How to cope with illness when all alone?

Thanks for the responses. I live 100 miles away from my neighbor, but I will definitely keep in touch with her by phone. I did some looking and there are a few ‘companion care’ services who will send someone to your home a minimum of 2 hours a day. And there is a transportation service that will pick you up to take you to the doctors and then back home! She will have to pay for this, but luckily she has some money in the bank.

The thing is, she has always been an introverted loner and is used to it. She just worries if she becomes frail and unable to drive, or cook, or do housecleaning, where she could get help. Well, it’s available for a fee out there, it’s something.

If she gets to the point that she can no longer care for herself in her home, she may be more comfortable in a care facility. Even if her husband was not worse than useless, round-the-clock feeding and cleaning up is really difficult. I have seen many situations where the ill person, in spite of having loving family nearby, is stuck in bed surrounded by filth and chaos, because they were the person who kept the household running smoothly.

Contact the local Area Agency on Aging. It will have lists of services that can be hired to help, and people knowledgeable about social services that can help.

Even if it is only hiring someone to come in for an hour a day to check on the woman, and maybe help her a little, it’s reassurance she won’t be ignored by her husband and daughter.

Also, if she’s not got enough money to hire someone, she can call her daughter and ask her to help. This is one of those occasions where people need to put aside their pride and stop thinking ‘if he/she loved me they’d read my mind and know what I need.’

From personal experience:

Her hospital’s social services should be able to hook her up with counseling and the resident chapter of Gilda’s Club, if they have one, which they probably do. They may have other kinds of support groups or group therapy, either instead of or in addition to Gilda’s Club.

The American Cancer Society can hook her up with rides to and from treatments. They also have their “Look Good, Feel Better” program which provides free makeup kits and wigs to female cancer patients along with a workshop on how to use it all and generally take care of her skin while ill. They also have online patient support forums.

If the hospital has a religious affiliation, it probably also has a chaplaincy service. They generally take pains to be non-denominational / ecumenical, but that may depend on region and individual hospital. (There are practical limits, too, if the available chaplain is unfamiliar with your spiritual path.) Social services can also hook you up with that.

She can try reaching out to her lunch buddies and other friends. Good friends pull together in times of trouble, and they may surprise her too. I know I had friends that I had only been in sporadic touch with volunteer to sit with me during chemo treatments, and I ended up being able to put together a schedule with enough volunteers to ensure no one had to do it more often than once every several weeks (6 weeks, maybe). I’m betting her daughter will pull it together too. Family crisis can inspire incredible growth of maturity, because it comes down to you either get your shit together or you wipe out spectacularly. (Though honestly I wouldn’t count on the husband.)

Be sure to see what kind background check a ‘companion care’ services does on their employees , we had some health aides in the company I worked for that steal
money and meds from their clients. :mad:

Also if sh’e over 65 and on Medicare the doctor can write scripts for her to get home health visits.

She’s 63, so getting onto Medicare through Disability may take some time.

Some good suggestions here. To sum up:

Emergency Alert System. This is what will save her life if she falls or has a heart attack and can’t get to a phone. I’m fond of GreatCall 5Star for people who are not homebound yet. It works off cell phone towers instead of a base in your house, so it works anywhere you get a cell phone signal. It’s saved my mother twice in the last year, and she’s still a relatively young healthy woman (one slip on ice with a dislocated elbow and one maybe-it’s-a-heart-attack last month.) It also has a GPS feature that allows me to log in on the website and locate the device - wonderful if you have a wanderer, but I’ve used it several times when my mom’s misplaced it. (“It’s definitely somewhere in the house, Mom. Don’t drive back to the restaurant, you didn’t leave it there. Did you check the laundry room?”)

**Department of Aging. **This is usually your, if not one-stop-shop, your first-stop-shop. They’ll have information on many different programs in her area. They’ll know how to get her set up with Meals on Wheels, homemakers, respite care (if there is any in your area) and transportation.

The hospital social worker/discharge planner. These are the people who are supposed to inform you of community resources and set things up for you. In reality, they rarely do unless you demand it, because it’s a lot of work and they have a lot of paperwork to do for a lot of discharges.

**Catholic Charities. **In many cities, they provide Homemakers (often paid for through the Department of Aging or by Catholic Charities themselves) who work up to 5 hours a day 5 days a week in the case of extreme debility. They will cook, clean, do shopping and just generally monitor and spend time with a person as needed. If you can pry them off their cell phones.

Hired caregivers. You can do this independently or through an agency. Most people I know prefer to go the independent route. It tends to be cheaper and more stable. On the other hand, it tends to be more stable, meaning if you don’t like your caregiver, you have to fire her and look for another. If you go through an agency, you just call them and tell them his one isn’t working out, please send someone else. Accredited agencies should be doing criminal background checks on all their employees, but some slip through the cracks, for sure.

If it ends up being cancer, American Cancer Society and Road to Recovery.

Another potential option is to rent out a room to a nice old lady who is willing to act as a companion/caregiver. (For some reason in my city, most of these nice old ladies are Polish, but I’m sure that varies by location.) In exchange for room and board, she can have someone around most of the hours of the day to help her out with whatever she needs. Definitely do some google homework on this option first, to see how to run a background check and what sort of things to include in a contract to keep everyone safe and sane.

Peapod, Amazon Pantry and Amazon Prime have pretty much eliminated any need to go out of the house for shopping. Whether you need toothpaste, shoes, a new mattress or groceries, let them deliver to you.

Home health is not a great option here, to be honest. And I say that as a home health nurse. Home health is not for “custodial care” or the nitty gritty day to day slog through life. We nurses are there for an hour or so once or twice a week (it can be more often if you’re medically fragile and recently released from the hospital, but Medicare wants us to cut out daily visits ASAP) to educate, perform wound care, run IVs, clear trach tubes and that sort of thing. We can get you a CNA once or twice a week for bathing/dressing/preparing light meals/running a load of laundry, but Medicare only pays for a CNA for as long as you *also *need an RN or Physical, Speech or Occupational Therapist. Many private insurance policies don’t pay for CNAs at home at all. Our goal is to get the patient and family taught how to do these things so that we’re no longer needed. If there is no family, we’re kind of screwed, and can’t do much except suggest the above and/or placement in Assisted Living or Skilled Nursing Facilities.

Most importantly - call her. You, the OP. Call her frequently, just to say hi and how ya doing. Social isolation is devastating to health outcomes. That you can do from your own home. Just call her. Put it on your calendar for twice a week or something.

Absolutely, I will call her. These are wonderful suggestions. I’ve gone through something similar with my mother who lived alone. The Dept. of Aging was NOT helpful at all, they didn’t seem to know what, exactly, I wanted - since mom wasn’t on Medicaid, we would have to pay our of pocket (because Medicare didn’t pay for anything like what I wanted). We went the private care route, paid for 4 hours of sitter/companion a day, eventually for 7 days a week, and that dwindled mom’s savings. Mom took a fall and went to the ER, and after that got Visiting Nurse visits for a few weeks after. One of them helped me fill out the Medicaid forms, and after she was on Medicaid she was eligible for placement in a nursing home…But it was me, the only one in the area, on call 24/7, she called me all the time for as long as she was able.

The funny thing is, years ago Mom became acquainted with an old biddy who lived in a room downtown, and started helping her out with shopping, food, etc. Old Biddy didn’t have a single relative. She had problems with her feet. She got to be a pest, calling SEVERAL times a day, and eventually she said she was unable to walk on her bad feet at all. I’m not sure what happened, but Mom called social services and filled them in, they sent a social worker, and Old Biddy was taken out of her awful room and put into a nursing home. If it hadn’t been for Mom taking an interest, OB could have died there and not been found for weeks.

Just wanted to say thank you. I don’t know you, or the people involved, but you’re doing a good thing. And this is all useful information.

Good job.

I have a retired friend who volunteers to drive people to appointments (mainly medical). He gets reimbursed for gas, but earns nothing from it so neither insurance nor taxi licensing is involved. I think he does this privately, not part of any organization. He lives near Montpellier, VT.

For transportation, call some nearby old-age homes, including those designed for healthy ,independent seniors (ie. just an apartment building with a central desk, a dining room, and maybe a nurse on call.)
These places can probably give you the phone number for a “taxi” guy. Usually it’s just a retired person who lives nearby, and has a car and wants to make a little bit of money while being a nice guy. He’ll make one or two trips a day for people, if you call him a day in advance.

This is a possibility that haunts my nightmares. It’s one of the reasons I decided to get a roommate. My sons both live hundreds of miles away and I bought the house I’m living in now when I downsized after my husband’s death. I don’t yet know a lot of my neighbors and haven’t made any real friends outside of the couples friends we had that all seemed to drift away when I wasn’t a couple anymore.

It was a problem when I had my knee replacement a couple of years ago. I had to spend 3 weeks post-surgery in a nursing facility because I didn’t have anyone to help me out at home, and my house is full of stairs. And I spent a fortune on taxis going to and from physical therapy after I did get home.

Me, too. And the idea that I’d have to move into a nursing facility and give up my pets one day… shudder

Many nursing facilities allow their residents to bring their pets nowadays.

But not nearly all…which is good reason to begin selecting your eventual nursing home before you actually need it. Too many people leave it until it’s a rush thing, and can’t take the time to find the right one for them, or they no longer have the ability to communicate their choices well and it gets made for them. :frowning: