"I cut my finger cleaning an onion. What do I do?"

If you want medical advice, or something resembling it, start a fresh thread, preferrably in GQ.

My mother has 8 stitches between her index and middle fingers on her left hand. She was attempting to remove a stuck on slice of pie from a pie plate with a spatula with a serrated edge. Suddenly the spatula jumped, and next thing she knew she was in pain. She looked at the cut, decided it was deep enough, and long enough, she needed to go to a doctor, so I got my keys and shoes and drover her to the Urgent Treatment Center(UTC).

UTC receptionist folk had fit about blood on counter, etc. Got her to a private room quickly. Doctor decided it was bleeding profusely enough that they cleaned it, wrapped it up good and told me to drive her to the ER (and told me which hospital’s ER to go to). They were afraid she’d nicked an artery or a tendon.

Drove on across town. We sat, and sat, and sat in the ER. Left messages galore for Dad on the answering machine and his cell phone. Eventually, he got home, listened to the messages on his cell phone–which he had inexplicably forgotton to take with him to work that day–and called me back.

Finally, 2 hours or so after Mom cut herself, she was stitched up, wrapped up, and sent home, with a prescription for pain, one for antibiotics, and a recommendation of a hand surgeon to call the next day. This doctor said she had too good of movement to have nicked a tendon, and too little blood loss to have nicked an artery.

Hand surgeon checked her out the next day, decided she had good sensation, and good movement, but rewrapped her “just in case” she nicked a ligament. The two fingers on either side of the stitches are wrapped together. Doctor didn’t think ligament damage was likely, but wasn’t about to unstitch her to find out. He’ll take the stitches out this week.

Mom is getting heartily sick of not being able to use her left hand “normally”.

That last post made me woozy. I can picture the blood…

I was in bed one night and my cat stuck his claw in my eye. I went downstairs, asked my husband if I was bleeding, and when he said no, I went back to bed.

The doctors at the ER next day (when I couldn’t open my eyes) was impressed, I think. Though if he was impressed by my stoicism or my stupidity is unclear.

OK, it closed up, but it fucking hurts! Stabbing muscle tissue=bad. Or whatever the hell tissue is in there. I should just start living on takeout food. :mad:

I can’t believe nobody quoted Plath.

I was sent outside to call Dad and update him on what was going on midway through the ER doctor’s unwrapping of the bloody gauze. Apparently I was turning pale. I didn’t realize until later that the timing of the “go call Dad now” was all about making me leave the room.

Incidently, in writing my earlier post, I forgot to mention the funny part.

Mom has mentioned several times how sorry she is that she left Dad’s wireless stereo speaker outside to be stolen (It was not). Dad finds it funny. The back door was unlocked, dishes were on the patio table, so was the speaker, it was obvious that we had left in a hurry, and even if something had been stolen, stuff is a lot more replaceable than my mother’s hand is.

[QUOTE=Diane]
You know when one of you lays on your back with your feet in the air and the other one sits on your feet so you can see how far you can launch them through the air? I was launched really fast and really hard into the coffee table. That was one definition of “dinking off”. Another definition is riding tobogans down the stairs or folding each other up in the sofa sleeper.
/QUOTE]
Holy cow, are we related? :wink:

:cool:

I chopped almost through the top of my thumb about a month ago while chopping leeks (the most dangerous vegetable). I knew I’d done Something Bad the second the knife went into my thumb, but I couldn’t stand to really look at it closely, so I asked Mr. Legend, “Does this need stitches or just a Band-Aid?” He looked at it, but he only saw the front side, so he went upstairs to get me a Band-Aid and some ointment. By the time he got back downstairs, I was shaking and crying, still clutching the thumb in a paper towel. He looked at it again, saw the part where I’d sliced through the nail, and took me to the urgent care center. I’m really, really glad he was home, because there’s no way I’d have been able to get myself there. It sucks when the designated family emergency responder is the one who needs the stitches.

I’ve ordered a food processor/slicer. Enough of this chopping crap.

When I away at college, my parents would call every Friday to talk, share news, etc. One Friday, Mom told me about an adventure she had had earlier in the week.

She was cutting potatoes for the casserole she and my father were having for supper that night, and she cut her finger badly enough to need stitches. So what did my mother, a former teacher and educated woman, do?

She wrapped a paper towel around her finger, finished making supper, and waited until Dad had finished eating before telling him she needed to go to the ER.

:smack:

Wow. My first zombie thread. I’m so proud.

If anyone cares about the OP situation, VunderWife survived, and has resorted to using specialty housewares (slicers and choppers) instead of old fashioned knives.

Oh, and we’ve moved since then, so I’m now an hour from home while at the office, and it will take even longer for me to get her to an ER than before. Having her drive herself isn’t so heartless.

Carry on.

I 'unno. Cry about it?

A week or so ago on a Friday, my SO dropped a 50lb pump on his lower leg at work. It hurt, of course, but he kept working. Nothing but a flesh wound and all. It hurt over the weekend, but no obvious bruising, just some slight swelling and an area that was hard to the touch. He worked overtime (he’s a landscaper and tree guy- so it’s physical work) Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday morning, he was really hurting and there was a goose egg on the front of his shin. It was Time To Go To The ER.

As I was driving him, he decided he had skurvy. He asked for a parrot. The triage nurse, with whom we shared both his occupation and our diagnosis, told him he was lucky - at least he’d be able to pick out his own wooden leg. I told him to stay away from pine - no soft wood for MY man…

So we’re joking about how he’s probably so MANLY that he just worked three days on a broken leg. He returned from from x-ray. He’d just worked three days on a broken leg. The small bone, non-weightbearing, was broken clean through, but still lined up perfectly. The doctor heated up a couple of strips of fiberglass, molded them to each side of his calf and wrapped it up in ace bandages. He went back to work the next day. With a broken leg.

He’s still not getting a parrot.

Exactly how I broke my collar bone when I was 8! Except it was my sister (though a cousin was there also), we called it a “Super Ride”.

The fastest way to get into a room is bleed or puke all over something.

This is so the staff can promptly ignore you for a couple of hours.

At work about a year and a half ago, by way of a premature geriatric moment, I ended up puncturing the index finger of my right hand with a box cutter, right through the fleshy part between the last joint and my palm. The tip just poked out the other side. Definitely not good. It was rather fortunate, then, that we happened at that moment to be serving a troupe of firefighters – their engine was in our back parking lot. On-the-spot first aid!

That’s rule #3 and it goes, “All bleeding stops, eventually”.It’s like rule #4 “All fevers return to normal, on their way to room temperature.”
Rule # 1 is “People, even good people, die.” #2 is “Medical personnel can’t change rule #1
<End of Hijack>