I just can't stand standing. How weird am I?

Hi. I’m Aspidistra, and I hate standing. I have always hated standing. Standing still, that is.

Not because I’m high-energy twitchy can’t-bear-to-stand-still (I’m not).

Not because I’m lazy. I am lazy, mind you. But I can walk. I like walking. I can walk for hours. It’s just standing in one spot that’s the issue.

Waiting on the platform for a train, I’ll be strolling down one end of the platform, then turning round and strolling up to the other end of the platform, then turning round and strolling… meanwhile, there are a half a dozen people standing in one spot with their hands in their pockets looking at me like I’m the peculiar one.

At a lunch today, everyone’s standing round with their food chatting - it’s in a school yard, plenty of bench seats about, and as I’m chatting I’m doing my usual thing when absolutely forced to stand in one spot - point one toe, balance on the other foot … thirty seconds, point the other toe, change feet … thirty seconds, change feet. Looking round I’m the only person doing this. Did I mention there are plenty of seats? Exactly one person is sitting - she’s arthritic and walks with a stick. Impossible to lure any other people over to the sitting area. I go for a couple of circuits of the school grounds just to let off steam. Apparently I’m the only person whose feet are screaming at them to either USE them or GTF OFF them.

There must be someone else out there like this - right? Scale of one to ten - how weird am I?

I hate, hate, hate standing around. I even get edgy when people in movies stand around talking. I want to yell at them to sit down, FFS!

That doesn’t mean you aren’t weird, by the way. Just that I’m weirder.

I’m similar but much less severe. I prefer walking to standing, but I can stand still for ten or fifteen minutes before it starts to get uncomfortable.

In college (ca 1970), I knew one woman who would “perch” - stand with one leg reflexed (knee relaxed), with her hands, palms facing forward, in her hip pockets (she lived in jeans).

I have never seen anyone else with such a tic. Congratulations on carrying on the habit for another generation :stuck_out_tongue:

I might be your evil twin. When forced to wait, like at the bank or DMV or someplace, I can easily be mistaken for statuary.

I don’t mind standing around, but it’s murder on my back. Walking is fine, waiting in line is torture. Amusement parks can be a real problem because of the lines.

My knees start hurting when I stand in one place to long. I’m another pacer and shifter.

I don’t like to stand, but I can deal. Kinda had to for a lot of years, what with being in the Navy and having to do far too many ceremonial standing-in-formation deals. I tend to pace if I can’t sit.

I don’t care for standing around myself. In my case, it’s the plantar fasciitis. I can walk for awhile with no problem, but standing for more than a couple of minutes is too painful. When I have to listen to a long story from my boss in his office, I start shifting from one foot to the other. I’m sure he interprets my body language as that he’s boring me, but in reality I’m in pain.

I am totally with you.

It seems to have something to do with how much I am interested in the activity at hand: if I’m reading a book in the aisle of a book store, I can stand around for a long time, but if I’m waiting in line, standing is tedious.

But… I run a lot, and it does not bother me to run for an hour or two at a stretch. I have a good friend who is really into long walks, and we occasionally go out for a few hours walking.
The walking tires me more than the running, and if I were to stand for the same amount of time I’m certain I would be exhausted.

So for me, Standing is worse than walking, and walking is worse than running. Who can understand that?

So, when it comes to Stephen King novels, you prefer The Long Walk to The Stand?

Yoga class made me realize how hard is to stand still. But for me, it’s all about balance. When I’m walking, my momentum (I guess? I struggled with physics.) helps me to stay level. But when I’m standing still, especially with my feet close together, I’m all weebly-wobbly. I’ll sway while everyone else is standing motionless. My guess is that it’s a proprioception thing.

Standing motionless is intolerable to me and I feel like I’m suffocating trying to do it.
Do non-weird people actually like it?
If they are at home, do they ever stand besides while cooking/brushing teeth/etc.?

I hate standing to the extent that I sit while cooking and brushing my teeth.

All my life I hated brushing my teeth, and then I broke my foot and had to figure out a way to do it while sitting. All of a sudden, it turned out that brushing my teeth wasn’t a problem at all - it was just the standing part that I hated.

Still hate cooking though - sitting or standing.

Woot, I have peeps! :wink:

I realised after posting that I do have one exception to the “no-standing rule” - I can handle it when I’m singing in choir. Either it’s sufficiently distracting, or else the small degree of movement and effort involved is enough to put me into the “gentle activity” category, like walking.

I probably wouldn’t put it as strong as ‘suffocating’ - but there definitely is a whole-body feeling of stress that comes over me with standing more than a minute or so. My heart starts pounding, and I have to breathe deeper. I’ve always wondered if it had something to do with my rather low blood pressure - I just need some movement happening to get that circulation going a little bit better.

minor7flat5 on the other hand … yeah, you’re definitely winning in the weirdness stakes. :wink: It’s a good weird though!

Interesting article on the subject (kinda)

I used to hate standing when I was heavier. My feet would start hurting fairly quickly; walking was much better. But after losing some weight this is much less of a problem.

This is me to a T - sometimes literally, since a lot of my public transit-waiting over the years occurred in the Boston area.*
*For those who don’t get the joke, we refer to Boston’s subway/trolley system as “the T.”

Standing in one place isn’t my favorite. At work, depending on where I’m assigned I have to sometimes but even then I’ll make a little track of 3-4 feet and move back and forth in it.

I went for a Sunday long run this afternoon (at the Y… terrible weather) and was running for around two hours. I am exhausted and my legs are sore, and the muscles are thinking of doing little jumpy things, but…

…my lower back feels absolutely none of the discomfort that I would have felt if it were only an hour of standing still. Standing sucks. I think I could have been a dentist or barber anyway because they are always in motion and doing things.

Oh hey, me too! If I have to stand in one place more than about thirty seconds it really, really bugs me. (About thirty seconds is fine.) Walking is far preferable.

And I also have the exception of choir and musical things in general. Some of this may be training as a violinist, where I was expected to perform on my feet, and some of it may in fact be that I do more swaying and moving around than most musicians (I’ve been called on this before and I try to keep it to a minimum, but…)

I’ve always thought that it was because of my flat feet, but maybe that’s not all of it?

At work everyone is starting to get these standing desks, and they just fill me with horror…