I can't believe there's no shooting range in my town

I was at Dick’s Sporting Goods browsing over the rifles and shotguns. I used to shoot .22 rifles at summer camp as a kid and I liked it; I’ve always been a very good shot with BB guns also, so I thought it would be nice to get myself a rifle. They had a lot of them there at affordable prices. “If I bought one of these rifles, is there a place in town where I could go to practice?”

“No. There’s no firing range in town or even in the county. There’s one in Owen County. There used to be one here but the anti-gun people got it shut down.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Even the cops can’t use it anymore.”

“You’re telling me that the cops have to go to a different county to practice shooting?”

“Yup.”

What the fuck. I would love to shoot again but if there’s no firing range in town, what can I do? I have a few friends who have enough land that we could go out and shoot there, but I would still prefer to have a shooting range where I could try multiple weapons, learn tips, and have knowledgeable instructors around. Why must I drive to another county for this? It isn’t fair.

(Note, I don’t know anything about the politics of the “anti-gun people” or if that is actually why the shooting range got closed.)

Suggestion: use anti-gun people for target practice.

Yep. There’s none in mine, either. I have to drive 30 minutes to get to a shooting range. It’s really delayed my plans to become more firearm-proficient. I still go and shoot, but it’s every 3 or 4 months, instead of every month like I’d like.

Yeah that sucks.

Buy some land and start your own?

Buy some land either way, then you can shoot (I assume, depending on your local laws.)

It’s sad, and it happens more and more every day. Join the NRA, we’re not all crazy. :smiley:

There’s a shooting range in every town. It may just look like something else.

Have you actually investigated whether this claim is true? I’m a little skeptical. I’m definitely “anti-gun” but I don’t have a problem with shooting ranges as long as the guns used there are properly regulated, and the range itself is safe. I think most pro-gun-control people are the same way. Even my favorite liberal talk-show host says she enjoys going to shooting ranges. (“I just don’t think I should be able to take that handgun home with me.”)

It may be a “not in my back yard” issue. We were about to get a county Parks & Rec sponsored skeet shooting range here, but neighbors adjoining the rural parcel of land objected.