I gave my credit card to my "best friend"

I’m willing to bet this woman has dozens of “best friends” that she “borrows” money from.

I’ll just go ahead an tell you right now, straight up: she’s not going to fuck you, unless you win the lottery or something.
ETA: granted, she’s already fucked you, but not in the way you were hoping for.

I grow weary of this brand of male lamenting. If you wooed your woman with diamonds or cars, stop acting surprised to learn ‘She’s all about money!’ She’s not much of an apex predator if you’re going so willingly to the slaughter, in my opinion.

Valid point about $60 being a bargain for this particular life lesson, though.

Bewitch hunt! NO CONCLUSION! Sad!

(No, seriously, this is really sad.)

Give it some time.

OP, you’re not the first guy to be swindled by a pretty girl and you won’t be the last. You want to be nice, you want her to like you, but she’s poison.

Next time she tries to hit you up, give her the wall of silence. No matter what kind of sob story she gives you, walk away. There’s plenty other fish in the sea and you don’t need that soul-sucking harpy making you depressed. Consider this an $80 life lesson learned and move on.

Now, now. The lion, great white, and grizzily bear are not above dining on the carrion. Even the best will happily take the easy pickings. Besides, she ain’t no apex predator if she’s limiting herself to $20 & $60 scams, she’s more of a parasitic nymph predator at this point. Once she’s gorged herself on pocket money, however, she will move on to more physical investments which cost her nothing but command a greater portion of her victims’ minds.

“If you wooed your woman with diamonds or cars, stop acting surprised to learn ‘She’s all about money!’”
Personally I’ve always been a champion of the “I ain’t got shit” school of woo. Filters out the overly ambitious (plus it gets you a few free meals) during the courting process. :smiley:

How did she actually get the money? Was this a credit card and she did a cash advance? Or a debit card and she pulled it from your bank account?

A bit of practical advice if you have a genuine case of helping out a friend in an emergency rather than (as appears to be the case here) getting played for a sucker: see if your credit card issuer has a setup for generating a separate CC number with a duration and credit limit you can set. I used that arrangement once for someone I trust (to be honest and pay me back, which she’s been doing) but don’t entirely trust (to not get scatterbrained and let somebody else get hold of the card number).

He probably meant him and his financial planner.

I second this.
:slight_smile:

Yuck yuck.

Shakespeare said something about this…

“Financial planner”, of course, being she who subsidizes all his living expenses.

If this is your financial situation, then you should not be even lending out $5. It’s clear you are in a weak financial situation and need the money yourself. You are at risk of being one of those people where a minor expense ends up leaving them with a huge hole they can’t get out of. For example, if that $60 means you can’t pay your bills, they add on fees and penalties. Your credit report takes a hit. Costs for insurance go up. You get evicted for not paying rent. etc.

If she needs medication for an urgent health condition, tell her to go to the clinic. If she needs money urgently for bills, tell her to pawn some of her stuff. Don’t offer to help out in any way, financially or otherwise. If you say you’ll help out in another way (like watching her cat), she’ll find a way to take advantage of your kindness no matter how it’s offered.

I am just going to ignore her and learn my life lesson. I am just grateful she didn’t take out every dime I had.

It was a debt card with my pin.

This situation reminds me of a defunct website that collected Live Journal threads, called LJ Drama. It was my guilty pleasure.

They had a thread that eventually went viral, called “Greg and Naomi.” Greg had a huge crush on Naomi, which she didn’t reciprocate. He lived in Philadelphia, she in Toronto. In a LJ post, she lamented she wasn’t able to take her cat with her when she moved to Toronto from Seattle. So, valiant knight Greg volunteered to drive to Seattle to retrieve her cat for her.

He detailed how he made the 2,000 mile trip, got the cat from her former housemates, and kept it in a carrier all the way to Toronto, another 2K+ mile journey. Cat was not happy. When Greg got to Toronto, she met him at the lobby, took the cat, and said she was going to give it a bath. Greg stayed in the lobby until he realized she wasn’t coming back.

This drama attracted its fair share of trolls, and one of them found a picture of Naomi and put her next to a picture of Gollum and remarked on the resemblance. Others asked Greg how he could stand being treated like dirt, and he replied “because I love her.” Naomi made some snarky comments in the thread to the haters, but said nothing on his behalf.

I remember looking Greg up a couple years later, and he had set up a private law practice, presumably to help out other damsels in distress.

Don’t be a Greg.

I didn’t read the whole thread. Here is some advice from someone old enough to be your grandmother:

If a friend needs money and you feel inclined to help them, for WHATEVER reason, just give them whatever amount you can afford to lose and call it a day. Don’t “loan” people money. If they want to repay the gift of cash later, fine and dandy. A “loan” will always be hanging in the air between you.

At your age I didn’t have one dime of savings to my name, but now I’m financially okay. Not wealthy, not well-off, but okay. Recently a friend of mine (my age) was in a very bad spot after some surgeries and just a bunch of shit that all fell on her at once. She coudln’t pay her rent. She didn’t have any food in the house. I gave her $2,500, which is not nothing to me, but it isn’t an amount of money that will affect whether I have food or have to sleep in my car. She was immensely grateful and I may or may not ever see the money again, and that’s fine. I see her a lot, but the amount isn’t the elephant in the room with us. Her financial situation is still precarious. She’s getting ready to move into a retirement community and things may ease up, but I really don’t care if she ever pays back the money. In my mind it was a gift.

The lesson: don’t loan friends (or anyone) money. Just give it to them and be done. If you truly feel you cannot permanently part with the money, then say you just can’t do it and you’re sorry–you’d help if you could. And then be done with that.

I learned it for a six pack and a ride across town.

Although I did expect that exact result. I was bored, and wanted to see if she really was going to blow me off. It went exactly as expected.

And OP, can you lend me a hundred or so? Cool! You’re my best friend!

Hey!

Not you— you’re one of the good ones.