I just don't get it...

This is such a minor rant that I don’t feel right about putting it in the Pit. But I do feel moved to say something–useless as it may be.

Today, driving on an errend from work, I got stuck THREE times behind three different cars, each going about seven miles per hour. Now, I’m no speed demon…but I like to actually move faster in the car than if I walked. The thing that was so frustrating was that all three of these (different) cars was that they were all Intrepids.
I can appreciate the irony in having a car called ‘Intrepid’ and driving seven miles per hour, not turning until there are NO cars coming for a mile in the opposite direction, and turning on the turn signal four blocks before you turn. And I wouldn’t want these people to be dangerous idiots just because their car has a bold name. But come on…
This isn’t the first time I’ve come across an Intrepid owner who’s been somewhat meek in terms of driving. I suppose I just think it’s rather interesting…

See? I told you it was minor. But thanks to your gracious patience, I feel much better.

Aww, poor struuter. I totally sympathize. At least twice a week, I take the back roads to work instead of the highway to avoid the traffic. Then I get stuck behind a school bus.

You know what helps me relieve stress when I drive? If I get a BJ while stuck in traffic. That’s just me though. Hey, here’s a thought – wanna carpool tomorrow? :wink:

Crunchy, hehe. Talk about ‘intrepid.’ :wink:

um, struuter:
Better read Crunchy Frog’s postings in http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=40633 (The SDMB Zoo!), first. (One of these days, I’m going to parse correctly!)

You were warned. :smiley:

Warning noted and appreciated. :smiley: Crunchy…kinda like a Midas touch of sorts, in’it?

But if you read up about the frogs on the link I provided, you will learn that the frogs lose some of their toxins when in captivity. So I’m ok, I promise. I’ve been captive for a looooong time.

If you’ve heard one story about you men and your toxins, you’ve heard 'em all. :smiley:

Damn screech-owls, ruining other peoples chances for a good . . . carpool.

The owl’s just jealous cuz this is one frog that it can’t eat. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t wait to see what the response to that line will be. :slight_smile:

I’m not in the zoo, yet. I’ve no idea what I’d be…

Frogs and other small insignificant creatures :stuck_out_tongue: are usually swallowed whole in one gulp. The bones and other indigestable materials are horked up aftewards as castings, also known as pellets. Seeing that poison dart frogs (as you claim to be) are not native to the area and are not a normal part of a screech-owl diet, you are safe in that you would be ignored as non-normal. [Knowing the effects of that poison as per your stats, the self-preservation gene would likely kick in, also. I still have a picture from one of my college biology textbooks of a blue jay retching after eating a monarch butterfly. Poor thing.]

Luv ya anyway. :smiley:

Wow, look at that long dissertation on the eating habits of the screech-owl. Why get so technical? Hiding your true feelings behind that dry, encyclopedic responce? Go on, admit it. You wanna eat me, don’t you?

[singing childishly]
Screech-owl wants to eat me!
Screech-owl wants to eat me!
Nyaa Nyaa Nyaa!
[/singing childishly]

(BTW, struuter, I am so sorry for hijacking your thread. I promise my next post wil be about lousy stupid drivers)

CF, dearest, darling:

Didn’t even ruffle a feather over that one. (Actually, I cut down the lecture to a level you might be able to comprehend. :smiley: )

I was concerned, however, about the amount of time since you last posted here, that you’d forgotten about this thread, like everything else as mentioned in your other thread, “Oops, I forgot what I was gonna post”.

:ducking and flying off very fast, not even bothering to parse: :stuck_out_tongue:

Them’s BBQ Pit words, Pilgrim. This little bright blue poisonous frog is putting your name on The List now. :stuck_out_tongue:

180+ views, and only three people actually posting here. Is everyone else just sitting back and enjoying the show?

Yes.

Oh, dammit, you caught us out!

Owls don’t BBQ well. Not too much edible meat, the feathers char easily, and a little federal law called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. :slight_smile: Come to think of it, your little blue skin would sizzle pretty badly, too.

Hello to all you voyeurs out there!

Getting back to the original topic (before CF promised he would [nyah to you :D]), I was stuck on the interstate behind a Porsche doing LESS than the posted speed limit, and traffic going much faster even in the right lane. The driver was a male about 45, not wearing a hat, and just driving slow on the interstate. Only saw one Intrepid (maybe it was an Intrepid - it was zipping by, doing at least 75 in a 55).

Back to CF…

You started it. You insisted you were poisonous. I merely pointed this factoid out to struuter (remember struuter? the one who started this thread? hi struuter! haven’t forgotten you!) :slight_smile: And as a matter of fact, you wanted to be a polar bear when I and others pointed out the coolness of frogs in general, particularly the SA genera.

Oh, so now it’s my fault? Nuh-uh. No way.

:smiley:

screech-owl
ok, ok. But you picked one hell of a bad time to fight ignorance about poisonous frogs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad you took the BBQ Pit thing as the joke it was supposed to be. (C’mon all you lurkers out there, who clicked on it thinking it was a real link?)

So, back to the OP: I forget the comedian who said it (George Carlin ?) but haven’t you noticed everyone driving faster than you is a maniac, and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot?

[Actually, this was kinda fun!]

In Florida, the left-turn signal means either:

“I am turning left in 500 feet”, or
“I have been turning left for the last 5 miles.”
And I clicked the link, too; just to make sure you meant it as a joke! :smiley: And I was impressed with the number of views, too!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

If you need me, I will be out editing the volunteer tour guide manual. Been fun trading barbs wi’cha!

Is there some award for having a thread containing references to: sex, animals, toxins, pellets, burnt owl flesh, stupid drivers, George Carlin, John Wayne (twice, in two different ways), and only three posters?

I think that’s got to be up for something, don’t you? Oh, I forgot…you’re just watching. :smiley:

struuter - you forgot to add to your list how we have learned in this thread how an owl eats its prey.

Now, you want some more references?

Next time you find yourself stuck behind a slow moving car, remember what Johann Wolfgang Goethe said:
“Everything in the world may be endured except continued prosperity.”