I have to call the vet in the morning for "the talk."

Our Keeshond, Pepper, is dying. She’s had a large cancerous tumor on her back for the past several months, and the cancer has spread to her abdomen. We’ve been feeding her by hand for the past 2 months, but she’s pretty much stopped eating. She drinks very little. The tumor throws her balance off, so if she sleeps on her side, she can’t get up by herself. Pepper’s become incontinent, and stopped making an effort to tell me she needs to go out.

In addition to all that, she’s lost her spirit. There’s no fight left in her. I hate to think that she’s suffering at this point. She’s almost 14, and outlasted all her litter mates except 1.

And of course, my wife’s in the States, and none of my kids live at home. I’ve been laying on the dog’s blankies with her, stroking her head behind her ears, and crying.

So sorry to hear that Pepper is fading. It’s so hard to say goodbye to a beloved pet. She’s had long, wonderful life thanks to you. My sincerest sympathies.

It sounds like you’ve given her an excellent life. She was lucky to have you.

In this difficult time, consider an at-home vet visit rather than taking her to the office. It may be less stressful for all involved.

That’s already on my list to ask. Pepper never liked going to the vet, and it would certainly be better for her.

I’m so very sorry. I know how difficult this is. Hugs.

Poor Pepper. Hope the end is as peaceful as it can be. {{{{Hugs}}}}:heart::heart::heart:

Hugs to you. I understand, because I had to do that with my cat in March. :frowning: He was 18 years old.

I’m glad you’re considering having a vet come to your home. Being in familiar surroundings should be a comfort to your pet in her final hours, and she will go knowing your touch and hearing your beloved voice at the end. It is the kindest thing you can do for her.

This is one of the hardest things a person ever has to do. I’m so sorry Pepper is fading.

Some time ago, in a similar thread, someone posted a link to this poem by Kipling. Got tissues?

https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/power_of_dog.html

I’ll give my own dog extra scritches. Wishing the best for you and Pepper

We had to euthanize one of our doxies this last August. She had a seizure disorder that was getting worse, and the medication (athough we kept increasing the dose) wasn’t working.

We took her to our vet, and it was handled so well. We love our vet.

Doesn’t make it any easier, but she’s at peace now and no longer suffering. I still cry at the drop of a hat and probably will for a while.

It’s the last gift we can give them. Better a day too early than a day too late. Hugs to you all.

If your vet doesn’t do home visits and your Pepper loves car rides you could ask your vet to send her on her way in your car/vehicle or next to it vs going inside.

We did that for my big dog when she was failing (she outlasted her brother by 7 months… they went down hill the same way). I laid a garbage bag down on the van’s floor and covered it with the blanket we buried her in. She enjoyed the last ride as much as she could. The vet climbed in petting her and gave her the injections. My husband and I stroked and crooned to her as she left us. She’s buried next to her brother under an Oak tree out at The Shop (her brother’s Master is hubby’s BFF and it’s his farm).

I called the vet’s office, and we have an appointment for late Sunday afternoon. One of my kids is coming home tomorrow for the weekend, and the other two will come home Saturday night to say goodbye. I warned them that if I see Pepper really having problems, I would not wait.

In the meantime, Pepper walked outside for a bit, then I carried her over to her favorite spot in a nearby park so she could get some fresh air and watch the people walk by. She’s loved that spot ever since the park was put in last year. After we came in I tried feeding her (she refused) then I laid down on her blankies with her until she fell asleep.

I’m so sorry to hear this.
I just lost my 13 year old Golden, Grace, last week. Mercifully, she went very quickly, even though she had been in poor health for quite awhile. From refusing to eat to passing naturally was only a few days.

Oh, Lord, I know it hurts terribly. Give her a pain free peace. It’s time. :frowning:

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry to hear this. It’s hard to lose a pet. I hope your remaining time together is as peaceful as possible. My thoughts are with you.

Sorry, it’s rough but you are making the right call IMHO. I had a cat who was having difficulty in similar ways finally I brought her in for the needle. Almost blind and deaf I placed my hand infront of her nose for her to know I was with her. She licked my hand as to say thank you.

In some ways I should have brought her in sooner by about a year, but it was a happy ending. RIP Vanna

Well, now she’s stopped eating even her favorite treats. She’s drinking here and there, and she licked humus off my fingers. Other than that, she’s just sleeping away.:frowning:

Not the worst way to go…