I am going to lose my fucking mind. [Electricity(?)-related]

A few months ago, I left the room for a few minutes, with the computer on. When I came back, the screen was black, and the computer was making much less noise than it should be making. The tower has two lights on it: the green, solid light, and the orange, blinky light. This time, ol’Blinky was solid, just like Mr Green next to him. I was forced to do a hard shut down, and when I tried to turn it on again, it refused. It took about a half an hour to get it to turn on, and when it did, I saw that the weirdness had only just begun.

The “picture” on the monitor does not stay in place. Sometimes, it “drops,” where the picture seems to slide down below the screen, and the top part only remains. Sometimes, it “jumps” clear through the top of the monitor, and only the bottom half is visible. Sometimes, black bars appear. Sometimes, it plain old disappears, leaving the monitor black, with spots of light purple or a big while halo in the middle.

Ok, I decided, I need a new monitor.

Until about a week later, when I was sitting in front of the computer innocently writing a paper. Click, scrape, whoooooooooooooosh! The monitor went black, and the computer was eerily silent. Blinky was now solid. Hard shut down, waited half an hour, and I was good to go. I call these freak outs.

Once every few weeks, the computer would bug out like that, and nearly every day the picture on the monitor would slide around. I would be convinced that it was a monitor problem only if it weren’t for the noises the computer makes and the solid orange light. I had no idea what the problem is, but my mother insists that it’s my fault, because I don’t use the computer right. She says I “type too fast,” and that’s what makes it crash. However, she also thinks that I make the computer crash by having a desktop that’s blue, so whatever. :rolleyes:

In reality, I think I’m pretty good to my computer. I don’t have any unnecessary stuff installed on it. In fact, the only programs I run regularly are Word, Excel, AOL, IE and Winamp. Maybe I should say ran regularly, because at the beginning of last week, both AOL and Winamp stopped running. They can’t be started up at all. Ok…fine. Piece of useless shit is now down to running only 2/5 of the programs I use, and when they are running, damned if I can see them on the motherfucking monitor.

And by the middle of last week, my computer had gone from freaking out once every other week or so, to once every few hours. Last night, while I was trying to get my work done, it was going at the rate of about once every 45 minutes. Finally, I went totally apeshit and decided I was NOT starting it up again. Instead, I decided to relax by watching TV. Except…

The fucking TV wouldn’t turn on. Yeah, that happens fairly often, too. I’ll turn the TV off at night, and in the morning, it won’t go back on. A week later, I’ll give it a try, and lo, and behold! It’s back.

What the shit?!

You’ve got gremlins.

Just a suggestion.

Go to the kitchen and turn on the electric oven. Does the overhead light brighten or darken noticable? No electric oven, try other electric appliances and see if dimming/brightening occurs. If so, you probably have what’s called an open common. Normally, your power should not flicker at all. If it does, this means the voltage is not 115V but either too high or too low. If you have an open common, you need to get it fixed immediately. A call to the power company is a good start.

Good Luck.

Check your power NOW.

Sounds like you have very dirty power (spikes and brown outs). A line conditioner may help if you can’t do anything else about your power right away.

A few additional observations: the power company has responsibility to a certain point, usually where the aerial service connects to your service cable, and the meter. Everything else is on you. Deteriorated SE cable, open neutral, poor connections in the meter can, at the neutral ground bus in the panelboard, and/or defective main or branch circuit breaker(s) can all contribute to the problems described.

OTOH, you may have the bad karma of coincidence, as power supply faults in your PC can cause many evils, as can be said for the power supply in the TV.

Are you in an area prone to lightning strikes? If so, you may wish to have a qualified electrician install a whole house surge suppression unit in the panelboard to protect electronics such as the TV and puter. A UPS for the PC is a good thing, also.

If you don’t have one, and it sounds like you don’t, I’d definitely install a UPS (uninterruptible power source) as DwC mentioned – I recommend APC’s Back-UPS – for 3 reasons:

1. All commercial power is dirty to some extent, so it’s a good idea regardless.
  2. The other stuff going on points to a power problem.
  3. The behaviour of the UPS will give you some information regarding the problem – does it trigger a lot, what’s happening in the rest of the house when it triggers, does this stuff happen without it triggering, etc.

The sooner you can do this, the better.

Miller, I was thinking ghosts, but you might be spot on!

NotMrKnowItAll, unfortunately, I don’t live in a house. I live in a college dorm. It’s one room, with two fluorescent lights, a fridge/microwave, computer and TV. Both the computer and the TV are fairly new. They lived with me at my parents’ house and later at my apartment, and none of this nonsense ever went down.

Darkhold and danceswithcats, I think it is partially a power problem. Since we have no personal dealings with the electric company, I’ve called the housing people but they seem to not really care.

Sample_the_Dog, I have a surge protector but no UPS. Thanks for the tip, I’ll get one.

The computer appears to have something else wrong with it, too. Mr Mercury (computer programmer) came over last night to have a look, and when you try to run diagnostic software or Scandisk, it shuts the program down. When you try to run many programs that you would use normally (AOL, Winamp) it shuts those down as well.

Oh, well, I guess it’s time to switch operating systems. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh! Now it makes more sense.

Not necessarily. Sounds like your system may not have enough available memory to run all the required processes.

Try clearing all temp files, histories, etc., then manually deleting as many useless files as you can (transfer them to disk or just kill them), and using the add/remove programs function to get rid of programs you never use.

Then reboot, kill your Internet connection, turn off as many processes as possible (kill the firewall, AOL, nonessential mouse software, that sort of thing), then try running your disc cleanup utilities.

Then change your startup settings so that only essential programs such as your firewall are initiated on startup (you’d be surprised how many frivolous programs will set themselves to initiate on startup when you choose a standard installation).

Then go out and buy a couple more sticks of memory anyway. :wink:

Ok, this is the third time I have tried to respond. Hopefully, the little shit won’t shut down mid-reply.

Thanks for the advice, Sample. I don’t think memory’s the problem, because I have 262144 K (according to the memory test), which Mr Mercury assures me is more than enough considering that this computer is only employed for light uses. If my ancient Mac could handle some AOL and Word, and some mp3 action, this computer should be ashamed to run out of memory in the course of my normal use.

Also, I have a massive bug up my ass about software that starts up when the computer starts. Nothing starts on startup. So, when we were trying to run diagnostic, no frivolous programs were running. Regedit was religiously maintained, except that now, it doesn’t run. I try to run it, it fucking disappears.

Temp files are cleared routinely. Internet history is kept for “0 days.” Is there other history I should be removing? Also, I don’t have software I don’t use. The hard drive says it has 37.2 GB capacity, with 11.9 GB used. 8.26 GB of that is music, so I don’t think much is going to change.

Sorry if I come off sounding snarky, but Sunday night is my long-awaited TV night. Unfortunately, this seems to be the TV’s long-awaited weekend off… :mad:

Sounds to me your hard disk might be failing.

Worth trying: If you have Windows NT / 2000 / XP, right-click on “My Computer”, choose Manage. Click on the “+” next to Event Viewer, then click on System. Do you see red circles with white crosses saying “System Error”?

My suggestion: back up your data immediately! Get a new hard disk, copy over your files while you can.

Your hard disk might be an IBM “Deathstar”.
http://consumeraffairs.com/news03/ibm_drives.html

However, any hard disk might fail in the way you are describing.

I was also thinking HD problems before reading about the TV quitting. My drives overheat if the case is not left open, because there’s 2 of them crammed together in a little bitty space with insufficient ventilation, and the symptoms are the same (drive light goes on and nothing works). But in your case, Mercury, maybe there is faulty electricity messing with the drive.

Or it could be faulty electricity messing with the drive controller - and if that’s the case, the problem needs to addressed quickly, because controllers don’t like to die alone.

Maybe a sidetrack but I don’t see this option in NT4. :confused:

Frankenstein Monster: yes, there’re some System Errors in event manager. Not a whole lot, but a few here and there. They all originate from Service Control Manager. :confused:

I’ll be backing up some data. I was really hoping that this could be fixed without buying a new hard drive. I’m moving out in 3 weeks, and was planning to change operating systems, so I was hoping that would take care of it all.

What a stupid pile of shit. :mad: Believe me, I do pretty nasty jobs on lab computers, this one doesn’t know how good it’s got it!

Bingo! Buy an APC BackUPS LS 500(UC) and most of your power woes will disappear. It filters, kicks on in moments of sag, protects when in spike, and in a power outage, you won’t lose your data.

$85-120. Buy from APC direct, it’s much cheaper. Our office upgraded from a previous model to this one at $85 each, I don’t know how much they are without a trade-in.

Sam

hmmm… the messages from an (intermittently) failing hard disk would come from “atapi” or “disk”. Although if the problem is bad enough you wouldn’t necessarily see them. So I guess no firm conclusion here. (Service Control Manager is usually a software problem, so that’s probably unrelated; depending on exactly what it says (when you double click it)).

I don’t have much experience with power quality problems. So maybe give the other advice in this thread a try first.

cityboy916, you’re right, I haven’t used NT4 for… five years? Guess I got carried away…

“I live in a college dorm” changes the whole picture. There has been discussion within the fire service and electrical communities about electrical service in domitories. Essentially, when your Dad went to college, he had a portable typewriter, a stereo, and a desklamp. Total load = less than 1 kW.

Contrast that with all of the stuff you and other students are plugging in to a distribution system likely designed for loads of the 1970’s, and you will see where I’m going.

Have other students encountered similar problems? If so, document your findings as it not only an inconvenience, but also a fire hazard. Are you and fellow students using extension cords? Outlet expanders?

Take the evidence to College Administration, and request review, together with an action plan for electrical upgrades and fire safety. If they are unsure where to go-direct them to the NFPA, National Fire Protection Association.

Personally, I’m saddened every time I open the NFPA Journal and read of a dormitory or frat/sorority house fire. You’re in school to learn, but at the same time can be an advocate for improvements of safety. [/off soapbox]

Not in the least. Sounded very straightforward to me. No worries. :slight_smile: