[QUOTE=rjung]
Doing a Cap movie in WWII sounds like a tough sell for the mass market, IMO. In fact, any mention of Cap-fights-Nazis-then-gets-frozen-until-modern-day is already too convoluted for a first movie.
[/QUOTE]
I disagree. It seems like a simple premise to me. It didn’t leave many folks behind when Mike Myers copied the treatment for Austin Powers.
[QUOTE=rjung]
Despite the sterotypical nature of the beast, I think the only hope for a Cap movie would be to couch it in the modern day. Steve Rogers is a scrawny soldier performing supports operation in Iraq when he gets “volunteered” to test a new nerve gas vaccine. The formula gives him superhuman fighting skills (not to mention a sudden infusion of muscle mass), but during the experiment the lab – and all of its research data – is destroyed in an insurgent mortar attack. That’s Act I.
[/QUOTE]
Strongly disagree. Legendary WW2 hero is central to the Captain America mythos. It’s one of the only events that Marvel doesn’t subject to their “sliding timeline.” Moreover, there are so many themes that can be explored by viewing today’s society through the lens of the “Greatest Generation.”
[QUOTE=rjung]
Act II is your standard action-hero fare, with Steve fighting insurgents in disguise as Captain America. He starts off taking a simplistic “all terrorists are evil” outlook, but as he battles the enemy and actually meets them, the more he realizes that many of them are simply defending their country from a foreign invader, and the matter isn’t as simplistic as it first looks. His development is aided by an Australian journalist who serves as an interpreter while simultaneously questioning the pretense for the war.
In Act III, he discovers classified documents that confirm the whole premise for the invasion was a bunch of nonsense, that the government leaders used the pretense of WMDs as an excuse to secure the nation’s oil supplies and hand out juicy overpriced government contracts to cronies. Cap ends up passing the documents to his journalist friend, igniting a political sh*tstorm at home, but stays in Iraq to fight on, out of a sense of duty to help his brothers in arms survive the quagmire they’re now in and return home.
Yeah, Act III would be a tough sell, but given the populace’s growing discontent for the war and distrust for the Bush Administration, it might not be as tough as it first looks. Especially if the movie ends on a support-the-troops note, which is a very Cap attitude.
[/QUOTE]
I feel your storyline seems more concerned with anti-Bush liberal politics than it does exploring the character of Captain America. Quite honestly, I feel like there have been a healthy dose of films — fictional and documentaries — that have explored the motives for and execution of the overseas campaigns. I don’t know why drowning a super-hero movie in to such a divisive subject is neccessary.
The Captain America I (pretend to) know transcends “right” and “left” politics and is not a subversive.
Don’t get me wrong and please don’t lump me in with RikWriter. I’ve got liberal leanings myself and I’m sure I would pay to see a movie like the one you pitch, but not as a Captain America movie.