I found a cool thing at work

Put it back!

Don’t you hate it when that happens… Here’s my OP:

We moved offices at work this week, and I found a really cool things in the new offices - the guys who left didn’t clean up and take their rubbish with them. I didn’t know what it was at the time, but it turns out that it’s a strowger switch - a really old one.

I’ve put pics of it at http://www.cromie.net/robin if anyone’s interested.

We also found the 1975 annual report from the (Australian) Post Master Generals office - learning that there were 6019 modems in Australia at that time, of which 2011 were 4800BPS or lower, they owned 4 computers (honeywells) and 7580 typewriters and 96 punched card machines. After cyclone Tracey, all but 5 parcels were delievered in Darwin (but some were a bit wet).

We also found an old bakelite PBX - a manual one - if I have time, I’ll put a photo of that up on the page I mentioned above.

It’s all very cool. Now I have to figure out what to do with it all…

Oh, right. See, I was going to say that if it’s a strowger switch, it must be an old one, because the modern ones look really different.

Can I also guess that your favourite muppet is Robin (nephew to Kermit), who likes to sit halfway up the stairs?

You could establish robinc308’s museum of telephone technology. :slight_smile:

Are you sure that’s what it is? It looks like a 1920s Style Death Ray to me. :smiley:

I don’t think that will ever get old.

sperfer’s right, it does look like a 1920’s style death ray!

Yep, deadset on. I’m actually an all round muppet fan, but when you have a muppet that shares your name, he’s got to be the fav.

I could. We also found a 1980s brick motorolla mobile phone (I could be the coolest person from the 80s with it), so I could put that in there too. But somehow, I think I’ll need more than a PBX, switch and old mobile for my museum.

A very sad thing happened - the guy who left it behind came looking for his stuff. Unfortunately for him, most of it had been boxed up and thrown away. He was pleased to get his switch back though.

Now I just have the phone/PBX: http://www.cromie.net/robin/images/phone.jpg

He didn’t want to take it with him apparently. He was more upset about his nametag being gone.

With the tiny screen, and dozens of function buttons!? My dad had one of those! I love it, and it’s been utterly fantastic for yuppie dinner parties.

Yep, those are the ones - the flip ones, it measures about 7 cm wide, by about 20 cm long and about 5cm thick. But one of the guys at work locked it, and now we can’t unlock it because no one knows the code.