I recently inherited a box of crap. Amongst this was a ton of dishes. I would have to wash them all by hand as we don’t have a dishwasher, and I was about to just toss the whole lot out.
My boyfriend, however, cautioned me. The lady that gave them to me, he said, is known for having priceless relics in her house without realizing it. She gave him an old coin once out of appreciation for something he was doing for her, and he got nearly a hundred bucks for it.
I was skeptical, mostly because there were only about half of the dishes that weren’t plastic. Still, I soaked them in warm water with mild dishwashing soap.
My skepticism was washed away, however, when I rubbed some of the dirt and grime away from the plates and found that they were, in actuality, beautiful. I’m nervous about keeping them around even if they’re worthless, because both the boyfriend and myself are total klutzes, but I’d like to find out whether this stuff is worth money, because, frankly, I could use it. How would one go about that? With stamps and coins we’ve always been able to go to the stamp and coin collectors shop. We don’t have anything like that for porcelain china (which is what this is) around here. Are there any online sites? Does anyone know about this kind of thing?
These plates (there are dinner plates and tea saucers…not sure what else, that’s all I’ve cleaned so far) really are pretty, and I’m not really the kind of person to call dishware pretty. So at the very least they might fetch a price at a flea market or something. But if they’re worth more, I’d like to know.
Any ideas? Has anyone ever done this before? Are there any china afficianados around these parts?
~Tasha