It may be “unpleasant” to those of us who aren’t directly affected, but it can be a lot more to others.

There’s a reason why most places with civility rules just blanketly prohibit this type of bigotry.

The belief that only ‘badly behaving’ people get pitted is ridiculous.

I don’t generally like posting personal examples, but I will offer one here. I started an op with this, posted in its entirety so I don’t get pitted for selective quoting:

A few points: First of all, that thread devolved into enough personal insults against me that the mods had to shut the thread down. Yet not a single person got an official warning.

The mob, having lost their outlet to attack me there, then had their fun in this pit thread:

That’s just one of many examples. Many of the pittings on this board have absolutely nothing to do with bad behaviour - they have to do woth one side of the political fence using the pit to attack the other side for their supposed gullibility, stupidity, or if they can find the thinnest reed to hang on, racist, sexist, misogynist or transphobic behaviour. If they just restricted it to the arguments, fine. But it always devolves into character attacks, often extremely vile ones, for the crime of being on the other side.

Missing on your post was what was observed then by @iiandyiiii :

“I just posted a cite. This bullshit was rejected by the Republicans in the Senate. It’s completely bogus.”

Even @Deeg who is more conservative than many here had to say:
“I predict that this thread will not reflect well on Mr Stone by the time this all comes out.”

And then there were many posts from you ignoring how Trump and other sources took you for a ride; as I pointed before, it will be always interesting for me to see the phenomenon of the pitted ones demonizing the ones that made corrections and made better cites in a discussion while the pitted one never bothers to take the sources that misled him or her to task.

So you agree that the pitting was not for bad behaviour, but simply because in your opinion I was gullible?

I even said later in the thread that I generally disbelieve everything Trump said, but only gave this credibility because it seemed too specific and easy to check, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt just once. I have repeatedly said on this board that Trump is an ass, that he lies constantly, and I called him ‘a stain on the presidency.’ That didn’t stop a pit thread titled, “Sam Stone Believes Trump’s Tweets”

Wrong or right, there was nothing about my post that could be classified as bad behaviour warranting a pitting. That pit thread now has over 900 posts in it.

Oh, and Gigobuster, do you have any comment on the belief stated above that no one on this board has spammed unrelated threads with global warming stuff?

I would have to agree that it doesn’t sound like there was anything in that post that can be construed as bigoted, or the sort of post that drives away members of conferrable minorities.

I think that dismissing the evidence that it was a gullible thing to follow was the bad behavior in this case. That is not what the SDMB should be about.

As for the dig about global warming, there was a conscious decision by me to not start threads about the subject. I think there were just a few. Most of the spamming and thread creation came from misled posters, I was just corrected them many times before.

Speaking more in general, the issue remains, you need to take your sources to task when they misled you a lot. As it is, the Climate Change Computer modelers, environmentalists like Rachel Cranston, the minority professors and teachers that have their lives threatened thanks to the Orwellian lies the right wing media is telling about Critical Race Theory, and many others out there, send you their regards.

Sam_Stone didn’t dismiss the evidence. He answered iiandyiiii with this. He disagreed.

GIGObuster, what about Sam_Stone’s disagreement is not what the SDMB should be about in general, not the content?

Uh, disagreeing does not take away any of what I pointed out. And after what you pointed at, there was more evidence that showed how unreliable Trump was… again.

That thread was just about mocking what I saw as extreme gullibility, akin to believing a convicted con artist who says they have a great deal on a bridge to sell you. It didn’t go any deeper than that. The Pit is the appropriate place for that kind of mockery and ribbing, ISTM.

That’s fine. Just so that we’ve established that it’s not just ‘bad behaviour’ that gets you pitted. It’s also for being, in your opinion, gullible. Or stupid. Or misinformed, or stubborn, or…

Is relitigating every past Pit thread really helpful?

It looks like 67.5% of the 111 votes so far have voted for no changes to the pit. Seems like a pretty decisive win.

53%.

It is right there.

Assuming that such polls have any value.

Umm . . . no.

There are now 113 voters and 155 total votes. On the assumption that voters who voted for no changes are necessary didn’t also vote for changes. 53% of the 155 total votes have been for no changes which means 82.15 votes for no changes out of 113 voters is now 72.6% of the total number of voters.

I don’t think we can really make this assumption, though. I could easily imagine someone voting for multiple options, like “I’m OK with no changes or this small change, but not these larger changes,” for example. (I almost did that myself.)

These kinds of polls aren’t really good for any kind of analysis since it’s not necessarily representing the board’s population. The only people who vote are those who choose to vote. If the “I like the Pit” people are much more likely to take the survey, then the survey will overly represent those views. If the “I hate the Pit” people ignore everything about the Pit, they may not take the effort to participate in a thread like this.

Alternatively, since the thread is titled “how should the Pit be changed”, you may get an overabundance of people who think the Pit should be changed while people who don’t think it should be changed disregard the thread.

But, 115 voters is probably a pretty significant proportion of the total number of active posters around here.

At least one has no opinion whatsoever and hasn’t voted. :wink:

It is also an inherently low value poll as too many questions.

It should be a series of polls and not just 1. At very least 2 polls.
First a simple one. Basically Yes or No followed by one asking what changes should be addressed.

115 voters is a fairly significant number of active posters.