I had bariatric surgery yesterday!!!

I had my sleeve in November, 2009. I lost the weight easily and have not experienced hunger.

Around the 2.5 year mark I rediscovered my love for carbs, and found that white carbs go down easily and still taste great. Since then I’ve plumped up about 15 pounds, and it’s a struggle trying to get those off again.

The key is to develop a long term eating plan of protein first, veggies second, and fruit third. Drink lots of water and liquids. I try to follow my eating plan around 90% of the time, and occasionally indulge in a fun food.

Prior to the sleeve I had diabetes, high blood pressure, plantar fasciitis and was heading toward a stroke or heart attack. After the weight came off, I went off all diabetes and high blood pressure meds, and feel better than I have in years.

I would do it all over again tomorrow, except for the rediscovering carbs part.

yep, those simple carbs are evil, evil I say…

It’s not so much that you don’t feel hunger as that it feels different. Yes, as they said, the parts of you that you’re used to hunger-wise aren’t there anymore. But you’ll be able to learn when you’re empty. Hell, for that matter I got headaches when my blood sugar was low until I learned to deal with it (it still happens!).

As for defeating the surgery and regaining it’s not a matter of food intake and such but rather habits. If you revert to eating ice cream and soda pop all the time yes, even with surgery you can gain weight. 20 small portions of ice cream is just as bad as 1 big one, after all. The calories will be the same.

But if you use this time to build better eating habits (because you’re pushed that way by your new plumbing) you can win this thing. Learn to enjoy ice water, I have. And realize that you no longer need to binge at every meal. My breakfast is small and so is lunch. Then a meal with the family for dinner, though even that is smaller than it every was before.

So use the time to alter you habits. That’s the key to it.

As for the focusing on proteins and such? That’s useful but don’t let it dominate your life. After a while you’ll fall into eating what appeals and keeping up with your vitamins. That’ll get you there.

the experience of hunger is different for different people. most of us experience much less, some not at all.

I was atypical in that real hunger came back very early BUT it was then satisfied very easily. I remember having one sip of broth, very early out, and then feeling FULL.

although this site Obesity Help is not nearly as good as it was a few years ago (sadly!) and WARNING: you can find lots of wrong/bad info, just like any other forum - it would be worth joining just for this post that everyone with a sleeve/VSG should read. remember - it is not like Gastric Bypass with a pouch, you do not have a pouch you have a stomach.

VSG & pyloric valve

I’ve been a carboholic for quite some time. I will be focusing on filling myself with “good” food so that I don’t crave the carbs.

Just in the last two days, hunger has been less so I guess I just need to be patient with my body and learn to pay attention.

I like water and have been interjecting some sugar-free flavored waters for variety. I’m still only drinking about 40 oz but have been increasing it daily.

It just dawned on my that I ate a 6 oz serving of yogurt for breakfast…my sleeve is probably closer to 4 oz. Gah. I think I’m beginning to get neurotic.

ETA: The pyloric valve post is very interesting and helpful to understand the mechanics of it. Thanks!

It’s been awhile since folks have posted in this thread. I’m considering weight loss surgery… initially I was looking at the band because several of my friends had gotten it, but it seems to have a pretty high risk of failing and needing to be removed. So now I’m looking at the gastric sleeve. I’m trying to look at what will work best over the long term. How have you folks who’ve had this (or other) surgery held up?