Hypothetical 2016 US Presidential Election

I’d vote for Casey/Lynch in a heartbeat obviously.

Qin, you certainly have changed since you first started posting here.

Bob Casey feels a little like a “Sam Nunn” (old Georgia senator from a while back) type of conservative Democrat.

Why would you vote for him?

Inside baseball indeed.

Qin - check out the Almanac of American Politics and CQ’s Politics in America at your library’s reference section. Though conservative for my tastes, they are great reading for political geeks like myself. If they are not available there, find yourself an excuse to wander around a university library.

I’d be startled at Qin’s political evolution, except -er- well I emerged from conservatism in my teenage years as well.

I don’t consider Susan Collins to be a moderate and am unaware of any Republican moderates serving in Washington in a legislative capacity. This isn’t the 1980s, 1960s, 1970s, 1940s, 1910s, 1930s, 1920s or 1950s. It isn’t even the early 1990s.

:stuck_out_tongue: That’s what everybody tells me…

From what I’ve seen Senator Casey seems to be solidly liberal on everything except abortion, guns, and some environmental issues while Senator Nunn was more of a Blue Dog Democrat in general.

:wink: I hope I get that for my graduation gift…

Well, when he was 13, his questions were easier to deal with. Folks get complex when they grow up.

Dangit, you made that hard. Bob Casey’s stance on copyright law and his anti-abortion stance sealed the deal, though. I’d end up voting Collins. She’s all over the place, but seems to be generally motivated by sanity.

Once again: It’s too motherfucking soon. Let’s please have a general moratorium on discussion of the 2016 presidential election until the 2014 midterms are over and done with. That makes sense, because the results of the midterms will, as always, help shape the political environment for the next election.

Normally I’d agree but this is patently a hypothetical of the Never-Gonna-Happen variety, in which case it doesn’t matter that much.

And this is definitely a toughie. I’m very slightly inclined towards Collins but I’d have to hear their actual platforms before making that choice.

Oh yeah, if this was ever going to happen, I’d be making my final decisions somewhere around Oct. 31st. Since we’re never going to get the campaign this hypothetical presents, I just went off the wiki page.