How to be a Perfect Wife.

The ideas expressed in this article sound pretty disgusting to me, but they are presented as being somewhat popular. I hope I haven’t affected your bias toward it already :wink:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0103/03/features/features1.html

Have a nice day.

Each to her own, I suppose. But ICK!

Whoa.

I mean, I’m all for surrender, submission, whatever in the bedroom…

No, wait, that’s off the topic…

Are we sure that the “real” Ms. Doyle hasn’t been replaced with a Stepford Wife?

I’ve never been married, but I’m sure you don’t have to be an idiot to know that nagging, pushy, controlling behavior isn’t the best route for relationship harmony. But “whatever you say dear?”

Oh…the gagging…the gagging…

(Italics are mine.) Manfully? As funny as this sounds, I have to say I wish my wife would close her eyes when I drive. Every time I switch lanes she about climbs out of her seat. And, I swear to you, [rainman]I’m an excellent driver.[/rainman} Seriously, I am.

Imaging my wife chanting surrendur over and over. Can’t see it ever happening.

Per the italicized portion (my italics), I must admit here that my mind wandered to a dirty place with this mental imagery.

(Italics are mine.) Manfully? As funny as this sounds, I have to say I wish my wife would close her eyes when I drive. Every time I switch lanes she about climbs out of her seat. And, I swear to you, [rainman]I’m an excellent driver.[/rainman] Seriously, I am.

Imagining my wife chanting surrendur over and over. Can’t see it ever happening.

Per the italicized portion (my italics), I must admit here that my mind wandered to a dirty place when I read this.

Holy crap, I thought I was going to have an aneurysm reading this. The thought of my man adoring me for acting this way is actually funny; he would think I had lost my mind. He wanted a woman who would be his partner, and support and respect and debate and challenge him, and that’s what he got. If he had wanted a servant, I suppose he would have hired one.

(BTW, what is that thing on the woman in the picture’s head? A dwarf rabbit?)

I cant believe what I just read. I thought it was tongue in cheek at first but no. God, my hubby would hate me to act like that as I’m sure all enlightened men would. Bleegghhh! Boke! and all that.
I can see it now,

Hubby- why are you closing your eyes while I’m driving?
me- so I dont roll them when you miss the exit dear.

me- here you go dear your packed lunch is made your shirts are ironed an no of course I dont mind if you go out with your buddies and leave me in the house forever more.
hubby- excuse me but have you been taken over by aliens? Bad vomit inducing aliens?

<shuddering>

Wow… uh… wow. WTF was that?!

There’s just something seriously wrong with this woman in my opinion. Subservience is not love nor is it even respect. It’s not even close. G-d, this article just made me physically ill. <shudder> And, not so much the article itself, but that there are couples actually subscribing to this belief. It’s not just the women practicing, but the men who condone it. Who are these losers? And why are their mentalities still in the gene pool? Jeez, this kind of extremism towards either side of this spectrum just frustrates me to no end.
What happened to just loving and having respect for one’s spouse?
[sub]Too damn much extremism.[/sub]

You guys are missing the point.

That would be the Happy Thoughts Control Device. It attaches to the cranium of the victi–err… wife with three-inch wood screws. Any time you think unhappy thoughts about your husband or your indentured servitude in general, it produces a slightly negative stimulus.*

*12V automotive batteries and convenient carrying case sold separately.

What do you think the point is?

I think whenever I feel like picking up women, I’m going to forget the singles bar and hang out at one of these support groups instead.

At least they got this part right. When I’m wrong about something, and my girlfriend suggests the correct way to do it, it’s just as if she were pricking me with pins. Nothing makes me madder than reality.

At least your husband did not go out and buy you this book.

I just about clobbered my hubby for doing that. :eek:

And yes…it got sent back to where it came from, quickly.
Surrendered wife, my ass!

As much as I disagree with almost everything in there (I hate, it HATE it when my SO says ‘whatever you say, dear’, mainly I think because she does it with dripping sarcasm. It stings like hell.), the thing about being pricked with pins every time her eyes roll or she sighs like I’m an idiot. It hurts. Correct me, sure, explain it to me, but dont make me feel like a doofus because I’ve made a mistake.

Amoebae, indeed. I hope I die from a million mosquito bites before I surrender to my man. And (god help me) I despise women who take advice like this. And what’s with the rolling eyes? Whatever happened to communicating like equals? Go away, take your little time machine and leave the 21st century.

I thought there was a point, but that was before I read part of the book. If there is a point, it is that this book is garbage.

Thank you, mrblue92. I’ll sleep better tonight now :smiley:

Please tell me he thought it was a gag gift :eek:

This book seems to be for women who married men unable to drive manfully. If building hubbys’ egos with silence and lies, and censoring their thoughts and words so not to bust their husbands’ unmanly chops helps their hubbys be better, more masculine drivers, then by all means, bite your collective wilfely tounges and lock those eyes in an anti-roll mode.
(How can you tell if your husband is driving in an unmanful manner? Do I drive in an unmanful manner? Does it matter that I’m a woman? Is this unmanful driving caused by all the times my sister rolled her eyes at me?)