How to get closed captions on Disney+?

I’m new to Disney+. I started using it because my nephew recommended The Mandalorian. To get to it, I have to leave my cable remote, where I can just tell the remote, “closed caption,” and use the TV’s own remote. I haven’t yet figured out how to get closed caption while watching Disney+.

I’m hearing-impaired, and I’m having to turn the volume way up to understand the dialogue.

I get Disney+ through my Roku, and there is definitely an option to turn on captions.
Are you getting it via your smart TV?

Brian

I dunno how “smart” my TV is. It’s a flat screen Samsung, a couple years old. Most of the time, we use the xfinity cable remote, but to get to some apps, I have to use the Samsung remote. We’ve tried blipping around to various functions inside the Disney+ app, but closed caption is one we haven’t found.

It might work differently for you, but I have it on AppleTV and I get the subtitle/audio menu by pressing the “down arrow” button during playback.

On a Roku, it looks to be a roku option. It may be an option on your TV.
Otherwise, I found this:

Brian

Okay, I’ll try that. If it doesn’t work, now I know how to find help.disneyplus.com .

We watch Disney+ via the app on our game console.

There are no caption options in the main movie menu, like on Netflix.

Instead, when you pause the movie, there’s a little icon at the top. We use the console remote to move up to that icon, which expands to show caption choices (and alternative languages).

It’s not exactly intuitive. When we first got Disney+, it took me several minutes of searching through the interfaces before I noticed the pause icon and figured out what it did.

Odd.

I get Disney+ over my Fire Stick and getting closed captions hasn’t been a problem. I’ve been using them more and more between aging ears and more and more content from other parts of the world.

Find it really annoying that there is such a lack of consistency on how to access features like that.

On my Samsung tv, there is a button towards the bottom of the remote that says “CC”, I just press that.