I can't believe I'm starting the MMP

I will be soooooo glad when FCD is no longer on pain meds every 6 hours. Between that and my bladder, it’s been some time since I had a solid night of sleep. OK, the bladder thing is my fault - I’ve been hydrating a lot in the evenings. But drinking sugar-free fruit punch flavored drink keeps me from snacking. Anyway, he sees the surgeon on Thursday for a follow-up and I’m hoping by that time, the worst will be over. Well, till December when we do this again.

It’s 57° more or less out there and supposed to stay in the 70s today. I’m going to play lumberjack because another heat wave is on the way and I want to get the firewood cut and stacked and done with. Plus fresh air and exercise will probably do me good.

hippie - glad your reunion was more pleasant than anticipated!

I know there’s no way it will happen, but I’d love to reconnect with my bootcamp company. I’d be curious to know if any of them made the Navy a career. That was almost 50 years ago, too, and it only lasted 8 weeks, so my memories are very few and vague, but it would still be interesting.

Meanwhile, till the sun rises, I shall amuse myself on the intrarwebz. Happy Saturday!!

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN 'Tis 68 Amurrkin out and mostly cloudy with a predicted high of 88 and partly to mostly N.O.S. for the day. 'Twill be a day of sloth. I foresee some quality cee-mint pond time and nappage. We have plenty of sammich makin’s, chips, etc. so any need to feed will be via forage.

Wow, twenty years since 9/11! Just does not seem like it was that long ago.

Hippie glad the reunion went well.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Sattidy Y’all!

I have 9/11 overload. Our local channels are from DC, so there have been endless stories and interviews specifically dealing with the plane that hit the Pentagon. I understand - I really do - but I’ll be so glad on Monday when the news programs quit the heart-tugging music and video collages and interviews with people who were supposed to be on this plane or in that office…

I’m not unsympathetic, I’m just tired of it. Oversaturated. Emotionally wrung out.

Something that struck me - Roxy is farther away from 9/11 than I am from WWII. That war was ancient history to me when I was a kid - and I expect once Roxy is old enough to learn about the attacks, it will be even more ancient to her.

Sorry to dump this here, but I fear if I posted these sentiments anywhere else, I’d risk crucifixion. I think I’ll go skritch Taz and chill.

Mrs. L.A. doesn’t want to return it. So I guess we’ll just keep the knob pushed in with a zip-tie.

(Theoretically, there are people who adjust these things. Maybe I’ll call a furnace store.)

I’ll admit to an “Told ya so” sentiment when I read this.

I stayed up till, like, three in the :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: morning, watching dumb videos on Facebook. Super responsible use of time. Now I have a solid case of the blurfs.

BLURF!!

Afternoon all.

It’d be our 20th skool leaving anniversary- at least for those who finished 6th form- this year, but so far as I’m aware there have been no attempts at any reunions. I think the ease of staying in vague touch via social media may have killed, or at least wounded, the concept. The only ones I’m bothered about I’m still in contact with anyway, so I wouldn’t bother.

Moving day will be Moanday, so today is sorting through my stupidly large collection of Stuff and attempting feebly to sort it into stuff to bring, stuff to stuff in a friend’s garage, and ‘Why the heck do I even have this stuff?’ stuff.

I am also going shopping for more stuff- the room has a single bed (presumably in an attempt to ensure that students only have skinny dates) so I need new sheets. Also, my dressing gown is at the point where it’s basically rags and many of my socks have apparently migrated south for the winter.

If it has the same system as the ones I fiddles with, the igniter is what is supposed to keep the gas on as well. There are interfaces that maintain proper gas flow in the igniter unit. Had the same problem with a gas furnace once. Replacing the igniter fixed it. If you have to hold the button down that long and it still doesn’t stay lit, you have a major malfunction in the unit and I wouldn’t consider it safe for use. YMMV.

Out in the yard early today to vacuum underneath the bird feeder. Buncha little Onans, those finches!

I barely manage to keep my indoor floors clean, and you’re vacuuming outside?

Finished a thing for my mother (long story) and got to the post office while they were briefly open on a Saturday morning to send off her package. Finally.

Saw some flowers and stuff, and interacted with a couple of very pleasant humans.

Drove home crying at the thought that this was probably gonna be the highlight of my weekend. It’s downhill from here.

Wait a minute! I thought talking to us was the highlight of your weekends!

I feel so betrayed.

Good morning everyone.

Yeah, I think the cold is winning the battle. I have a sore throat and stuffy nose. Once again, I couldn’t sleep for ****, so I came downstairs to watch bad TV until I drifted off. I also took a dose of Nyquil. I guess I drifted off, but the sleep was restless and I kept waking up every hour. Ugh.

FCM, I’m right there with you regarding 9-11, for much the same reasons. I think it’s important to remember and honor those who died, especially the rescuers, but at the same time, I too feel over-saturated. I don’t think we should forget, but I don’t need to hear about it for two weeks before and after the date.

I shall force myself to knock out some chores today, mainly because I didn’t do a darn thing yesterday other than make sure Polar had his meds. I just feel “blah” and can’t be arsed to do anything which is not good considering the kitchen needs cleaning up, the floors need washing, and the carpets need vacuuming. Oh, everything needs dusting. Maybe if I can become immersed in the chores, I can forget about how crappy I feel.

Wow. You speak for me. I mean, every word of this post is Shoe world, too.

Today was reasonably not batshit insane. :slight_smile:

Glad you enjoyed. I have no desire to relive that crap.

“Sometimes I vacuum outside, just so it keeps the neighbors away.” :crazy_face:

{{{{shoe}}}

I’ll be avoiding most 9/11-related things today. I’m still too easily overwhelmed by the memories. Perhaps that makes me a coward…if that’s the case, so be it.

Yesterday morning I woke up shortly before my alarm went off (miracle!), which meant I could take my time feeding and watering the dog, showering, etc., and still log on to work a little early—giving me hopes of maybe ending the day a little early, especially since I had a few “extra” hours. It was beautifully cool and breezy, so I opened the windows and settled into my oversized, overstuffed home office chair while Bailey settled into the dog bed next to to my desk. All was well for about 35 minutes…and then my FiOS completely crapped out. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

After an hour of following Verizon’s online troubleshooting recommendations (via my phone) and resetting both the ONT and my router multiple times, and with neither the will nor the ability to suddenly take the day off, I went to the office. Imagine my dismay when I got back home and discovered that there was still no service. I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon — 40 minutes of which was spent on hold — and they think there’s a problem with my hardware. A tech is coming out tomorrow afternoon, between 1-5pm. I have to leave absolutely no later than 4pm for my vocal workshop, so we’ll see how that goes. The CSR I talked to made a note that I won’t be home after 4pm…how much do you want to bet they show up at 3:45…

Anyway, I’ve now had no home television or internet service for about 27 hours. Last night I watched a TV episode and a movie that I’d previously downloaded to my iPad, but this morning I needed to pay some bills and order some things for Thursday’s trip to NYC so I’ve been using my cell phone as a hotspot. I downloaded an additional TV episode to my iPad (holy cow that took forever!), and might download one more while I make some lunch before I give the hotspot a break. Between the downloaded stuff, my Kindle, and my piano (and connecting to the hotspot again sometime this afternoon), I should be able to entertain myself between now and when it’s time to go out tonight. :wink:

At least having no TV and limited connectivity will help me avoid today’s 9/11 stuff. And things could definitely be much worse. It’s a beautiful day (yay for open windows!), there’s no power outage, etc. And I’ve decided to opt for foolish optimism that the tech might arrive during the early part of tomorrow’s appointment window. :slight_smile:

I commiserate with 9/11 over-saturation. I taught it |does math| about 80 times, and the last year, at the request of students, I worked for weeks on a huge hallway display covering all aspects. (Nobody else was teaching about it but me, kids’ parents couldn’t bear to discuss it, and the kids had friends who also wanted to learn more.) You can’t teach that stuff without immersing yourself in it, and you get to a point where you just can’t. I passed that point several times. I remember families of victims complaining in the months after 9/11 that the news kept showing the damned plane running into the buildings repeatedly; remembering how much harder it is for so many people reminds me it’s not about me, but also says the networks overdo it.

Don’t mind me. I woke up with joint and sinus pain. I’ll be cheerier when I improve, which I have to do because I need to walk to the pharmacy.

Taters, rest up and don’t let looming housework browbeat you. I hope the cold beats a hasty exit.

shoe, you got a lot done recently. You should still be celebrating that. Also, you work hard all week. Can you put “restoreth my soul” on your To Do list? Let swampy be your inspiration. (He is mine!)

quietly, you have a lawn vac? I always wanted one. I used to use the mower as a vacuum.

hippie, glad the reunion went so well.

Erma Bombeck used to write about her neighbor outside waxing the garden hose! :rofl: There’s something seriously wrong with overachieving home owners!

Speaking of which, I just finished playing lumberjack. I dragged a bunch of larger, non-rotted branches out of the woods and used my formerly shiny, new Craftsman electric chainsaw to finish loading the wood rack. I don’t think it’s quite a quarter cord, and a lot of it is smaller, hand-broken branches. As the fall progresses, I’ll venture farther into our woods and gather more downed branches to add to the pile, or I’ll start a second stack in front of the first.

Unless it’s an exceptionally cold winter, I doubt that we’ll burn much. I won’t be watching Roxy, and I don’t plan to take the baby down there till he can handle the stairs with help. I have mental images of falling down the stairs while carrying him. Heck, I have images of falling down the stairs when I haul the laundry. I need one of those stair glide thingies!

FCD just went to nap. I think I’ll grab my book and assume the position. Lumberjacking is hard work!

Oh, jeebus fucknado christ. Let her know her package should be there Wednesday, and got this reply:

“But I’m going to Florida for a week on Tuesday!”

Woman, you dumped this stupid project into my lap un-asked-for. It’s sucked up most of my limited free time, which I have devoted to you, my not-favorite person.

It took longer than you thought. You asked me at a BAD TIME for me. I did the best I could.

I’m done.

Package is sent, there’s no un-mailing that. Get a neighbor to check your mailbox or something, I don’t care.

It’s an Toro electric leaf blower that converts into a lawn vacuum/mulcher. The yard is all rock, so the seed hulls and stuff from the feeder pile up underneath and look really ugly. So once a month or so I go out and vacuum up all the detritus. I’ve stopped messing about with mixed bird seed and now fill the feeder with straight nyjer seed. Which of course makes the pile underneath solid black, which really stands out against the red rocks.

Cats are fed, laundry is going, dishwasher is loaded, litter boxes have been changed. Now I’m going to join the dishwasher.

Happy Saturday!

It was a nice 52 degrees at the park this morning. I was dressed appropriately so I could enjoy it.

I’ve been having a hard time staying awake. I probably should have gone up to bed and got some decent sleep.

I need to load and run the dishwasher, and also do some laundry. Both of which cannot be done at the same time. The dishwasher doesn’t like to share water pressure.

shoe Good on you for doing a good deed for an un-grateful mother. We appreciate you.

The dog woke at the standard 6:30 and said it was tie to go out. So toddle downstairs and open the doggie door, then back to bed. Holy crap, I didn’t wake until 10:30! Guess I was tired. Then out to run errands, check in on a client who had some concerns about a piece-it is fine, then off to Aldi, where I did find the knock off Greenies for Cinnamon.

It’s now a lovely day out, so I think some quality back porch/book time is in order. After I start up the dishwasher.

Somewhat early supper tonight - I made a couple of yummy tuna steaks. Kitchen is now clean and the dishwasher is sloshing away. Chillage shall ensue. Overall, a pretty good day!