I can't pay my rent. I'm doomed.

That maybe true, but if you look at how he worded his thread on the dope:

To my naive eye, it seemed the money he wanted was for two purposes: Getting it completed/distributed and to help with the bills. Being naive to the process, but eager to help, I assumed most of the money would go to direct expenses for the first part. However, this thread comes along and it seems all the money was for indirect costs. I have a lot of experience writing grants to fund projects. While that situation is admittedly different, that is where my experience lies and I assumed this would be similar. In my experience, funding is for direct, not indirect costs, unless explicitly stated.

That being said, I have no problem with funding living expenses that way, but my issue is that lack of transparency and the assumption that everyone should know how it goes. Maybe the OP was being naive in not predicting that the folks funding you might have these concerns. It’s a learning experience on both sides. After all, my naive money pays bills as well as more experienced money. I just want to feel good about what I’m donating towards.