HTC smartphone problem - air bubble under screen

I seem to be having a slight problem with my fairly new HTC Sensation. I bought it on eBay, so even though the phone was new I doubt HTC will fix it. I have a T Mobile plan which is cheaper if you provide your own phone - T Mobile wanted $600 for the Sensation, I found it on eBay for $330, so I got the cheaper phone since i had to buy it myself. It is less than 3 months old.

There is an air bubble under the screen glass; I don’t have any screen protector on my phone. It is really starting to bother me. When I first noticed it I moved it around with my finger and it disappeared for a few days, but now it is back and it is larger.

It moves when I rub it but it won’t go away. I tried taking a hair dryer to it, and heat will make it disappear, but it always returns.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks!

There are a few natural air gaps in a display stack-up. How are you noticing this one…by feel, or sight? I’m not familiar with that particular device, and I’m having a hard time picturing how this works based on past phones I worked on.

-D/a

By sight - I’ll try and get a picture, later. It is hard to see if my phone is on, but if it is off (black screen) it is noticeable.

PS - I enjoyed my stay in your neck of the woods. Ft. Lauderdale is lovely. I safely walked down to the Winn Dixie and got dinner and SPF 50.

Here is a picture, I hope this works. It will move if I rub my finger on it. If I take a hair dryer and heat it, it will go away but it always comes back. I really like the phone except for this bubble.

My first thought is, maybe it came from a flawed batch that was discarded or sold super-cheaply due to anticipated defects, and the guy who sold it to you bought it and flipped it. That would explain why it was more affordable (and may end up being the price you pay for not buying direct).

You should at least try calling the manufacturer and explaining the situation, though. You don’t want to wait too long, because you may still be within the manufacturer’s warranty period. In any case, it sounds like you’ve exhausted the potential home repair options. Unless you want to keep blow drying your phone all the time, give it a shot.

Heh…I hadn’t read this when I sent my PM asking about the trip. Glad it worked out!

Is there a screen protector on it?

If you can move it around, it’s going to be in one of the top layers…either a 3rd party protector, or a cover-lens. If it actually disappears and comes back…there might be a bad seal. One thing you could try is to push it out of the way, or try to make it vanish with the hair dryer…then apply force around the top edges of the display. Picture a flat plastic/glass piece that sits on top, with glue underneath at the edges to hold it in place. If there isn’t even force applied in the factory, it may “leak”. I’ve never seen one quote do that, but I guess it’s possible.

Depending on how it’s put together, you might be able to lift the lens off and check it out. But I wouldn’t suggest doing that if you haven’t done it before - you can very quickly reach the point of no return and be stuck without a usable device.

One thing that might work…take it to a few malls and show it to people in kiosks trying to sell phone repairs and stuff. Maybe someone will be experienced and be able to fix it somewhat cheaply.
-D/a