I Hate It Here [God Bless the Oklahoma Legislature]

Filthy, disgusting money and the possibility of having a retirement that doesn’t involve eating pet food.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. “I never thought I’d say this, but Texas is a progressive and cosmopolitan place.”

Let me know when you find one. I think we should merge with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. That would give everybody a nice range of places to live.

Thanks, Smeghead, for making my morning coffee exit my head forcefully through my nostrils. As soon as I saw the post with “faggy” I thought, “Well, hell, that shouldn’t make a difference. Everyone knows “faggy” doesn’t mean anything. Unless you’re a poodle.”

Head north. We Iowans will take you and are slightly less crazy than Texans. Act now and get a gay marriage (may be a limited time offer)!

That gonzomax poodle thread is one fucked up funny tar pit, thanks for pointing it out.

Just to clear something up, I did not mean to imply that I’m gay. I do support full secular marriage contract rights for gay folks, though. ‘He talks faggy’ is a gag from Idiocracy. I was merely joking that I can communicate above a second grade level, unlike my fellow citizens.

Unless, of course, it’s true what Billy’s uncle’s pastor said about the America-hating activist judges in Iowa forcing straight people into gay marriages. You’re trying to lure me up there for ‘recruitment’ aren’t you?

Y’know, if you’ve said it before, you should probably start saying: “I didn’t used to think I’d say this, but [etc.].”

Excellent point, you’ll get an editor credit as well. Residuals check are bimonthly, etc.

WTH?

I read that as Furious_Marmot speaking in Oklahoman tongue…

Well, he should put it right back, God knows where its been!

Thing is, though, the dribbling idiocy of the Oklahoma legislature is the most obvious evidence that it is, in fact, a representative body.

Yes. For further enlightenment, check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2009/04/090430_obama_ok_schriver_nh_sl.shtml

BBC sent a guy to Oklahoma to gauge public opinion of the first 100 days of Obama’s term. The first half is pretty standard right-wing stuff. Then he talks with some nice older ladies and the real undercurrents of Okie politics come out. If you can’t stream audio, there’s a transcript of just a few of the choicer bits here http://www.examiner.com/x-1082-Philadelphia-News-Examiner~y2009m4d30-Inspired-by-Obamas-100th-day-BBC-previews-the-coming-Race-Wars but the full recording is priceless and well worth 5 minutes.

Bear in mind that one can hear these opinions, and far more strongly-worded ones, in most offices, stores, and places of worship in Oklahoma City. The difference is that city folks generally know enough not to talk like that in front of a reporter.

Politics here is all about identity and a false sense of persecution. The majority of the electorate is all for getting themselves a bigger handout, while paying lip service to concepts of personal liberty, self-reliance and small government that they clearly don’t understand. Not that this is necessarily different from many other places, but the greed and tribalism is out in the open to a degree I have never seen in other places, much less big cities.

Exactly.