Human beings are very cruel and indifferent, pathetic really, The landscape of Incarus

Human beings are essentially indifferent to human suffering. No wonder people committ suicide. I can totally understand. And people have the nerve to call them selfish. What is selfish is watching someone drowning and turning a blind eye.

1. self
  2. children
  3. immediate family
  4. extended family
  5. village/community
  6. tribe
  7. friends/allies
  8. country
  9. all others, except enemies

That’s generally the pecking order of empathy/sympathy. You can appreciate that time, emotion, resources are stretched very thin as you progress down the list.

No it isn’t.

That’s rarely the case.

This too is rarely the case.

It sounds like you recently lost someone close to you. This must be a very difficult time for you.

Thank you for your post, I truly appreciate but it has been my experience

Incarus? The guy who flew too close to the sun, and his pen leaked?

Yeah, it was night, he didn’t see the sun until it was too late.

Is this about this?

It has not been my experience (quite the reverse.)

When my mother died, the School Chaplain (I’m a teacher) came round to hug me.
One friend promptly drove 100 miles to help me deal with the formalities. Another friend phoned me every day for a month - just to comfort me.

Care to get into specifics?

If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand. I’ve seen your face before my friend. But I don’t know if you know who I am.

to be honest

i rather another human being be hateful, cruel to me then being indifferent too me

at least if they hate me, they have an emotional reason for it, they still see me as a human (most the time) and im at least “cared for”
someone being indifferent to me, simply doesn’t recognize me as a human, i am nothing…

And how does that make you phil?

[quote=“QuickSilver, post:2, topic:746271”]

1. self
  2. children
  3. immediate family
  4. extended family
  5. village/community
  6. tribe
  7. friends/allies
  8. country
  9. all others, except enemies

That’s generally the pecking order of empathy/sympathy. You can appreciate that time, emotion, resources are stretched very thin as you progress down the list.

That is why individuals with good families are very blessed.

Daylight savings time will never be the same again…

[quote=“quantumleap2016, post:12, topic:746271”]

Are we supposed to beg you for details? Cuz that ain’t going to happen, callous and uncaring bunch that we are.

We’re better than spiders.

Spiders have suicides?

[quote=“quantumleap2016, post:12, topic:746271”]

Quite frankly, and though this will come off a little harsh, I don’t mean it as such, but it sounds like if that’s the case, you’re surrounded by bad people. I love my family, but not all of them are good people that are conducive to me living a good life, supporting me, helping me grow, and encouraging me to use my talents to do the same for others. This is true, to varying degrees, for all the people we come across in our lives, in some cases we have harmonious paths, it others we have contradictory ones, or we might even have one where one is in some manner siphoning energy emotion or resources off another. If this is the case for you, whether they’re acquaintances or family, with some more tolerance the closer and more important they are to you, it may well benefit you to consider reducing your contact with them.

And yes, there are cruel people out there who will just let others suffer, or may do nothing, but it’s difficult to really pass that sort of judgment on others as we don’t know their own situation. Recently, I was in a situation where I was helping someone, and they kept insisting I was being selfish because I had to stop. Nevermind I’d gone far beyond what most people would do, but extending myself like that wasn’t only straining my money resources, but it was literally affecting my health. They said to me and to others that I was being selfish and protecting my own ego, but it had ultimately become parasitic where they just had come to expect that help, it was causing me a great deal of pain, and they weren’t doing anything to fix the situation for themselves.

So, my point is, don’t just assume people are cruel, it’s important to understand their struggles. Hell, sometimes two suffering people can combine their strengths to help the others with their weaknesses, often times people may pass up on helping others out of fear, shame, or their own. I think it’s a stretch to call that selfishness. If we can understand others’ perspectives and struggles, we immediately feel more sympathy and a greater desire to help them. Maybe we all can do more to help eachother.

Are you kidding? I always see them hanging from the rafters!

[quote=“Blaster_Master, post:17, topic:746271”]

Thank you, I apologize if it look like I was making a generazlization.

go watch some videos of lions or hyenas taking down a gazelle or zebra, and eating half of it while it screams in agony. Then come back and say we’re “indifferent” and “cruel.”

there are of course individuals among us who can be indifferent and/or cruel, but we as a society have put measures in place to censure or punish them.

meanwhile, nobody is volunteering to tell the lion to stop chewing on the gazelle.