How useful are medical ID tags?

The Mrs. wants me to get some kind of medical ID thing because of a recent trip to the ER and all the medications I’m on. I have some issues with this.

1. I don’t wear jewelry. Wedding ring yes; bracelet, necklace, chains, other rings, no.
  2. I hear conflicting information on how helpful they are, such as how much info you can put on one and if EMTs actually look for them.
  3. Hi Opal

Are there any EMT/medic types who can provide some info? Do you guys/gals look for necklaces, medical info cards in wallets, ICE numbers in cell phones, etc?

Not an EMT but from previous threads, ID bracelets/necklaces are looked for.
ICE in a cell phone is more for police/at hospital to notify next-of-kin.

Info should be what an EMT needs to know in the field.

They don’t care if you’re astigmatic, they do care if you’re(example) epileptic/diabetic or taking a narcotic painkiller.

Exactly. They also care if you’re on blood thinning medication such as Coumadin or Plavix. Knowing that in the field ASAP can make a huge difference.

Or if you’re allergic to something common, such as latex or penicillin.

My husband is allergic (has a sensitivity) to aspirin/ibuprofen. He only wears his bracelet when he skis or mountain bikes. He does have medical information in his wallet next to the BCBS card. So far it has not been an issue.

I always tell him to wear it on the left wrist because that is where the EMT’s are taught to look for it.

A diabetic friend had “Type I Diabetic” tattooed on their left wrist because she hated the medic alert bracelet.

Maybe a “If found return to . . .” type tattoo.

Wonder if I could get something engraved on my watch. Doesn’t sound like they would go through pockets looking for a medical keychain.

There are medical alert watches, watchbands, and even tags that can be slid onto a watchband you already own. Google turned up a host of sites for me on the terms ‘medical alert watch’. There’s a lot more variety than there used to be on this stuff.