[QUOTE=Hippy Hollow]
DJ Motorbike made a comment that I perceive to be true among Whites; that being accused of racist behavior is one of the worst things that one can be accused of. Do you agree?
[/QUOTE]
As a white chick, and speaking only for myself, yes. Partially because I (like many, many other people) am very aware of the difficult history of race relations and socially and legally reinforced bigotry in this country; partially because it is an accusation against which I have no defense.
I do not consider myself a racist person. I grew up well after desegregation of schools, with parents who always taught me that a person should be judged on the content of their character and not the color of their skin, shape of their eyes, accent, physical or mental disabilities, etc. I was absolutely bewildered when I learned that there had once been separate drinking fountains for non-whites, as if skin color were cooties. I’ve also lived in culturally diverse Los Angeles since I was quite small, surrounded by people of all backgrounds.
But what can I say if someone accuses me of being prejudiced against someone because of their skin color?
I can’t point to the fact that I hang out with people of many differing ethnicities, as this is the “some of my best friends are …” defense. I can’t prove my own thoughts or opinions. I could possibly point to my own non-white ancestry, but it is far enough back that I look completely white (whatever that means) so clearly I’m “passing” well enough. There is absolutely no way I can prove to someone that I haven’t done something for race-based reasons.
It is also gut-wrenching for me, as a white person, to be accused of racism because often the accusation itself is for race-based reasons; because I am white, I am more likely to be suspected of prejudice against non-white people. Racism hurts no matter who throws it around.

