[QUOTE=glee]
I went for a job once, which asked for computing experience that I had.
When I got there, the interviewer apologised and explained that their advertisement wasn’t quite correct. They wanted something else too (which I hadn’t used). ![]()
I explained that I didn’t have the required experience, but was keen to learn.
The interviewer stared at me. Had I done the wrong thing? ![]()
“Everyone I’ve seen so far has immediately claimed they know all about this program. When I ask detailed questions, it’s clear they are bluffing. You’re the first honest person I’ve met today.” ![]()
They didn’t offer me the job, but said I would be top of the list if something I knew about came along.
So my firm recommendation is to stick to the truth. If they don’t tell you what it’s about, it’s not a problem if you haven’t got the experience.
[/QUOTE]
I had a similar experience. Having sent my resume through an acquaintance who worked at this company, I got called in for an interview for a researcher position in a different group than my acquaintance was in. The interview involved a woman from HR and the head of the research team (which so far consisted of himself). He asked me whether I knew a ton of analytical techniques: I said which ones I’d performed often, which ones occasionally, which ones I’d performed but hadn’t touched in years, which ones I could interpret the results but hadn’t run the machine. After I said “not sure, maybe I know it by another name but I certainly don’t know it by that one” to a technique, he grinned bigger than the grin smiley and turner to the HR woman saying “sign her up, please”.
HRwoman: “but she didn’t know those things?”
Boss: “she knows the ones we actually need and can interpret the ones that we’ll have to send to other labs and just get back the picture to interpret. And she’s honest!”. Then he turned to me and explained that everybody else had claimed to know every technique (including that last one he’d just “invented”) but been unable how to run even the most commonplace ones :smack:
The company blew goats, but he was one of my nicest bosses.
