I don't like Guinness.

First of all, let me sprinkle you with Pesach wine in the hopes of exorcising the demons that evidently possess you and cause you to make such remarks :slight_smile:

Now, Guinness, regard of the variety, place of brewing, means of distribution, etc., actually looks and tastes like something (not always the same thing, granted). Loutish American frat rats slam large quantities of watery, tasteless “beer”, apparently in the hopes of getting drunk enough to have sex with skanky American sorority hos without having to taste either. None of them appear able or willing to toss a shot of Everclear into a liter of club soda, which would give them the effects that they want without the shelves of liquor stores, supermarkets, and/or pharmacies (depending on your place of residence) being defiled by Budmilloors products that serve no purpose but to avoid setting up a litter box.

And Neurotik: that description does not tally with the Extra Stout, which has a head so thick that it will support a bottlecap (and possibly an obese mouse, although I won’t waste good Guinness in an attempt to find out). There must be (or have been) a third variety, which I don’t recall seeing around these parts (not that I’d have gone looking for it).

Guinness. It’s what’s for breakfast!

Guinness was definitely an acquired taste for me. I started drinking it at the annual Irish festival.

Perhaps you could start out by drinking Black and Tans or Half and Halfs. (Half Guinness and half Bass or Harp, respectively.)

It’s Good For You, at any rate.
– Ukulele “For Strength” Ike

Now, a black and tan, I can get behind. As long as it’s not so stout, I guess. Myself, I like ales and lagers. Belgian-style is absolutely my favorite.

My preferred beer is Budweiser. Many beer bigots will tell you I have no taste in beer. Fine. The quality is consistent, and being American, I suspect I am part of a large class.

Generally, I don’t care for dark beer.

However, a year or two back I took a business trip to Dublin. In the spirit of “When in Rome…”, I decided to drink Guinness. Awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed every ounce I drank (which would be measured in liters, for the four days I was there).

Coming back to the states, I haven’t been able to find anything to approach Guinness from a Dublin pub. Draught Guinness in the bars is the closest, but it just doesn’t quite measure up. Guinness from the special cans ain’t all bad, but it also just doesn’t do it. Guinness from the bottle just sucks.

So, on ocassion, I’ll drink Guinness in a bar. But I can’t wait for the opportunity to go back to Ireland.

I guess beer tastes vary just as much as anything else!

And, if I’m not completely high, this thread DID start in IMHO. Why on earth is it in the pit?

Now, someone explain to me the Widget? I can’t see how having a piece of plastic in the bottle/can would improve the flavor! What does it do?

It’s beer that tastes like coffee. What’s not to love?

The widget releases gas into it, which then builds a proper head on it. Open the chilled can and immediately pour it headlong into a proper pint class, then let it sit until the head is built.

It’s nectar. It’s ambrosia. It’s espresso beer.

Does the widget contain gas or something? How does it work?

From the Guinness site:

I like Guinness, and it was an acquired taste, but I’m glad I acquired it. :smiley: Still I’m curious. What are these other stouts that taste even more complex than Guinness?

You did put it in IMHO.
That’ll teach you to dis my Guinness.:smiley:

I concur. If Guiness is served cold like most American brews, all you can taste is the bitter. However, like most British and Irish beers, Guinness is meant to sipped at room temperature. That way you can taste all the different aspects of its flavor–not just the bitter but the sour and even a little sweetness.

Also, as it’s been already stated, Guinness is not a chug-a-lug beer. You nurse it over a longer period of time.

Still, I can understand why you don’t like Guinness. It’s taste is not for everybody. I once ordered one when I was out with my ex-boss and, after taking a little sip of it, he looked at me like I just ordered a bottle of soy sauce.

Hmm, Rogue Shakespeare comes to mind, and there’s some wonderful Canadian stuff I’ve had only once (St. Ambroise, or some such).

I’m not much of a beer drinker except for Heineken, Amstel Light or Magic Hat, but an occasional Guinness is a nice treat. The first time I tried it, my roommate told me that drinking a Guinness is like having a meal. Little did I realize how true that was. It took me quite awhile to down that first draught. And I wasn’t all that thrilled with it. But I had another, which went down a bit more smoothly. Definitely an acquired taste and a once-in-awhile kind of drink, but well worth it.

Ava

In our household, our current favorite is Old Rasputin from the North Coast Brewing Co. If you want to feel like an indestructible, flagellant monk, this is your beer…

Some Guinness advice from mrs beagledave. I’ve been a long time lover of a pint of the plain…but it took her some getting used to. There was a bar in Chicago that used to add a touch of black currant syrup to the pint if you asked…kind of a way to “ease in” to the experience. (a better way than Black & Tans IMHO).

For God’s sake, if you order in a bar…make sure the bartender pours it properly. If he/she pours it straight to the top, sneer at him/her and send it back.

I don’t know stouts from ales from lagers but I do like dark beer.

Once or twice a week after work I’ll have one bottle of beer, at home, as a treat, and Bud just doesn’t qualify as a treat.

My favorite is Fuller’s London Porter. The mocha flavor is unbelievable.

Pete’s Wicked Ale is good too – people who say they don’t like dark beer like Pete’s.

You can be my friend.

Guinness is a cathartic experience, but for some people it simply tastes like shit, plain and simple. For me, the light beers were an acquired taste, and I still can’t stomach a Busch Light without gag reflexing. I hate overly carbonated beers, and a good Guinness should be fairly flat. As the other posters have mentioned, the stuff from the bottle is crap. It’s nothing like real Guinness. Get the canned stuff if you can’t find a good Irish pub who pours a proper pint. (And a proper pint of Guinness takes about a minute and a half or two to pour.)

And if you still don’t like it, then stouts aren’t for you. Try a nice lambic or Belgian ale or something. :slight_smile: