I have Norwalk virus

I once had the joy of having both parental figures suffering from food poisoning at once. The only thing that even began to mitigate the situation was the fact that there was a bidet in the rental house.

Perfect for firing out both ends AND tandem puking.

I walked like an Norwegian for nearly a week. It was quite embarassing.

A few years ago my wife and I both went down with a bug in Marrakesh. Fortunately I only got the effects at the southern end of my system (I haven’t thrown up in 20 years), and we were able to alternate with the single bathroom. :stuck_out_tongue:

Back when I had it I sat on the toilet with a bucket in my lap. It was… not fun.

Wash your hands well and often. You get it from coming into contact with traces of other people’s feces and sometimes vomit, which is why it’s so common on cruise ships and their slightly less than adequate hygiene capabilities.

I am a nut for washing my hands frequently [no not that frequently, my OCD is counting stuff …] mainly because I potter in the kitchen a fair amount, and don’t want to either cross contaminate foods or rub pepper juice in my eyes or private bits:eek::smiley: I probably wash my hands about once an hour or so - between cooking and using crutches or a wheelchair and being an inveterate eye rubber I like to keep clean hands.

And do you get stomach/intestinal bugs very often? I wash my hands a lot, and I seem to escape those bugs when they make the rounds at work better than 95% of the time.

Oooh, I’ve had Norwalk twice. It’s brutal. A year ago March my oldest son got it, and because he’s diabetic he was in hospital three days. Got him home, and my husband, toddler, and I all succumbed in succession. It took weeks for everyone to be fully recovered.
I am praying that we don’t get it again ever because now there’s four kids and two adults to get sick. Yuck.

Nope, last one I had was a result of some idiot serving non cooked food made while suffering themself and apparently not washing their hands. I now dislike picnics unless I am the one making the food. But once in 10 years isn’t bad, though right now I think my gallbladder is giving it up because I am havng symptoms =(

Now it makes sense. We took a cruise a couple of weeks ago. If we left the ship, we were STRONGLY encouraged to take a squirt of hand sanitizer before re-entering the ship. Before we entered the dining room, the same was even MORE strongly suggested (one guy wouldn’t let me pass until I took a squirt). Not sure how effective these are against viruses though (wiki says effective against some viruses).

We call that “two exits, no waiting” in our house. :cool:

Not fun.

Last time I got a bug, it was from the water in Bucharest. I found out later from our Romanian friends that even they won’t drink water from a tap in Bucharest! :rolleyes: Now you tell me… Luckily it was an “exit only” type of thing, but I spent two days in a “spartan” bathroom at an athletic training facility before “stopping up” long enough to get on a plane home!

Norovirus is fairly resistant to alcohol. It will have some effect, but not as much as alcohol has against bacteria.

I have it again. :frowning:

A combination of dirty colleagues and shitty immune system, I guess. Except I have an exam coming up and I can’t afford to be sick! This blows.

That it does. From both ends. Generally at once.

Hope you’re over it soon!

It’s actually less common on cruise ships than it is in the general (US) population but cruise ships are the only mandated reporters so everyone associates it with them. Also when an outbreak happens there’s no where to go.

You might get lucky. Either I get weak strains, or my immune system just hates it, but I have never had noro last even 24 hours before it passed.

When I caught it back in the OP, the dehydration kicked my ass, and it was a full week before I started feeling better. This time, I broke out the immodium and gravol pretty quickly. All things considered, some 26 hours into it, I feel MUCH better than last time. I’m just…weak. :frowning:

It can’t be said enough: Wash your hands with soap and water. Hand sanitizers are not a panacea.

I hope you get well soon!

on edit: Or, better, this

The OP should get his vitamin D levels checked.

and brush his teeth. Sheesh!