I HATE New Years, HATE HATE HATE it (whiny)

I agree that NYE is a crappy holiday. Frivolity is all good, but forced frivolity is lame. I greet it with the same amount of enthusiasm that I give those announcers whose job it is to work an unimpressed crowd into a frenzy of excitement.

“Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Cedric the Magician. I CAN’T HEAR YOU! LET’S HEAR IT FOR CEDRIC THE MAGICIAN!!!”
:: clap

clap

clap:: :rolleyes:

Alright, I have two questions.

1)Since when has it been customary to kiss someone on NYE, and why wasn’t I informed?
2)WHY HASN’T ANYONE BEEN KISSING ME ALL THESE YEARS?

I spent NYE with a bunch of friends, and no one got kissed all night, despite there being two couples there. I doubt any of them have heard of the custom either. It was a good night though, sleeping on the hope chest aside–would be comfy if it wasn’t so short.

Dammit, now I feel like I’ve been missing out on something. Thanks for reminding me that I’m single as well, buddy.

I was tending bar when the clock struck midnight, so the only people paying any attention to me at all we’re 2 guys waiting for beers and one girl waiting for her change. About 1 minute later, after the toasting and hollering and kissing was (for the most part) done, and the band had started playing again, everyone went back to normal and I was incredibly busy for the next 15 minutes or so. I was supposed to have a second bartender working with me, but I let her go so she could do the countdown/midnight kiss with her BF. It’s like that every year, and while I’d rather be partying, I’ve gotten used to it. I work all the “party” holidays, at least in part because I’m the only single one on staff. It is a very public reminder that I’m the single one, a reminder I don’t like but can’t do much about. The up-shot is I get to make the $$.

But this year a kinda cool thing happened. Around 12:30 or so there was a lull at the bar. Everybody was taken care of so I was down at the end of the bar where there’s an opening for the BTs to walk through to the rest of the room. We call it The Kitchen, because that’s where all the cool kids like to loiter–the place where they are most in the way. I was down there picking up empty bottles and glasses to look busy, but really I was taking a Mental Health Moment, ignoring the bar and trying to get a few drags of a smoke. The band was on break, and out of the blue the guitar player walks up and throws his arm around my shoulder. He’s quite a bit taller than I, so I looked up to see what he wanted, assuming he needed another beer. When I looked up he said “Happy New Year, Sami” and kissed me. :eek: I really, really didn’t see that one coming, but it was pretty nice. A completely innocent kiss, just a peck, half an hour late, from a guy who’s not much more than a passing acquaintance, but it made my night a little better.

That was an improvement over the last few years, so maybe next year I’ll get the real thing.

For the first time in my life, I had someone to kiss.

We had broken up two and a half minutes before the ball drop, but decided not to make any waves until later.

I am very glad you started this thread. I’m in college and on Christmas break now, but I went to a New Years’ party on campus hosted by my engineering fraternity buddy. OK, so this attractive girl that I’ve been friends with for a couple of months also shows up. About two minutes before midnight, we’re all standing there, watching the countdown, and she comes over and grabs my hand and we watch it together. 15 seconds before midnight, she lets go of my hand and disappears into the basement. :confused:

The next day I talk to her and we B.S. and I say “Yeah I’m glad you had fun the rest of the night, and I hope that whatever was in the basement was more fun and interesting than watching the last 15 seconds of the countdown with all of us.” Supposedly, she “doesn’t remember what happened” and was drunk and went to the basement for beer pong and wasn’t paying attention to the time, yada yada yada.

Oh well, at least I got to kiss the beer can that I was holding. It’ll never wander off from me :frowning: .

Oh yeah, and since this is the pit…FUCK SHIT BITCH ASS

Well actually I’m a budDETTE, but about the “when did this become a thing”, I’m not sure. Maybe it’s just a thing from the movies and here in old anchortown, but at midnight, when you’re at a party, everyone who is with that special someone (and to those jokingly suggesting going to a bar, it’s not the getting kissed, it’s the getting kissed by Mr. Right), always turns to them at the stroke of midnight and gives them that OH SO loving romantic “here’s to another great year with you, my beloved, blah blah lotsof othe rmushy stuff” kindof look, and then they share that midnight kiss.

It happens a lot in the movies too, but like I said, I see it IRL at parties in my home town quite frequently.

My watch is always set to the accurate time. It is normally within +/- 10secs. I was out with a bunch of other people who also keep accurate time. The stupid fools at the club start their 10 second countdown at 11:56pm. My friends and I are looking at each other going “WTF? it’s 4 minutes early!”.

Ah, I see the problem. You live in Alaska. I live there off and on every few years (own a cabin and some land, only see it once every few years) and none of the major cities appear to be dating scenes to me.

On the plus side, you could have spent New Year’s Eve waist-deep in filthy water, hopelessly searching for the rotting bodies of what used to be your family. Enough with the pity party: spare it for those who really have something to mourn for. I spent New Year’s Eve at home with my wife and son - on a run to buy bubbles for the New Year, I was stricken by conscience at the supermarket checkout and dropped a hundred bucks into the Red Cross box.

Ha, and yet droves of girls are still under the mistaken impression that our ratio is (as it used to be way back in the 70s), 10 to 1. But how right you are, we Alaskan girls have a saying:

“The odds are good, but the goods are VERY odd”. :smiley:

As to:

I am completely aware that there are those worse off in worse ways. But, I find it interesting that you pit me for pitting something which I STATED was whiny, and then follow it up by saying how you went to get champagne for your WIFE. Making my point of how there are a lot of people who ARE with that someone special on NYE.

There are however, several pit threads open regarding the horrors of the tsunami and related subjects. You have MET the pit haven’t you? It’s where people go to rant about specific subjects.

That there are worse things in the world is really a cop out, it doesn’t make the person suffering least automatically better by the mere existance of worse things out there. In this case, I’m not talking of my pit, but of anyone trying to “make someone feel better” by saying something as you did. Well yeah, but at least you aren’t X (where X is some horrendous disaster). Um Duh, of COURSE not, no one is saying so. Sheesh, talk about ignorance.

Interesting, in the bar I was at, we all kissed our SO’s if we had them, then kissed everyone else. Boys and girls, everyone smoochin’ at midnight. Good times. I might have smooched ten people.

Yeah, get some perspective!

CanvasShoes,

Next year, solve this problem by drinking more. If you get drunk enough, you either A) won’t care or B) will manage to find something to kiss.

I’ll join the pre-emptive pitting of Valentine’s day though. What a joke of a holiday. For all those who are depressed and melancholy when single on Feb. 14, you have my sympathy.

Hey, jinwicked’s back.