I am a telefundraiser

I just got a job calling people – preferably during dinner time – to ask them for money. It feels a little odd. But I’m calling on behalf of good things like PBS or the Sierra Club, not scummy things like unsecured credit cards, time-shares or CDs not available in any stores, so at least I feel like I’m using my powers for good instead of evil.

Last night was my first night on the phones. I successfully brought in my first donation, which has me pretty stoked. Forty bucks. She initially offered 35, then added five more with no prompting whatsoever. Then I had to sit through several minutes during which she talked about why she doesn’t believe in credit cards. Such are the hazards of this job.

I was also told to drop dead by this old guy.

I wasn’t really offended; it was more funny than anything. Thing is, he told me to drop dead because I had called him while he was watching a good TV show. That’s an attitude I can definitely respect! :stuck_out_tongue:

I gave at the office :slight_smile:

Congrats! Don’t let the abuse get to you… Ignore that stuff, and focus on the cool people. That’s my advice. Stay strong!!

Abuse? Calling during dinner is abuse. Interupting a movie is abuse. Barging into your home uninvited is abuse.

2003 will be, to the best of my knowledge, the centenary of telemarketing:

Since you are using your powers to annoy me with unwanted phone calls, I’m afraid you are using them for evil, after all.

Sorry, but if I give your organization money that will encourage other organizations to call me, asking for money. So don’t call me.

Well, you know, I don’t get to pick.

When you call me, I WILL say “oh shit” and hang up on you, I suggest getting a real job.

unclviny
(who does not do business with telemarketers, collection agencies or spammers)

What a great idea! That’s exactly what I was thinking over the course of the past few months as I churned out resumes in vain.

Say what you will, but when I was running out of savings and desperate for a job, who pulled my ass out of the fire? The telefundraisers. Not the “legitimate” businesses. Wasn’t good enough for them.

I hope I get the opportunity to call people during dinner whose companies wouldn’t give me the time of day.

Fair enough, but keep looking (I don’t want you joining “the dark side” permanently)

unclviny

I used to donate to our local PBS stations (we have two in the are) regularly…until they started telephoning me. Since they didn’t remove my name from their lists after three (3) separate requests, I quit donating to them.

Yeah, it’s for a good cause, but that doesn’t mean that I like it, or will support those who use this method.

Oh Snooooopy, hasn’t anybody warned you?

On this board, you can admit to having a more-than-just-friends relationship with your Rottweiler. You can 'fess up to dealing drugs to little kids. Shit, you can even admit to liking Barry Manilow, or worse (not that it gets much worse than that).

But all these ‘indiscretions’ pale into insignificance compared to the wrath that will now be heaped upon you as a telefundraiser.

There is only one unpardonable sin here at the SDMB…and you’ve committed it!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(Psst…I’m one too…but I learned my lesson earlier this year. There are some things you just DON’T tell).

As a telephone worker (no, not sex) I have a rant all worked up for the pit some day soon. Yep, it’s a rant about the people who answer the phone to me :wink: I am waiting for an especially shitty day at work before dropping it into the pit. Keep an eye out for it kambukta and Snoooopy!

You heard it here first kids!

[sub]Hi there, I am calling to let you know about an upcoming Pit-thread. This train wreck will only be available for a short period of time, so I am sure you would like to ensure your front row lawn chair as soon as possible. Can you give me your credit card number please?[/sub]

I’ll be there Iteki if for no other reason than to help you reassemble after the board tears you to bits.
Are you sure you’re feeling brave (or masochistic) enough?? :smiley:

(Oh, and I can give you a better deal on the deck chairs than Iteki…and we take AmEx as well!)

:stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck, Snooooooooooop. Don’t let them break you.

Here’s another “no” vote from someone who’s actually stopped supporting some worthwhile nonprofits because they persist in engaging in telephone solicitation. One caller for my local PBS station actually accused me of being abusive when I explained to him that I refuse to donate to any organization that uses telemarketing. This, after he interrupted my dinner.

But … but … but I’m still better than a troll … right?

Right?

Wrong. Sorry. Trolls don’t ring at dinnertime. We Telemarketers/fundraisers/canvassers are far worse than your average troll. Trolls might take up bandwidth, but according to the general population, we use oxygen to which we are not entitled.

:smiley:

The next time a telemarketer calls me, I will have to greet him or her with a show of solidarity – “Hello, my fellow phone soldier!” or something like that.

But I won’t be shelling out any money. Telemarketers never have anything I want to buy.

At my house, telemarketers are almost always just hung up on without a word. I have no sympathy or tolerance for people who waste my time calling me trying to get me to part with my money. Even if they’re “just doing their job”, and especially when they call at 9 in the morning on a Saturday, or while I’m trying to eat. Its annoying and inconsiderate, and a piss-poor way to try to get on my good side.

No offense meant to Snooooopy or kambuckta…I’m sure you’re good people, and you are, after all, just doing your job. :wink: