I Hate Onions!

Did somebody say “onion”?

Mmmmm… I love onions! Garlic, too. Hey, wait a minute, maybe that’s why I can’t seem to get laid…

God is dead. -Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead. -God
Neitzsche is God. -Dead

I adore onions, raw, cooked, you name it. Ditto w/ garlic and hot peppers.
My favorites: a slice of Vidalia on sandwiches, paperthin slices of red onions on homegrown tomatoes and really good onion rings w/ light batter.
Oh, and dark, rich onion soup. Carmelize those puppies until they’re sweet, pop in a little thyme, and a good crispy crouton to float on top w/ a lot of melted cheese.
Not to mention leeks and shallots…
Yum! Can’t imagine cooking or eating w/o them.

BTW, you can cut down the sting of raw onions some if you soak them in water for a bit and then blot them dry. It gentles down the bite, if that’s what you want.

Getting hungry,
Veb

If you can’t get hold of a Vidalia you’ll find a good substitute in the Texas 10/15.
These are the only two onions most people should eat raw…with mayo on rye. mmmmm
What makes these onions mild is the lack of sulphur in their growing soil.
mmmm…mmmmmmmm. gud eatin.

[dwtno staggers from post to post, growing more and more nauseous]

My god… you are a bunch of nasty sickos! Just keep 'em all well away from me.

To putrid: Nope, I’ll eat, and enjoy, just about anything… but not onions. Makes me shudder just to think about 'em.

Onions are great. Not if you’re looking at kissing someone after injesting thm, however…

Yer pal,
Satan

I love onions and despise mushrooms.

My girlfriend love moushrooms and loathes onions.

We got kind of a Jack Sprat thang goin’ on, though it does make it diificult to split a pizza.

Raw onions: all the proof I’ll ever need of the existence of God.

And, oh yes, I like circus peanuts too.

Raw onions are the thing for me
I’ll eat 'em fried and baked, etc, but I like raw onions. They don’t even make me cry.

I had a roommate once who couldn’t cut an onion, as he would tear so badly, and couldn’t fathom how I could eat slice after slice of 'em raw

I love onions. I have about twenty recipes that deal with just onions alone. Plus all I have to do to keep the spouse away from my side of the pizza is to get mine with onions, 'cause he hates 'em. hehehehehe. Now green peppers I can do without.

~tomorrow is promised to no one~

I love onions!

During vadalia season, I will slice an onion thick, BBQ it on the grill with lots of seasonings, and put it on a toasted hamburger bun with lettuce, tomato, and mayo.

Mmmm Mmmmmm!!

>^,^<
KITTEN
Please tell your pants it’s not polite to point.

VIDALIA ONION PIE

1 1/2 cups finely crushed buttery crackers (such as Ritz crackers)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onions or other sweet onions
3/4 cup milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
Paprika
Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix crackers and 4 tablespoons butter in bowl until well blended. Press mixture on bottom and 1 inch up sides of 8-inch pie plate.

Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 12 minutes. Arrange onions in cracker crust. Beat milk, eggs and salt in medium bowl until blended. Season with pepper. Pour egg mixture over onions in crust. Sprinkle cheese over filling. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake pie until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Gaaaghhhhh! No… more… onion… talk…

Must… escape… onions…

slump

crash

[Now please, I *know<i/> I’m not the only onion hater out there. Speak up people!]

My god, she’s passed out!

Quick! I’ll rub her wrists with these julienned scallions…Opalcat, pass that sliced onion under her nose…Diane, get the leeks ready…UncleBeer, you stuff her socks with shallots!

Uke

If you guys love onions, you gotta try shallots.

I recently had them for the very first time. I marinated steak in a molasses, balsamic vinegar and shallot glaze…

Yum!

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto.

[Homer]Shaaaaaalooootttssss - Mmmmmmmmmmmm[/Homer]

My leaks?!? Ya pervert!

Ohhhh, leeks. Nevermind.

>^,^<
KITTEN

sputter sputter

gag

patooie

What the…?

Gee, thanks for nothing people.

And Ike, sorry to break it to ya, but I’m an outie, not an innie. Not your fault (damn gender-neutral username), but ain’t nothing like being casually called a woman to deflate even the manliest of men.

Back to the topic at hand… isn’t anyone going to rally behind the anti-onion flag?

Well damn! That explains why the shallots wouldn’t fit.

>^,^<
KITTEN

Onions are wonderful. The only ones I’ll eat raw, though, are the little pearl onions. Red onions are OK as long as they’re in a sandwich with many other ingredients.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry

Ha ha, poor dwtno. :frowning: I shouldn’t laugh but I find this rather funny. He expected some commiseration, after his call to arms against onions, but instead was met with dozens of professions of our love for the taste of onions. I’ll have to keep that in mind when I choose to start a thread.

As there are so many onion afficienados here, I have a question. Do onions thicken a dish? I never use recipes when cooking and generally throw in anything and everything which I happen to have in the fridge (as long as the item doesn’t seem too out-of-place.) My chili came out real thick one time. Could it have been the onions?

I don’t mind the taste of onions or garlic, but I hate the way both of them feel when you (accidentally, in my case) bite into them. Uccchhhh. It’s the tactile equivalent to scratching a car.

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

WeimarDog – almost peed my pants! No shortage of either here! Dog poo in the back and onions in the kitchen: YOU make the call!

ChrisCTP – if onions suck then why don’t they work for me in bed? Oh, wait! I see what you are saying NOW.

Sorry, hon, can’t jump on the hate onions band wagon. I love them. I put them in everything I can. Try making a meat loaf without them. It’s just not the same. But I’m one of those really weird types who likes garlic, spinach, mushrooms, hell, anything grown out of the ground. Even okra if it’s cooked right! As for the GAS they give me… I think that belongs in another thread!

Best!
Byz