I don't know what I want do to with my life

So after talking to a few students from Naval Engineering I decided that this is not what I want anymore.I’m trying to find something that I like but I just don’t know what that is.I like doing circuits that are not complex which means that I’m not at a electronic engineer level.I’m trying to find a trade job but I have no idea which trade will be suited for me because I like fixing simple things and I really don’t know how an electrical equipment works.I also like fixing pipes but I don’t like carrying boilers or anything that is above 20kg.What are your advices?
I’m an introverted person and I don’t like sleeping or staying with peoples.

In the 9th grade I thought that Electrical Engineering is easier than Electronical Engineering.Now I don’t know what to think anymore.I memorized most of the circuits but after a while I couldn’t memorize complex circuits with transformers,coils,transistors,etc.

Advices,opinions,replies?

Presuming you want a job, you’re going to have to convince somebody to pay you to do something. That ‘something’ might be difficult or hard, and it very likely won’t be fun, because otherwise why would they have to to give you money to do it?

That said, if your chosen career is beyond your capability, that’s different - you have to be able to do the job in order to get paid for it. As to what jobs would suit your abilities, I can’t say.

You pretty much just gave us a list of things you’re saying you can’t do. What jobs do you feel you are qualified for? Or what job skills do you feel confident you can learn?

People who use introversion as an excuse not to grow and do challenging things typically end up with boring, sad pathetic lives. No likes being pushed out of the comfort zone, but successful folks know that the comfort zone is a prison. You’re at the stage of your life when you need to embrace all kinds of experiences–even the scary ones. Maybe especially the scary ones.

Hey now, you don’t have to get a roommate to avoid being sad and pathetic. It’s entirely possible to be a decent person without having to sleep or stay with peoples.

I myself haven’t stayed with peoples in over a decade and I’m perfectly cool with it. I mean yes, I am boring and sad and pathetic, but for reasons entirely distinct from my lack of roommates.

I don’t have roommates either. I don’t like peoples either. But there’s a difference between having an opinion about an experience you’ve actually had and forming an opinion based solely on imagination and hearsay, which it seems the OP is doing.

I have lived with peoples and it wasn’t the end of the world. I have done lots of things I didn’t want to do, but I’m still glad I did them.

And I haven’t had roommates and don’t feel like I need to stick my hand into a fire to learn that being burned hurts.

All this is beside the point, though - it’s not encouraging that our lovely OP thought it was important to point out that he dislikes the idea of roommates, but I’m not sure it’s a death sentence either. I’m getting the impression of a college-level person who’s stumbling along without direction and is unsure of a career - and has noticed that people around him deal with low income by getting roommates. He doesn’t like that idea, apparently.

The comment on his “introverted” nature might also have been a way to say he doesn’t want to work in sales or the like, though the immediate specification to rooming with people confuses me a bit on that point.

Dude, I didn’t say anything about not having roommates being a death sentence. I said using introversion as an excuse not to do challenging things is a marker of someone headed for a sad and pathetic life. And it is. Sorry if this rubs you the wrong way, but there’s no reason for you to take offense to this unless you use introversion as an excuse not to do challenging things.

I’m the most introverted person I know. But I hope someone would have slapped me silly if 18-year-old me had tried to pigeonhole myself by playing the “I am an intwovert who doesn’t like peoples!” card. There aren’t very many entry level jobs or opportunities out there for someone with few skills or interests that doesn’t involve being around people for extended periods of time. So instead of indulging this attitude, the OP needs to resist it. They don’t need to be an extrovert, but they do need to be more flexible and try to get over their hang-ups. People who don’t know what they want to do with themselves can’t afford to do otherwise.

I thought the comment about introversion and not wanting to be around a lot of people was to pre-empt anyone suggesting the military.

Has the OP applied to any colleges yet? It sounds to me like some exploratory classes at a technical school wouldn’t hurt.

Working on computers, for example, is not as difficult as it sounds. Laptops are kind of hard, because everything is crammed into a small space, but once someone teaches you what to do, how to use a multmeter, how to solder, how to read a wiring diagram, etc., it’s not as daunting as you might think if you’ve just opened up a laptop and looked.

My son cracked the screen on his first tablet (we buy Otter Boxes now), but I replaced the screen for the $50 the screen cost, after watching a YouTube video, because I know how circuits work from 1) having been a power generator a million years ago in the Army and 2) from taking a couple of computer classes at a technical school, just for my own edification. Otherwise, it would have cost a couple of hundred dollars on top of the cost of the screen to pay someone to replace it, and the thing cost about $400 to begin with.

All the things the OP says he (or she) can’t do are things that could be learned pretty easily, I think, given what he (let’s just go with that) already says he can do.

Seriously, OP, you can go somewhere to learn something, or you can get a minimum wage job being a janitor, or working at a McDonald’s somewhere.

In my opinion an introvert (a true introvert) is simply a person who finds that extended interaction with other people, even people they like, exhausts their fortitude/energy. (This is in opposition to extroverts, who quite literally thrive on interaction with others - the freaks.) Speaking as an extreme introvert, I agree that you can’t declare “I shall never speak to another person again!” and then expect to get anywhere. But you can choose career paths that will minimize the need for you to interact with hordes of strangers. I’m a computer programmer myself; that’s worked out well (I do have coworkers, but I get hours at a time without interruption).

Which is not to say that the OP should be a computer programmer. That requires a certain type of mind to do it well. (No harm in them trying it out, though.) But there are certainly careers that are more introvert-friendly than others.

This is of course presuming that they’re actually an introvert, and not just saying that they don’t want to be in the army (which would indeed explain that remark of theirs quite well.)

I have a job that doesn’t put too much stress on me socially either. But along my journey to get here, I had to endure many situations where I couldn’t hole up in a special snowflake cocoon. Like when I had to deal with angry customers while earning money during college or when I had to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with loud, fratboy-ish coworkers as we did field work. If I hadn’t successfully navigated these non-introvert experiences, I don’t think I’d have very many interesting stories to tell. And I think I’d be even more socially awkward than I already am.

Some people can finesse a hermit’s existence. They are smart and creative enough to be able to support themselves without being a part of a team. But there are more niches out there for the team player than the lone wolf. If the OP doesn’t know what he wants to do, he’d be better off learning how to work with other people first, then splintering off to do his own thing.

Of course. There’s nothing wrong with being an introvert. But there is something wrong with closing one’s eyes to opportunities just because they involve too many people and OMG scary! If the OP doesn’t have this attitude, great.

The internet is full of self-described introverts who also happen to have a shitload of depression and anxiety. A lot of them are teenagers and 20-somethings who don’t know who they are independent of mental illness. Whenever I have a depressive spell, I am quick to hide behind “I’m introverted!” shield because it doesn’t feel as shameful as admitting I’m in a bad mood. The OP may very well be introverted, but I think being more agnostic about it might bring with it some benefits.

Sounds like you should be an electrician. I just paid an electrician over $400 for three hours work fixing little things in my house. He didn’t have to lift anything heavier than a screwdriver. He wasn’t very gregarious or anything, just quietly fixed things.

I don’t know how one goes about becoming an electrician, but I imagine there are paid apprenticeship programs somewhere.

Why are more than one poster saying “peoples”? People is already plural, and doesn’t need the s on the end. :confused:

Probably because that’s the word the OP used in his first post.

I agree with monstro. It’s important to push the envelope a little bit, or you may wind up accepting your disinclinations to the point of them becoming disabilities.

I used to have a phobia of talking to people on the phone. Whenever I had to make a call, I would get very anxious and short of breath, try to write down a script to follow, and if possible, I’d go into a quiet room and shut the door to make the call.

Then I was offered a job in which I would have to answer the phone. I needed the money, so I got a grip on myself and started to use the telephone (just like other peoples)! Now it’s not a problem.

I have a similar story about learning to drive. I was scared, and for a long time I accepted it as a thing I could not do. Of course, I had the power all along! clicks heels

Please don’t let your comfort zone limit your life.

A union trade school is the best bet for any of the trades. No reputable construction company will hire you without proof of completion.

My suggestion would be that you should confront your insecurities in a non-work setting. If you have trouble talking with strangers, for example, you should seek out situations where you talk with strangers in a social setting. Learn to deal with it and then you can consider jobs that involve talking with strangers.

I feel that if you accept a job which requires you to face an insecurity, you’re going to have the extra pressure of employment added to the existing pressure of the insecurity.

I’m glad to hear it worked out for you though.

I think it depends on the nature of the insecurity, its severity, and the work environment. A social phobic probably shouldn’t get a job in customer service. But a job in a small office might work. Then again, social phobia is a weird thing. I have heard of folks who do incredibly well in performative jobs–like teaching–and only struggle when it comes to social stuff. So a social phobic who thinks they should wait until they conquer their problems before they accept a job might be limiting themselves.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk