I have no room for ugly jewlery

I really don’t get the hate for this type of jewelry. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but most jewelry appeals to a subset of the world. It’s a style that lots of people like and popularity tends to bring contempt.

You don’t like it, fine. Let it go at that.

Photo quality isn’t going to make a difference to the aesthetics of something that’s a piled-on wad of the most boring stone ever set in the most boring metal ever. Your linked set is okay, for white on white, but it’s also not as easy to find as the pile-on wad variety.

If you read my original post, you’ll see that this thread is meant to be light hearted.

I have similar feelings about the commercial hating on. A commercial has a man making an overture of affection to his prospective step-daughter who is clearly of an age to be unsure and anxious about what the upcoming nuptials means for her relationship with her mom and their family life and everyone accuses it of skeeviness?!

It’s the Folgers commercial all over again.

The Pandora stuff isn’t really my thing, it’s like Garanimals for jewelry. I love jewelry – from a whole range of price points and styles – but I like my jewelry to be distinctive. I don’t want it to look like everyone else’s. I will be snobby and say that anyone who thinks a Pandora bracelet is unique because the charms are individually selected is kidding herself.

Weirdly, I have a regular-style charm bracelet that I have enjoyed for years, and have collected charms from various trips and special occasions, it has kind of a 1960s junk jewelry look that I like. It’s harder to find interesting charms now that so much of what’s available is for Pandora and other branded charm bracelets.

I’m more or less neutral about Pandora bracelets.The idea appeals to me because I have long enjoyed traditional charm bracelets like this one. I have bracelets that belonged to my great-grandmother, grandmother, mom, and my own. They’re nice reminders of travels and events. I cannot however, tell the difference between a $50 Pandora bead and the $6 (or 4 for $20) beads that were all over the state fair I went to this summer. (I assume I could by weight or close examination, but standing at a conversational distance I couldn’t)

I heard a friend call them “Glittery Testicles” Don’t know if it’s better or worse. I do know I’d sooner wear a Pandora bracelet.

“Chocolate Diamond” also makes for a great pimp name.

If he were just getting the kid a gift, or even a gift along the same lines as her mom’s necklace, nobody would think anything of it, other than to deride the aesthetics of the jewelry. But no, he’s giving his tweenage step-daughter the exact same gift as the adult woman he’s fucking. And that’s kind of…awkward. You’re talking about two people of totally different life stages, with whom he has (or should have) totally different relationships. You wouldn’t expect someone to think the exact same gift is appropriate to give both of them.

Yes, and? It’s a necklace shaped like an open heart which is a traditional symbol of love of the platonic, familial and romantic varieties; not a coupon to dildosRus.

I have no interest in a Pandora bracelet, but I do dislike the attitude that because you think something is ugly, you won’t buy it as a gift for someone who really wants it. Just because you have no room for ugly jewelry doesn’t meant that your friend has no room for it.

I’m just bitter because I wanted a cardigan from a certain designer for Chanukah. Because i knew about my parents’ pickiness in choosing something they like for me, I gave them 8 different sweater options. My mother informed me that “your father thinks they’re all ugly.” She ended up buying me a cardigan at Target (this was in no way a money issue – I and my siblings received many other far more expensive gifts, some of which were technology that we didn’t want or couldn’t use). Would it have been that difficult to buy me a sweater I would have really appreciated, even if you thought it was ugly?

In what universe is a heart a symbol if plat

In what universe is a heart a symbol of platonic love? In my universe it’s a symbol of romantic love and skeevy as fuck for a stepfather to give to a tween girl, and that’s not even counting the fact that he gave the same gift to his sexual partner, surely symbolizing his platonic feelings for her too, right?

The only person I’ve ever heard expressing a desire for the double-ass pendant, was Joy on My Name is Earle and it was meant to indicate her bad taste and trashiness.

In this one. You know, the one that has the abbreviation I <3 you? The one where little kids cut out red construction paper hearts to give to people on valentine’s day? Or did you think they were all perverts too?

edit: Now I’m really curious how you people interpret the Grinch’s heart growing three sizes.

Or they had a zillion made and are still trying to unload the fugly things :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know, a long elegant hand in a real human color rather than that flat white background might set them off better.

However, if you do have long elegant hands, you can wear something like what I posted.
In yellow gold.
With a color stone.

Let him buy her a teddy bear. Or a microscope. Or a savings bond. Anything but jewelry. Hell, that’s not just creepy, it’s rude.

Okay, maybe if mom’s married him, he can give her a birthstone necklace. But that’s it.

Everything about that commercial says, “Come here, little girl …”

Like I said, if he’d gotten her a different necklace from the same collection, nobody probably would have batted an eye. I have a (closed) heart pendant my parents bought me years ago, and don’t consider it inappropriate. But gifts of jewelry above about the $20 mark are, for good or ill, often symbolic of the relationship between giver and recipient. Giving the necklace is depicted as a symbolic act* right there in the bleeding ad*. They’re having him symbolically say “I feel the exact same way about you as I do your mom.” That’s nice if you don’t think about it much–“Aww, he loves them both!”–but someone shouldn’t feel the exact same way about their kids as they do their spouse, ya know?

I tend to avoid buying categories of things I think are ugly because I don’t feel comfortable evaluating them without A LOT of guidance. If I don’t have the foggiest idea what the appeal of a general item is, it’s damn near impossible to know what specific characteristics will make you like Unappealing Item X more or less than Unappealing Item Y. That makes it really hard to shake the conviction that I’m probably buying something we’ll both hate, which doesn’t exactly make buying the gift a fun and exciting enterprise iyswim. A situation like you describe with your parents, where someone picks out a handful of specific options for me to choose from, fine. I can do that. But much less than that and I’d really prefer to just figure out something else to get you.

I guess I don’t, since he neither says that literally or symbolically.

I’ve never seen this commercial before, but I do think it is weird the future step-father would give the same style of necklace to the daughter that he gave his wife. Apart from the creepiness factor, what teenage girl wants to be twinsies with her mom?

When I was a teenager, I was into the wildest, funkiest, most “out there” jewelry I could find. Stuff that would make my mother scream. Anything advertised on primetime television would have been completely out of the question. Doubly so if my mother actually owned one.

From the commercial I’ve seen it’s not a teenager, but a little girl. I didn’t catch any creepy vibe from the commercial, and don’t see anything wrong with the sentiment, even if the actual jewelry isn’t very attractive to my eye.

Here is the commercial. Some of the commentators also noted the creepiness.